The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

The confusion about the hill comes from confusion regarding the bus/safari route and the taxi/safari route. The safaris can run either the bus route or can be taxis. If you take the $2 safari route, you will be dropped off on the road and will walk down (and back up). If you take a taxi, you will be charged a per person rate which is higher, but you will be dropped off conveniently near the beach.

Clear as mud? :D

hockeypapa sorry, I guess I thought you were considering the $2 bus which drops you off on the road and you have to walk the hill. Yes, if you taxi to Sapphire or any other beach you'll be dropped and picked up within yards of the water.

No worries! Enjoy Sapphire, gorgeous beach, water, and island views. ;)

Yes, clear as Mud!

Can someone help me confirm what I am seeing on this site, it looks like our ship. RCCL Jewel of the Seas will be the only ship in port on Sunday Nov 9, 2014 for St. Thomas, this was a last minute change of port for this ship as we were due to go to Tortola. I was interested in seeing how many other cruise ships will be in port that day so I can decide if we are going to go to Coki Beach which seems like we would really like it because of the snorkeling for me and the fact it has restroom facilities and food and is a gorgeous beach. The part I wasn't too crazy about in the beginning is that it seems to be a very lively and popular crowded beach when the cruise ships are in port, but from the info I am seeing here, it obivously hasn't been updated, because we are docking there, it shows NO cruise ships at all in port on Sunday Nov 9th. So this would mean St. Thomas should be a nice port day for us if we choose to go to Coki beach as our ship will be the only one in port.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/US_Virgin_Islands/620-Saint_Thomas/November_2014/

Edited by tpadul

Coki ans Magens are crowded with 1 ship in port - Magens because it's the most touted, and Coki because it offers snorkeling and is such a small beach.

Go to Sapphire and enjoy your day there, you'll find everything you want and more. secret Harbor is another good option, just no shade like at Sapphire.

No worries!

Looking for suggestions: we are cruising into STT and docking in Havensight early November. Blue Water, although your reviews were awesome, I haven't seen any mention of Morningstar beach and/or Bolongo in this thread. My group and I are probably just looking for a chill beach day as we are diving in STM and sightseeing in Nassau. I was thinking to stay close to the ship so we can maximize time on the beach. Any thoughts to this?

Looking for suggestions: we are cruising into STT and docking in Havensight early November. Blue Water, although your reviews were awesome, I haven't seen any mention of Morningstar beach and/or Bolongo in this thread. My group and I are probably just looking for a chill beach day as we are diving in STM and sightseeing in Nassau. I was thinking to stay close to the ship so we can maximize time on the beach. Any thoughts to this?

Yes, my thought would always be to taxi a little further to reach a much nicer beach, the travel time difference is not huge, perhaps another 15 - 20 minutes each way. For folks who are very limited on time or are returning to Havensight or Crown Bay following an excursion I'd recommend Morningstar and Lindbergh Bay, respectively. Both are fine beaches in their own right. But the nicest beaches, in my opinion, are on the East End, and of those Sapphire is the nicest with natural shade and beautiful water colors and island views. We do rent a condo there when on STT so we're a bit biased, but that's because it is such a nice beach.

You can taxi to Morningstar for $5 and to Sapphire for $10, I just feel the difference is worth it. But for a family or other large group that fare difference can be more than they want to pay, and the closer beaches would be much less expensive to get to. For us as a couple the taxi fare is negligible as compared to many other islands. For a more adventurous day if you don't mind sacrificing some beach time there's a $2 "bus" that will drop you at the entrance to Sapphire. You may not lose much time, just depends on where it is when you get to the stop. There are threads on that subject.

We love hanging out at Iggy's Beach Bar at Bolongo even during the day, but the beach there isn't good. Better on the resort side but that's for resort guests. You can stop there on the return from Sapphire for a rum punch and the vibe if the extra taxi cost isn't a problem.

But for an easy beach day the closer beaches are fine, you won't be disappointed with Morningstar.

Edited by blue_water

Water color is determined by the color of the sand and the weather conditions. Magens has beautiful blue water. Magens is also the longest beach on St Thomas. If it is busy right in front of the concession area, walk down to the left.

Bolongo has a great bar, beach games, etc. It is a windward beach, but it doesn't get the cruise crowds. Probably because blue is always sending them to Sapphire. :D

Coki ans Magens are crowded with 1 ship in port - Magens because it's the most touted, and Coki because it offers snorkeling and is such a small beach.

Go to Sapphire and enjoy your day there, you'll find everything you want and more. secret Harbor is another good option, just no shade like at Sapphire.

No worries!

Thanks!! Was hoping to hear Coki wouldn't be so crowded even with one ship in port so we will head off to Sapphire

Coki may not be that bad, especially early, and every day is different. We (2 couples) went to Coki with 2 ships in port once when we were cruising to STT and we had much of the beach to ourselves. Other times while staying at Sapphire we've visited Coki (and Magens) and found them to be loud and crowded. So if we really wanted a less lively beach we'd head for Sapphire...

• 4 weeks later...

Our cruise is finally almost here! We will be in St Thomas on November 17th. I think we are the only ship in port that day. Right now leaning towards Coki Beach. Are there beach bars that offer food and drinks at a reasonable price? Is Coconuts closer to there or Havensight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our cruise is finally almost here! We will be in St Thomas on November 17th. I think we are the only ship in port that day. Right now leaning towards Coki Beach. Are there beach bars that offer food and drinks at a reasonable price? Is Coconuts closer to there or Havensight?

Yes there are vendors selling drinks and food at Coki.

Coconuts is our favorite spot on STT to grab a burger (and their Backstreet Bushwacker). 10 Main ST, Charlotte Amalie but closer to Backstreet. YOu can get dropped there after the beach and taxi back to Havensight after (or walk).

Another great after beach spot is Paradise Point, have you been there? You can have the taxi drop you there (or taxi up), and take the aerial tram back down and walk back to the ship.

Yes we have been to Paradise Point. Our favorite thing to do in St Thomas is a daysail with Kathleen of Highpockets. We have a very port intensive itinerary so just doing something cheap where we have already been several times.

Just want a decent beach day. Have been to Magen's Bay before. Would just like one where there are some beach bars and food at a decent price.

Great :)

Can't help with reasonable pricing but you would be happier at Coki, Sapphire, or Secret Harbor than at Magens as they have better food and drink options. Coki is a beautiful small bay that generally has a more active or lively vibe with music playing, whereas Sapphire and SH are home to condo properties and are less lively. Sapphire is our favorite but Coki sounds like a good choice for you.

Another option is Iggie's Beach Bar at Bolongo Bay, the beach at the bar isn't good for swimming but Iggie's is a fun spot. It's next to the Bolongo Bay Resort and a popular spot for drinks. We enjoy limin' there with their rum punches and apps. It's about 3.5 miles to the south of Red Hook so you could stop there on the way back to Havensight after one of the beaches mentioned. And we like Island Time in Red HOok for their pizza and meatball parb sub, overlooking the marina, no beach. ;)

Hi Jenifer,

Yes STT isn't famous for having full beach facilities as the nicest beaches are home to condo properties. Magen's gas changing rooms and a small cafe on the beach although the food didn't look very good there. But a nice, calm bay with just a bit of a grade as you enter. Chairs for rent too.

The ideal option is renting a room for the day at the Best Western Emerald Beach Plus Resort in Lindbergh Bay. That would give you access to a comfortable and private changing room and shower. May be more than you want to spend but check it out.

How can I get information on renting a dayroom at Best Western Emerald Beach Plus Resort its sounds nice just want a beach with chair rentals and food and drink, Thanks

For the first-timer - and even a return visitor - there are indeed a ton of opinions about the various beaches, and we too are certainly biased in our rankings. But each beach has a unique or distinctive vibe or setting that can help one choose based on their situation that day. Some are located near a port while some take much more effort to get to but reward that effort.

The East End beaches of St Thomas are preferred by many who are looking for the nicest beach on STT. These include Coki, Smith's Bay, Sapphire, Secret Harbor, and Cowpet Bay (Coki and Smith's Bay are actually on the north side but are on the east end of the island). But others are also very nice and may work best if you have limited time or just want a nice beach to relax at that is closer to port and may be less crowded. And of course the beaches of St John are also gorgeous and should be experienced when possible. Trunk Bay, like Magens Bay, is highly-touted and so a bit touristy most days, but Cinnamon Bay and others less frequented are also beautiful.

For St Thomas -

Coki Point is a gorgeous beach set in a very small bay with good snorkeling off the beach. You'll find one of the nicest beaches you've seen here, but it will have a lively vibe as it gets very crowded. Several vendors renting stuff and selling food and drink. Taxis are readily available. We love Coki and find it a very intimate and romantic beach when ships are not in port.

Smith's Bay Park and Lindqvist Beach is a beautiful, maintained beach (both Smith's Bay Park and Magens Bay are maintained by the Magens Bay Authority and charge a small entry fee) but is much quieter and offers very few amenities. Here you would find natural beauty and relative quiet that you might have expected to see decades ago and not today. Grab your towel and a lunch and drinks from Gourmet Gallery and enjoy the beauty while it's still here. There may be chair rentals and portapotties there now, and you may need to have a taxi return for pick-up.

Sapphire Beach is a gorgeous beach in a larger bay with abundant natural shade, nice island views and great snorkeling off the beach. There is a reef area, a sandy swimming area, and a sea grass area where turtles and rays may be spotted. Home to 3 condo properties with food and drink options, but currently there are no chair rentals or public restrooms. So a very nice spot to be for condo guests on big ship days. And those cruisers young at heart (and body) that can be happy with a towel in the sand and the sapphire-colored sea for relief will be rewarded with paradise here. Taxis were stationed here but with fewer cruisers coming here you'll want to have the driver return or call a taxi when ready.

Secret Harbor is a small bay that is home to one condo property and has a quieter vibe more like Sapphire. However the water is dead calm at SH and there is no shade available to most day visitors. Good snorkeling and a restaurant on site and nice beach though.

Cowpet Bay is very close to Secret Harbor and is home to the Elysian Resort (condo resort) with a small beach and snorkeling. Primarily suited to guests of the condo but still a public beach.

Magens is on the north side and is a deep bay with a a nice, calm beach that's maintained (small entry fee) and is touted as one of the top 10 beaches in the Carib by Frommer's, cruise ships, etc. It has that rating for a reason, and it sees many people and so is touristy. No snorkeling here, and for some folks Magens doesn't have the charm or character some of the other beaches do. But it is a beautiful beach that is great for toddlers and kids because it is so dead calm, and it offers restrooms, small restaurant, a gift shop and available taxis.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is closest to Crown Bay and is a popular beach for folks docking there. A nice enough beach with rentals and food and drinks available at the Best Western Emerald Beach Plus Resort. You can also rent a room for the day to take advantage of a shower and changing room. Nice option if Magens and the East End beaches are too much effort.

Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is another popular destination for folks docked at Crown Bay because the ferry to Water Island is very close. This beach has become very popular however and gets crowded during the day.

Morningstar Beach is closest to Havensight and is a popular spot for folks docking there who are looking for a quick beach stop following an excursion or other tour. Home to the Marriott and you can use their services or just pick a spot on the beach for your towel and take a lunch if you'd like.

Hopefully not confusing the choices even more! And here's a map showing the beach locations for those not familiar with the island, just click on the map for a larger view -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com..._road_map.html

Can someone tell me if you hear alot of noise from st thomas airport at Emerald Beach (Lindbergh Bay). It cant be all that bad can it, Thanks