The beautiful beaches of St Thomas - brief descriptions/opinions

blue_water

Blue Water--thanks for your responses!

Is there a place that would let you use their phone to call for a cab?

Is it a sure thing that a taxis will drop you off at the condos if you ask or is it a crap shoot?

Blue-I knew some day I was going to get the opportunity to return to St Thomas. Well, my time has come. We will be going in May. You know how much I LOVED Sapphire. However, I think with all of the "issues" they are having there, I'm going to try Coki this time around.

We will be a party of 8 people. What are the taxi rates there for a party that size? (Do they go by how many are in your party?)

Also, can you give me ANY expenses we might encounter that day? Like how much is beach chair rental? How much are drinks there? (Alcoholic and soda). What does the food usually run?

Thanks in advance. :)

Glad you're getting back, it's a shame you can't enjoy Sapphire this trip but that does give you an opportunity to experience Coki. There are a few good snorkeling beaches on STT, and we've also always considered Coki a gorgeous beach to begin with.

Sorry I can't help with any of your questions! Anymore we might just head there from Sapphire with drinks to enjoy the beach after the ships leave and just throw a towel on the sand. Taxi rates are $8 - 10pp each way for 2 or more people, many here report paying $8pp.

I think you will all love Coki. If it is too lively or crowded for anyone in your party they could take a short taxi to Smith's Bay and enjoy the relative quiet there.

Have a great cruise!

Glad you're getting back, it's a shame you can't enjoy Sapphire this trip but that does give you an opportunity to experience Coki. There are a few good snorkeling beaches on STT, and we've also always considered Coki a gorgeous beach to begin with.

Sorry I can't help with any of your questions! Anymore we might just head there from Sapphire with drinks to enjoy the beach after the ships leave and just throw a towel on the sand. Taxi rates are $8 - 10pp each way for 2 or more people, many here report paying $8pp.

I think you will all love Coki. If it is too lively or crowded for anyone in your party they could take a short taxi to Smith's Bay and enjoy the relative quiet there.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much. I will miss Sapphire (and when we went, we never used any of the facilities, just got drinks), but I know you (and others) always seem to love Coki and I'm excited to try it out. I really don't mind the crowds too much. As long as there's a beach, water and snorkeling, I'm good to go. :D

Hi - I think we are going to pick Magens Beach; can you tell me if there are chair rentals with umbrellas? OR - is there sufficient shade to keep us from frying?

I didn't go all the way down to where the restaurant and stuff is so I'm not sure about chair rentals but there was definitely enough shade available.

ETA- I don't recall seeing umbrellas now that I think about it so I'm going with no.

Edited by 1kaper

Hi - I think we are going to pick Magens Beach; can you tell me if there are chair rentals with umbrellas? OR - is there sufficient shade to keep us from frying?

There are chair rentals in the busier area, and there are shaded areas back aways from the shore and a couple tables closer to shore with some shade. Most ppl will be in the sun though...

The only beach on STT I know with abundant natural shade is Sapphire.

• 2 weeks later...
The end of the beach to your right as you enter has some shaded picnic tables close to the water, great spot if available.

Blue_Water - I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the info you've provided here! Very, very helpful. I will be visiting this island for the 1st time in August and I am already looking forward to it. As it currently stands i will be enjoying some time at Sapphire Beach, although we are alos looking into snorkel/private charter boat excursions.

Thanks for all the great info, blue_water! Now all I have to do is convince DH to book another cruise that goes back to St Thomas! The last time we stopped there we went ziplining and I never got to a beach. :eek:

Ziplining was a lot of fun but in my world nothing beats sand between my toes. :D

Blue Water...your thoughts please.

Last year we went to Lindquist/Smith Bay and it was lovely although cloudy, can't do great snorkeling with cloudy weather...but...we loved the beach and view...however, we were plagued with some kind of biting insects there which left whelts and bumps for months afterward. Some told us they thought these were sand fleas (although I have doubts about it as we didn't lay on the sand, just swam and snorkeled)...any problems with those critters at Sapphire? Our plan at that time was to visit Lindquist first and then on to Sapphire, but we just didn't have time. But we itched and scratched all the way home on our cruise.....just miserable~!

We want to do Sapphire this time, but DO NOT want to experience these bugs again!

Hi BecciBoo,

We haven't ever experienced that at Sapphire but we have experienced sand fleas or no see 'ums at several beaches. Near the tree/brush line at dusk seems to be a time to watch out for them.

I can't imagine what got you if something else, perhaps someone else has had a similar experience and can help?

But do enjoy Sapphire, no restrooms or chair rentals but a great STT beach choice!

Blue_Water - I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the info you've provided here! Very, very helpful. I will be visiting this island for the 1st time in August and I am already looking forward to it. As it currently stands i will be enjoying some time at Sapphire Beach, although we are alos looking into snorkel/private charter boat excursions.

Thanks BigALexC, appreciate that! Hope you can enjoy a nice day whatever option you choose. And of course our impressions will differ from others' and everyone has a different picture of the perfect beach. But it's nice to have some basic info on the choices at least.

Thank you for your comprehensive report on all of the popular beaches on St. Thomas. We have visited Sapphire Beach on three separate occasions in the past, the latest being just last year. We love it - our favorite beach of all time. However, my joints just don't allow for throwing a towel in the sand any more, so we are off to find a new spot. Since we have never visited St. John's before we thought this would be a good time to make it there. We plan to visit Trunk Bay. Hopefully it won't be too crowded as we are the only ship in port that day.

Hi Ginny,

Great idea, Trunk Bay is stunning too and you should have an enjoyable day there. Do you plan to go out on your own via taxi and the Red Hook ferry or take the ship escursion and ferry from the dock?

Hi Ginny,

Great idea, Trunk Bay is stunning too and you should have an enjoyable day there. Do you plan to go out on your own via taxi and the Red Hook ferry or take the ship escursion and ferry from the dock?

We plan to take the ship excursion. We are the only ship in port that day so I don't think crowding will be as much of an issue. We actually like the later departure time and the convenience of being picked up right at the dock . The excursion is six and a half hours long so I think we will have plenty of time on St Johns.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

We plan to take the ship excursion. We are the only ship in port that day so I don't think crowding will be as much of an issue. We actually like the later departure time and the convenience of being picked up right at the dock . The excursion is six and a half hours long so I think we will have plenty of time on St Johns.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I took this excursion last year off the Jewel of the Seas and really enjoyed it. The boat ride over was narrated and interesting and the scenery was amazing. The rum punch on the way back was super and all in all it was a fantastic excursion. You will love St Johns!

Hi Blue Water,

Thanks for compiling the list. My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Water Island almost 28 yrs ago. I'd love to take my daughter there on our stop next month. Is it feasible to go there for the day? thanks.

Hi 10july86,

We haven't been to Water island and Honeymoon Beach yet so can't be of much help but I'm sure others can be. I've read that it becomes very crowded nowadays with boats dropping off many folks. And with the ferry being so close to Crown Bay it's a popular self-excursion for those cruise folks.

So it sounds very nice still, just a bit busier than you will remember.

Enjoy your visit! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Blue Water- LOVE your beach descriptions and info..wonderful! I need your input...another couple is going with myself & wife to ST in Nov. 2015..we have been to ST/SJ about 6-7x and love it...THEY are snorkeling people, we are beach people..since neither of us have gone to Coral World, we thought of going there , then our friends can go snorkeling at Coki Beach, and we'd go to Coki Beach, next door to CW...is this OK, or are there other suggestions for this combo we need? BTW, we've been to Magen's, Sapphire, Paradise P., but we need restrooms & food/ bar services for sure...finally, I've wanted to go to Bluebeard's Castle, but heard it had gone downhill recently...true? Is it worth stopping there before we go to CW & Coki Beach? Thanks for all your terrific info...

Big Al

Thanks for the great information! This may be a dumb question. I would love to go Sapphire Beach and while I would prefer a restroom, I can make do. Are there taxis available there for the return trip? I am just trying to avoid being left in paradise!

big al: Bluebeard's Castle doesn't have a beach. Do you mean Bluebeard's Beach Club? Not a big snorkeling stop, anyway.

Your Coki and Coral World idea is great. Snorkeling, beach, food and drink as well as the critters of Coral World and showers... An entire package.:)

Blue Water- LOVE your beach descriptions and info..wonderful! I need your input...another couple is going with myself & wife to ST in Nov. 2015..we have been to ST/SJ about 6-7x and love it...THEY are snorkeling people, we are beach people..since neither of us have gone to Coral World, we thought of going there , then our friends can go snorkeling at Coki Beach, and we'd go to Coki Beach, next door to CW...is this OK, or are there other suggestions for this combo we need? BTW, we've been to Magen's, Sapphire, Paradise P., but we need restrooms & food/ bar services for sure...finally, I've wanted to go to Bluebeard's Castle, but heard it had gone downhill recently...true? Is it worth stopping there before we go to CW & Coki Beach? Thanks for all your terrific info...

Big Al

Big Al, Coki and CW is an excellent idea for your day! The Castle and historic area are worth seeing in my opinion but since we've done that we head for Paradise Point to enjoy the view over cocktails. But be sure to enjoy your beach time since the STT beaches are beautiful, and if time allows maybe head back to BB or PP for a bit.

Enjoy!