Single on HAL

doreen425

I want to cruise in March to the Caribbean and Panama. HAL has a great ititenary and price. I cruised solo last year to Alaska with Princess and basically it was a pretty lonely trip (the only solo travele on the entire ship). How does HAL treat adult singles. Princess was a bit snotty. When I asked for a table of solo travelers I was told we don't get many in an attitude. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Doreen

You do not mention your age. I am one who sails solo and I am 49yo. HAL and Princess are not who I would choose to cruise.

RCI will have a broader group of singles, IME, and they have always done a good job of seating me with other singles. Celebrity gives a warm welcome to solo cruisers but I think if you are looking for companionship, you would find fewer singles on X.

Hi Doreen:) sorry you had a problem with your TA...but that statement is not

always true.

(I am not a TA) but I have some good friends who are.....they are good at

what they do and are very honest as well.

Hopefully you can find a new TA and will be pleased with their service.

Hi Doreen,

I'm 52 and have done 2 solo cruises on HAL, with a 3rd one booked for this December. Have never asked to be seated at a table with other singles, but on a my first solo, there was a single man at my table, and last year there was a single man and another single woman.

Met lots of interesting people of all age groups, whether they be single, couples, or part of a group.

I've never cruised RCI, because they're unwavering in their demand for a 200% single supplement. Sorry you had a bad experience on Princess, because I've had friends sail them solo and they really enjoyed themselves.

What are your expectations as a solo cruiser? What would you like the cruise line to do for you? That might help us to find something that meets your needs.

Roz

I am at this point a single cruiser. Hubby passed away 8/03. Carnival does a nice job w/ dinner seating for singles. DD and I took Carnivl Victory 3/04 and were seated w/ a group of singles age range 25 (DD) - 80 (wish I cat approaching 58 at the time could keep up with her).

I have consdidered booking HAL on their single GTY program. Since I am a smoker I figure there is a >50% chance I will pay lower dble rate and end up w/ a cabin to myself.

I had a great cruise with Carnival sailing out of NY to Canada in early June 2003. I enjoyed my singles/solos late night dinner table and they had a great choice of nighttime entertainment.

I cruised on the Star Princess out of Seattle with 6 gal pals the year before--it was fun as a group but I don't think I would have enjoyed this cruise as much as a solo cruiser. Maybe it was the super big ship and the anytime type dining but, as a solo cruiser, I could see where this environment could feel lonely for a solo cruiser.

I would try HAL as a solo cruiser--mostly I've heard good things about this line. I figure that lower single supplements (like Carnival and HAL have) attract more solo cruisers.

Faith

• 2 weeks later...

I see that your original post was a couple of weeks ago so I hope I'm not too late to chime in here.

My late husband and I sailed many, many times with HAL. After my husband died, and I felt ready to go on with my life, I naturally booked my first single or "solo" cruise with HAL. I was seated, on my first solo cruise, at a "singles" table for six - 3 women and 3 men. I must admit that none of us had very much in common other than a love for cruising but we thoroughly enjoyed eating dinner together every night and discussing what we had done during the day. It really was a nice experience, and I looked forward to joining them for dinner every night. My second cruise I was seated at a table for 8 with three couples and moi. I could not have wished for better dinner companions. They were so much fun to be with and we became fast friends, even taking shore excursions together. Quite frankly, I loved the cruise but even more so because of the friends seated at my dinner table.

Unfortunately nothing is perfect and on my 3rd cruise I was assigned a table for 8 - mostly singles I guess since I never saw more than maybe 6 at the table at one time - at least two never did show up for dinner. I must admit, and I take full responsibility here, that I "bailed" after the fourth night and either ate in the Lido or in my cabin if there was a movie I wanted to watch. I had nothing in common whatsoever with these people and I resented the constant "whining" about the lack of service (I thought it was great), and I was so sick and tired of hearing about everybody's medical problems - we all have them and discussing them once each is enough - okay!

Anyway, if you are at all the "outgoing" type and have no problem talking to "strangers" and you like to participate in the shipboard activities, such as Team Trivia (my favorite), board games, on-board sports type "stuff", etc. you will have no problem meeting new friends and you will have a wonderful time as long as you make up your mind that you are going to.

What it all really boils down to is that you have to have a positive attitude and refuse to let anyone with a negative attitude interfere with your cruise. You paid an awful lot of money for that cruise and you are entitled to have a fantastic time. It has been my experience with HAl that anywhere from your cabin steward to the front office, wants you to have the best cruise ever because they want your business - they want you back. If you have a problem of any kind don't hesitate to contact the Hotel Manager or the Maitre D' who will do their best to accomodate you.

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise - just go with a positive attitude ("I'm not going to let the B-stards get me down"!) Have fun and happy cruising.

Valerie

Thanks for the feedback. Valerie I appreciate sharing your experience. I'm going to do it. I just returned from a tour to New Mexico solo. The group was great and very embracing of all those traveling alone. HAL offers a much better price than the other lines which says they want my business so they will get it.Will post my experiences.

Doreen

Hi!! I sailed single on HAL last year. My feelings are mixed about the line. The ship (Oosterdam), the ports, and crew were 100% :) !! I also received a great rate from my TA.

As for my fellow cruisemembers, it was not very good. For dinner the first two nights, I was the only person to sit at my table. On the third night, another person came, but he was a very cold manner person. I ate my remaining meals in the Lido. The same for the bulk of the trip was more or less a force polite manner. There were a few gems, but I think that I would had enjoyed the trip better if I went with someone.

Now don't get me wrong, I not a wallflower nor am I a "wild child", I like to have a good time.

My TA have some great rates on HAL for later this year, and I really want to book because of the ports and ships, but I'm worried that I will run into the same problem again on a HAL ship and I need to really think about it!

Airlink Diva,

Sorry you had less than an enjoyable time on your cruise. I think what happened to you could happen on any cruise line. I've taken 2 HAL cruises solo and have a 3rd one book for this coming December.

I think it was just a fluke. The same thing could happen to me on my upcoming cruise...just the luck of the draw. There's no way of predicting what kind of tablemates you'll get, or what kind of passengers will be on any particular cruise.

Roz

I traveled as a single with Princess to Alaska this June and had a great time. At dinner I just said I would share a table, I didn't ask to be seated with just singles. There were several singles on board because I saw their names on the staterooms but I don't think I met anyone traveling by themselves. In fact, last November I was on the Caribbean Princess and sat with other single travelers several evenings at dinner. I've also traveled single on Carnival and RCCL and found them all to be great cruises.

hI ALL......Just a suggestion, why not get involved in the CRUISE CRITIC MEET AND GREET on your next cruise....you will meet nice folks, and I am sure have something in common with them.....also you will have chatted with a few of them on line befor getting on board the ship....so ......try it....it works.......I know....

also I remember a few years ago, on one of the old Primier Lines ships, I was seated at a table of 6, a family of 3, and another couple....one night, after one of the cocktail parties, I found out that none of them would be at the table for dinner that night.....SO, I had been chatting with the ship hostess earlier that evening, also a few time befor, and I asked her to dine with me..we became friends, and have kept in touch off and on ever since...she is now married to one of the ships officers...and living in Greece......

So you really don't have to eat alone........

sailing in 60 days on board the Dream.............jim

• 1 month later...

I have cruised HAL 3 times as a single. All experiences have been excellent. I've been blessed with the best of tablemates. Each time I have asked for a large table with singles; usually though I end up with couples.

I've done 7 cruises all together, and I only keep in touch with people I have met on the 3 HAL cruises I was alone on. Not sure why this is, but it's a fact.

Believe me, cruising alone is MUCH better than cruising with the wrong person!

Well I just did it!! I booked myself on another 7 day cruise with HAL. The ship was going to HMC and Cozumel. I will enjoy myself on this trip and hopefully meet some great people!! I guess that someone else on this thread stated it best about meeting people on the ship, this time I might meet some people that are more outgoing!!

And don't forget, if you don't like your tablemates, change tables. It's easy to do and don't worry about upsetting your previous tablemates. You won't see them again so it's not a problem. Actually, it's not fair to have to eat your meals in the Lido just because you don't like your table---just go to the maitre'd and ask for another table. They get requests for table changes all the time, so there's no questions asked.

Archived