Existing medical conditions

Tiggerwasere

Hi, My husband and I are booked on the MSC Fantasia in April. I made enquiries about the drinks package and , during the conversation, said that my husband was a diabetic. This was to determine if water was available in the cabin. The lady I spoke to said she would find out from MSC and get back to me. However, she has now sent me a special needs medical form to be completed , with doctors note indicating if he is fit to travel. (My original enquiry about tap water was ignored ) My husbands condition is controlled by medication , not insulin injections so why does this form need to be filled in? This is our first cruise and nobody mentioned pre existing conditions at the time of booking. Can MSC stop us boarding if the form isn't filled in even though he doesn't have special needs and it doesn't look like it applies to him ?:eek:

Of course water is available in the cabin!

I'd call them back, tell them he has no special needs...and I wouldn't worry about it!

I did so and was informed that when the agent asked about water in the cabin and that my husband was diabetic MSC asked for the form to be filled in, despite being told he wasn't insulin dependent. I now have to wait for them to reply to the agents enquiry as to why this has to be done. Really angry now !

I'm guessing you are using a travel agent? Depending on the next response you get back, it may just be better to get the doctors note and be done with it.

I've been insulin diabetic for years and have never had any cruise line issues, however, once the TA raised the "issue" you probably now have to deal with the "system".

IMO< just fill in the form and stop stressing.

There is no such thing as privacy these days and if any of us think our medical conditions are kept confidential, we are kidding ourselves.

The whole issue got out of hand and is excessive to have to do this but sometimes it is 'just easier' to comply. The angyst and stress are more damaging IMO than simply doing what some pencil pusher is requiring.

Have a great cruise.

If the response you get is that the cruise line still wants a note from the Dr. saying your husband is fit to travel then bite the bullet and get it. Your file has no doubt been noted and if you don't have it come boarding time you run the risk of being denied boarding at check in without compensation should you be asked to produce it. I doubt insurance would cover your loss as it would be deemed a failure on your part to provide a commonly requested document.

I'm guessing you are using a travel agent? Depending on the next response you get back, it may just be better to get the doctors note and be done with it.

I've been insulin diabetic for years and have never had any cruise line issues, however, once the TA raised the "issue" you probably now have to deal with the "system".

If this is the case perhaps they will have to provide water free to meet his "special needs " ....well...a gals gotta try huh ?

If this is the case perhaps they will have to provide water free to meet his "special needs " ....well...a gals gotta try huh ?

:confused: I think it likely this is tongue in cheek :) but there is no reason for them to provide 'free water' other than from the tap. If any of us have special needs that require a given product, it is for us to provide for ourselves. Would any hotel provide free bottles of water because a particular guest could not/did not want to use the tap water?

Any of us who want bottled water on a ship that does not provide it to all, have to buy it for ourselves.

Hi, My husband and I are booked on the MSC Fantasia in April. I made enquiries about the drinks package and , during the conversation, said that my husband was a diabetic. This was to determine if water was available in the cabin. The lady I spoke to said she would find out from MSC and get back to me. However, she has now sent me a special needs medical form to be completed , with doctors note indicating if he is fit to travel. (My original enquiry about tap water was ignored ) My husbands condition is controlled by medication , not insulin injections so why does this form need to be filled in? This is our first cruise and nobody mentioned pre existing conditions at the time of booking. Can MSC stop us boarding if the form isn't filled in even though he doesn't have special needs and it doesn't look like it applies to him ?:eek:

Perplexed as to why you would have even placed a call to MSC about tap water in the first place? :confused: Not to sound snip but of course there's tap water in the room as the bathroom has a sink with both cold and hot running tap water . The water from the bathroom sink tap is perfectly fit to drink.

:confused: I think it likely this is tongue in cheek :) but there is no reason for them to provide 'free water' other than from the tap. If any of us have special needs that require a given product, it is for us to provide for ourselves. Would any hotel provide free bottles of water because a particular guest could not/did not want to use the tap water?

Any of us who want bottled water on a ship that does not provide it to all, have to buy it for ourselves.

Yes, it was tongue in cheek.But I should add that, as a first time cruiser, my enquiry was about water in the cabin, tap or not. We are happy to drink tap water if it is available. All of the hotels I have stayed in supplied water and tea and coffee facilities, I wasn't sure if this was the case with a cruise.

Perplexed as to why you would have even placed a call to MSC about tap water in the first place? :confused: Not to sound snip but of course there's tap water in the room as the bathroom has a sink with both cold and hot running tap water . The water from the bathroom sink tap is perfectly fit to drink.

I didn't know if it was fit to drink , not having been on a cruise before, hence my enquiry......wish I hadn't done so now, obviously a no no judging by all the replies

I did so and was informed that when the agent asked about water in the cabin and that my husband was diabetic MSC asked for the form to be filled in, despite being told he wasn't insulin dependent. I now have to wait for them to reply to the agents enquiry as to why this has to be done. Really angry now !

why would you think water is NOT available? pretty hard to take a shower without water. or flush the loo.

if you want bottled, or sparkling, you will need to pay for it. the tap water is perfectly safe to drink.

why would you think water is NOT available? pretty hard to take a shower without water. or flush the loo.

if you want bottled, or sparkling, you will need to pay for it. the tap water is perfectly safe to drink.

Ignorant I guess... But so was the TA who told me she didn't know and would enquire :p

You have three simple choices here: grow up and fill out the form, gamble and choose to not fill out the form, or whine up and take your money elsewhere. Pick one and move on already.

Coming from a family with a strong medical history of diabetes, I'm trying to figure out what water being available in the cabin has to do with it? I'm not being mean here. I'm just curious because that's never been a diabetes related concern for us going on any vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The purpose for the form is to make sure that the cruise line would not be at risk or not able to properly provide a safe environment for a passenger who has a medical condition that may defined as "special needs" or "at risk" They also only have limited medical care and staffing on board and want to be sure they understand any potential issues up front.

Regardless of who said what to whom, the question was basically raised by you and is now being properly followed up on from the cruise line's perspective. This doesn't remotely mean that they are trying to find a way to deny you boarding or anything devious. They just need to be assured that their passengers are fit to travel and that they - or the cruise line - would not be at risk. People with conditions requiring certain attention far more serious than that which you describe cruise every day. They only want to understand your situation and to be sure it is as insignificant as you say.

Nothing in this should cause you to be angry or in any way concerned. Just fill out the form with truthful answers and you will only be helping yourself and the cruise line. Refusal to do so would only raise this to a situation where they would be suspicious of something deeper and then it could become more of an issue.

In other words don't worry about why it is being requested, just fill it out and start planning your cruise. Also, the ships water is perfectly safe - probably treated better than your home tap water - and can be consumed from the faucet in a glass or delivered to your room (but likely with a charge) in bottled form.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

This whole exchange is a sad commentary on our litigious society. Once the cruise line has been put on notice (inadvertently or not) of a health condition, their knee jerk reaction has to be to protect themselves from possible claims, regardless of how unlikely they may be.

OP opened the can of worms - of course without meaning to - but now had just better respond as requested: if you do not know what red flag has been placed by your name, you do not want to risk a nasty surprise on boarding day.

Yes, it was tongue in cheek.But I should add that, as a first time cruiser, my enquiry was about water in the cabin, tap or not. We are happy to drink tap water if it is available. All of the hotels I have stayed in supplied water and tea and coffee facilities, I wasn't sure if this was the case with a cruise.

We did not understand from your posts just what your confusion was. Sorry if you found our responses offensive but we were not 'on the same page' as you.

We find the water from the tap on the ships to be more pure and taste better than most water that comes from all the zillions of bottles bought world wide. I am a big water drinker and just about never have bottled when on the ships except to bring a bottle ashore in port sometimes.

HAL ships do not permit any devices for heating water except as provided by them in the Pinnacle Suites (Penthouses). You cannot bring a heating coil or electrical device for making tea/coffee. You can get hot water 24/7 from Lido or from Room Service.

Again, very sorry if you think we were being unresponsive or snippy.

We did not understand from your posts just what your confusion was. Sorry if you found our responses offensive but we were not 'on the same page' as you.

(snipped)

Again, very sorry if you think we were being unresponsive or snippy.

Sail, this is not directly pointed at you, I just wanted to point out that at least you tried to be nice about along with a few others. Then again look at the reply by Peety3.. grow up? Stop whining?

Comments like that are not needed overall.

I'm also diabetic, currently on pills but my PC is threatening to put me on injectables so the tap water in the room concerns me also. And no, I'll guarentee that the ship water isnt purer than my well water, no way no how. Its one of the reasons I drink mainly bottled water, now maybe the ship water is purer than some bottled waters. ;)

I'll say that some of you tried to help the OP, but I've seen time & time again people like Peety who just troll the boards & give this whole forum a really bad name. I'm also gonna be a first time cruiser & was sharing this forum with others I know are going on our group cruise.. but now I dont due to garbage like those specific responses.

Fricking "clickish" people & trolls. :mad:

Sail, this is not directly pointed at you, I just wanted to point out that at least you tried to be nice about along with a few others. Then again look at the reply by Peety3.. grow up? Stop whining?

I'm also diabetic, currently on pills but my PC is threatening to put me on injectables so the tap water in the room concerns me also. And no, I'll guarentee that the ship water isnt purer than my well water, no way no how. Its one of the reasons I drink mainly bottled water, now maybe the ship water is purer than some bottled waters. ;)

I'll say that some of you tried to help the OP, but I've seen time & time again people like Peety who just troll the boards & give this whole forum a really bad name. I'm also gonna be a first time cruiser & was sharing this forum with others I know are going on our group cruise.. but now I dont due to garbage like those specific responses.

I was honestly just curious about the connection. My diabetic family members have never been concerned about water anymore than a non-diabetic person. The bigger concern has been keeping bs levels up in the heat and during excursions.

Chances are you file has now been flagged with a notation that your DH has a medical condition. So MSC is protecting themselves by having you fill out a form.

Fill it out -- and to be on the safe side -- get a letter from your doctor.

Better to be safe than sorry and have someone at the check-in pier deny you boarding the ship.

You must be on one extraordinary well if you can guarantee ship water isn't purer.

Cruise ship water that comes out of the faucet is quite pure. In fact I would guess that it is better than 99.9% of the water that comes out of faucets everywhere else.

Bottled water is a major scam. They have done double blind taste tests with Boston water, and Boston water always wins.

I have never understood the concept of drinking water that has sat in a plastic bottle for months on end being better than freshly produced water from a ship.

...Of course some people just cannot handle the concept of drinking water from the faucet, but when I grew up we used to drink from the plastic and rubber garden hose.

I'd call them back, tell them he has no special needs...and I wouldn't worry about it!

But the wife already told the agent he did have a special need for water due to a medical condition. Special needs would need to be informed at this point, or the lawyers would be all over this one.

If there was no special need for water, then she didn't have to say anything. But once you bring up a special need, no matter how minor, they have to follow procedures.