Teenagers

Ksack

I'm sure I'm considered an over-protective mother, but I was curious about those with teenagers how do you communicate with your teen on board?

I'm thinking of if they want to leave the teen area and find us on deck, etc....

We have cell phones, but I wasn't sure if we'd incur international or roaming charges if she calls us.

I'm sure I'm considered an over-protective mother, but I was curious about those with teenagers how do you communicate with your teen on board?

I'm thinking of if they want to leave the teen area and find us on deck, etc....

We have cell phones, but I wasn't sure if we'd incur international or roaming charges if she calls us.

For most carriers, it will be $2.49 per minute on each end for a call. Texts are much cheaper, but never, ever, ever let a teen carry a phone with texting available. Hundreds of texts an hour are possible.

The best method of keeping in touch is the iconcierge app, if your phones will run it. You pay a fee to activate the messaging/calling function and then you can keep in touch using the ships wifi, with no further charges.

Some people have reported times when you lose connection, buy generally I believe it's pretty reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best method of keeping in touch is the iconcierge app, if your phones will run it. You pay a fee to activate the messaging/calling function and then you can keep in touch using the ships wifi, with no further charges.

Some people have reported times when you lose connection, buy generally I believe it's pretty reliable.

I agree iconcierge - otherwise, meet in certain place certain time and tell us where you are going so you know where to look if they are running late,

iconcierge is only available on the newer ships though like EPIC, Breakaway, Getaway for instance.

The texting portion of the iConcierge app is only available for use on the Epic and the Breakaway according to NCL.

Edited by DinaS

I agree iconcierge - otherwise, meet in certain place certain time and tell us where you are going so you know where to look if they are running late,

iconcierge is only available on the newer ships though like EPIC, Breakaway, Getaway for instance.

So do they give you a link for the iconcierge app once you board?

I have a teenage son. My one and only child, so you want to talk about over protective... :D

He has gone on many cruises and before each cruise we set the laws down! We don't have a ton of rules. Mainly, he's free to choose what he wants to do on sea days but dinner as a family is a usually a non-negotiable. We make an exception for when the teen club has their dinner party, and thats when we go to Cagney's or one of the other restaurants. The other big rule is he must meet us at the times we have agreed on. If he doesn't he will be going straight to the cabin! No if, ands or buts! I am lucky in that he eats and breathes basketball, so 90% of the time if I want to ck on him I will find him at the bb court or in the pizza area.

Our normal routine-- hubby and I get breakfast and let him sleep in. We'll usually come back around 9:30/10 and wake him up. Once he's up and dressed we ask him his plans, tell him where we will be and what time to come see us. Usually it's around 2 hrs later. Once he comes, we'll chit chat, we'll tell him where we'll be and off he goes again for 2 hrs. And that pretty much repeats until about 6, when he has to be back in the cabin to shower and get ready for dinner. After dinner he goes to the teen club until they close, which I think is 1.

He knows that I am serious as a heart attack and if he does not follow the rules he will have to be our side and have the most awful vacation ever, therefore he complies. :D

Best of luck!

I would tell my son 2 or 3 maximum places to find me, and he would need to specify 1 or 2 places he will be. Then we would have a set time and place to meet. In the event a change came up, we'd know where to look for each other to inform each other. It's worked for plenty of generations before cell phones, so it will still work now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

About to go on 11th cruise with my now teenaged kids (four, ages 18 thru 16). Check in every two hours or so. Public areas only. No staterooms other than ours, and nobody other than our family on our staterooms. Meals are not negotiable; all are as a family. Let me catch you acting crazy and disturbing someone else's vacation and I will shut your world down. Stuff like that!

They always have a great time, but you simply cannot be too vigilant. Look on the HAL board about the woman who was just raped. I take their safety and regard for other passengers very seriously, as does my law enforcement husband. They CAN have fun and rules at the same time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for posting about the app. Great news for us.

You think you are overprotective? I won't even get a balcony stateroom! I like to know the kids (an almost teen and a teen) can go back to the room and I don't have to think for a second about that balcony. We do get a window though, since they don't open. LOL :D

Does I concierge work on iPads, or only on phones?

Any iOS device, although I've never tried the calling bit of it, so I can't confirm how well that works on ones which aren't phones. I imagine they are ok.

I actually use my iPod Touch for iconcierge. It saves any concern that i may accidentally pick up any calls or texts using the phone and get charges on my bill. If works great.

It amazes me these comments with parents who say they're over protective..I must be the most over protective mother there is then as my teen would never be allowed to roam the cruise ship?? What age teens are we talking about? I would sign my kids in and out of a teen program. I do tend to watch my kids like hawks there is way to many problems that can arise..I've always seen mischievous teen behavior on cruises and always have wondered where are these kids parents. Now I get it, parents actually let their kids roam free..

I have three teen girls and we have never had an issue and have been on lots of cruises. We generally eat meals together and in the morning we show them where we are sitting by the pool. We have meet back times at the room for dinner. They do roam the ship and this has never been a problem. Usually they find a few friends and its fun to be able to go grab a ice cream together or walk around. Their curfew is when the teen club closes. I heard I concierge may not be working. Happy Cruising!

I have three teen girls and we have never had an issue and have been on lots of cruises. We generally eat meals together and in the morning we show them where we are sitting by the pool. We have meet back times at the room for dinner. They do roam the ship and this has never been a problem. Usually they find a few friends and its fun to be able to go grab a ice cream together or walk around. Their curfew is when the teen club closes. I heard I concierge may not be working. Happy Cruising!

I agree. My teen isn't "roaming" the ship alone getting into trouble. They find friends and are able to do the same, hang out, go to the arcade, go bowling, or have ice cream, etc. We always have meals together, go ashore together, and are in contact throughout the day.

BTW- Raindrops, the teen clubs on Norwegian state there are times throughout the day that the teen areas are unsupervised (other than the usual security camera). Kids can come and go as they please in that age group, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. There is no sign in/sign out for the teens 13-17.

Edited by andyandsue

It amazes me these comments with parents who say they're over protective..I must be the most over protective mother there is then as my teen would never be allowed to roam the cruise ship?? What age teens are we talking about? I would sign my kids in and out of a teen program. I do tend to watch my kids like hawks there is way to many problems that can arise..I've always seen mischievous teen behavior on cruises and always have wondered where are these kids parents. Now I get it, parents actually let their kids roam free..

At 16-18 years of age, my kids are certainly given freedom to be independent on a ship, as they are on land, with expectations and accountability. They can hold jobs, drive a vehicle and are nearly ready to leave the house for college! I can imagine signing my 17 yo in and out of a teen club...in a few months he can serve his country, but he needs mom to green-light a trip to the soft serve ice cream?

All good advice above.

I've been on two cruises with my youngest son (then 11 and 14) and are going on our third this summer when he is now 18.

On our first cruise we used walkie talkies (sorry!) because he was only 11. We pretty much stayed together but he did go to the kids club and arcade with his cousins. Never had a problem. He always knew where we were on the sun decks.

Second cruise we were more experienced and I let him have more freedom. He went to clubs, played basketball and hung out with his cousins.

Of course we always ate all meals together.

This cruise he will have total freedom as he will be 18. However, we will still have dinner all together every night.

He will know where we will be during the day and any excursions we will take altogether.

Happy Cruising!!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

I agree with Fivehole's post.

On our most recent cruise (my daughters first, 18 years old) she was given free roam with a few rules. The obvious ones like no other state rooms, no one in our stateroom, and be back here at such and such time for dinner.

She was made aware of the following days activities and what time we would need to be in port or catch a tender. If she stays out too late and is sleepy the next day and caused our shore trip to drag or whatnot, she would be left in said port. (just kidding).

She made friends the day we left Miami and spent most of her time hanging out with them. She generally made it back safe and sound to the stateroom around the time that Bliss closed each night.

You can't protect them their entire lives.

Edited by CP Tech

My ds15 and dd17 were given the same amount of freedom that they have at home - let me know where you are going, let me know if your plans change. At their ages, I'm not going to have them tied to my hip.

I let them know what meals and shows I expected them at, and I expected them to show up on time (and they did!).

Dd12, dd10, and ds10 got to go off a bit (head to the ropes course, go get something to eat), and we would meet up with them. Even on a ship as big as NCL Breakway, you cross paths often - only so much public space. My younger kids also have similar freedoms at home - all have dined in restaurants without adults, gone to the park, etc. The most important rule is to stay together.

Check in every two hours or so. Public areas only. No staterooms other than ours, and nobody other than our family on our staterooms. Meals are not negotiable; all are as a family. Let me catch you acting crazy and disturbing someone else's vacation and I will shut your world down.

I had to giggle b/c I tell my son "I will shut your world down!" too! :D

Yep, we are very adamant about the stateroom rule. The other thing I forgot to add earlier, I tell my son if you put your drink down and leave it unattended, just get a new one. Especially in the teen dance club, where its dark.