"luxury" category on river boats?

poss

Are river boats like cruise ship boats, i.e. are there different categories: luxury, premium, mainline, etc.? (I forget the exact names the cruise ship industry uses to distinguish.)

We cruise on Regent, enjoy their "standard" large suites, wide beds, spacious showers, balconies. Would like to try river cruising. Wondering what might be comparable to "luxury" cruising. I understand that the experience and ships are very different from cruise ships, but just wondering if there's some "hierarchy."

Sounds like a fun way to go! Thanks in advance.

Most folks rank the top lines as follows: (1) Tauck - takes all-inclusive to the nth degree; (2) Uniworld; (3) AMA

After that there's less consensus. Viking offers less (smaller cabins, much less public space, apparently the food and wine aren't as good as the lines above) and got a real black eye last summer during the flooding when they really stuck it to their customers.

As a loyal Regent customer, you should explore the top three listed above. Their websites show what the ships look like (Uniworld is controversial), and list the included amenities. Tauck is the most expensive, but depending on how you credit all their extra inclusives you might decide they offer the best value.

We have cruised on AMA and loved it, but I don't recall anyone on Cruise Critic having a bad word for Tauck or Uniworld either. So among them, itineraries might be the determining factor.

Jazzbeau has summed it up very well. The most luxurious suites are on the top deck and obviously vary in size from company to company. Some have small outdoor balconies and some just French balconies. Those with outdoor balconies may have a smaller living area in the suite because the area has to come from somewhere and all boats are the same width.

I like and use Tauck because I think they represent the best value for your dollar. They are truly all-inclusive and if you don't use their laundry service you won't have a cent to pay at cruise end. They certainly appear to be the most expensive but if you do a spreadsheet on all the companies and add in the "options and extras" you'll find Tauck is very competitive.

I'm sure like most of us you'll have a great time doing your research and no matter which company you choose I'm sure, like us all, you'll become addicted to river cruising. Ask all the questions that you like and the fine people on this board will give you their best advice. Be aware though it will probably be a bit biased towards their favourite company...... like mine. :)

Rod

I suggest you take a look at Scenic as well.

Fran

Strange you should say that Fran as in today's mail was the latest brochure from Scenic and it was very impressive. BUT here was the shock (to me anyway)> Looking at Scenic v Tauck prices for the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise, comparing apples to apples and using the current lousy exchange rate for the Aussie dollar Scenics basic cabin in "Aquarium class" was $7,395AU and Tauck, converted was $7,327AU.

You can plainly see that Tauck is the cheaper, albeit by only a few dollars than Scenic. This is just one reason that I contend that Tauck is better value for money than the other river cruise companies.

Just something else for the OP to consider.

Edited by Ozjohnno
small addition

We sailed on the Swiss Jewel on Tauck in the cat 7 suite and they are beautiful. Total luxury and the attendants could not do enough for us. Having sailed in suites on cruise ships, Tauck blows them away..less passengers per ship than competitors ......As Ozjohnno has posted Tauck is on the top of the list in luxury river cruises IMO. Also Tauck is launching a new ship this year so I would suspect they will up the luxury on board.

but will definitely know in June.Taking my first, sounds like extra money(not much) will be made up since literally everything is inc.Tips,drinks,shore exc.,airport pick up(even if not using thei r air),butler,room service,tubs,tips to onshore guides,etc......

Would TRY Tauck IF,and when they have ships with full balcony.That s a huge thing for me.

Also.loved AMA and my favorite so far,but many of the Scenic inc.not with them.Such as tips,drinks,room service,etc.Must REALLY look at all the details.

After 10 river cruises,I m having to expand cruise companies to prevent repeating some itineraries.

I always say, TRY ONE, then if not for you TRY ANOTHER.Remember,you DO get what you pay for.Add ALL the benefits up to compare.:)

Luxury and "all inclusive" are two different things.

Exactly. Many river cruise lines include wine with dinner. That sounds great, but if the wine is sub-par it's actually a big problem. [i have read reviews that the same red and the same white were offered for the whole cruise. Even if you like them, it would get tiring.] The better lines include better quality and variety -- that's luxury.

All-inclusive doesn't equal value either -- if you don't value the included features, you are paying extra for nothing.

Edited by jazzbeau

but will definitely know in June.Taking my first, sounds like extra money(not much) will be made up since literally everything is inc.Tips,drinks,shore exc.,airport pick up(even if not using thei r air),butler,room service,tubs,tips to onshore guides,etc......

Would TRY Tauck IF,and when they have ships with full balcony.That s a huge thing for me.

Also.loved AMA and my favorite so far,but many of the Scenic inc.not with them.Such as tips,drinks,room service,etc.Must REALLY look at all the details.

After 10 river cruises,I m having to expand cruise companies to prevent repeating some itineraries.

I always say, TRY ONE, then if not for you TRY ANOTHER.Remember,you DO get what you pay for.Add ALL the benefits up to compare.:)

Tauck's ship's suites have two floor to ceiling sliding glass doors that open back on themselves so it is like sitting on a deck right in the room. The best views are from the top open decks to enjoy the scenery for most buildings are higher on the river banks. Hope you enjoy which ever you choose.

I'm really grateful for all these replies and have made many notes.

Ozjohno: Back in the day, preparing for vacations genuinely was part of the pleasure, but as we've aged and found ourselves with less energy and less attention span (basically healthy, but 70's-80's), the prep has become more of a labor than a pleasure. So I much appreciate being able to get input on CC from kind folk.

Tauck sounds good to me, but real balcony is important to us. (I think: we've never actually tried the French balconies.) I believe that the new Tauck ship will have balconies? Also: the TA office that I use for ship cruising seems to like AMA very much, though I haven't yet learned exactly why.

I know that the cabins will feel much more cramped than the ocean cruisers, but I think we'll be ok, so long as the bathroom isn't teensy and so long as the bed is at least 70" wide. Also need shower, not tub.

The thing I'm most concerned about in river cruising is not so much the close quarters in one's cabin, but the closeness of the people. We're not esp. social, and really appreciate being able to be alone on the cruise ships when we desire-- at meals, e.g. On river boats it seems almost as if people are in other people's laps. I'm not sure how comfortable we'd be in that respect.

But in so many ways river cruising sounds absolutely delightful. I'd love to give it a try.

Any other input greatly appreciated. In fact, I'm going to start a new post with another question.

I know that the cabins will feel much more cramped than the ocean cruisers, but I think we'll be ok, so long as the bathroom isn't teensy and so long as the bed is at least 70" wide. Also need shower, not tub.

The thing I'm most concerned about in river cruising is not so much the close quarters in one's cabin, but the closeness of the people. We're not esp. social, and really appreciate being able to be alone on the cruise ships when we desire-- at meals, e.g. On river boats it seems almost as if people are in other people's laps. I'm not sure how comfortable we'd be in that respect.

We have traveled on riverboats in Europe, China and Russia and have experienced "cramped"---especially on the older Russian ship. But it was part of the "ambiance" and has us laughing today at the memories of our "nautical shower". We don't expect the comforts of home when we travel!!

But as for the "closeness" of the riverboat-- we always have been able to find a spot to sit or read or just enjoy the view without feeling "cramped". While never "alone" I think the ships have plenty of areas that are not crowded. One of my most pleasant memories is of sailing down the Rhine on a rather dreary day, but sitting in the lounge listening to the piano player as we gently glided down the river. And I was nearly alone there as well.

Most of the ships we have been on have had less than 150 passengers---hardly crowded!!

We found the wine served on Scenic quite good but we are not wine snobs so it suited us fine

As for being on top of people since you have booked a suite I think you can have your meals in your cabin

We like the interaction between our fellow passengers so not a problem for us & we did not really have to sit on top of anyone

They do have tables for 2 but you may be close to the next table

The Balconies were nice, showers were small (like any other ship) the beds were comfy maybe a queen in our regular cabin

Food subjective

After 15 ocean cruises I took my first river cruise last September on Scenic - loved it. I found the cabins to be about the same size and I actually thought the bathroom (and shower) were bigger than the balcony cabins on Princess. The lovely thing about the Scenic balconys is that they have a glass panel that can be raised or lowered to allow you to sit out there if the weather is inclement and still enjoy the scenery going by. We had our butler bring us coffee and croissants every morning and sat out there enjoying it (even in the dark!). The drinks were as free flowing as you wanted, generous pours, quality brands and good wine selection.

Darn - I should quit telling people about Scenic, everyone will start booking on them filling up the cabin I might want :-)

After 15 ocean cruises I took my first river cruise last September on Scenic - loved it. I found the cabins to be about the same size and I actually thought the bathroom (and shower) were bigger than the balcony cabins on Princess. The lovely thing about the Scenic balconys is that they have a glass panel that can be raised or lowered to allow you to sit out there if the weather is inclement and still enjoy the scenery going by. We had our butler bring us coffee and croissants every morning and sat out there enjoying it (even in the dark!). The drinks were as free flowing as you wanted, generous pours, quality brands and good wine selection.

Darn - I should quit telling people about Scenic, everyone will start booking on them filling up the cabin I might want :-)

because I thought same thing.Booked a jr.suite well over a yr.ago to get it.

Re.AMA,my TA also said that (and I agree after 3 with them),but he also said to TRY Scenic.

Will have to look at Tauck to see if new ships have full balcony.The other ones with 2 large windows seem basically a French to me.

Re.not being crowded. We also love Seabourn,Regent,Oceania and know that river boats are MUCH smaller,but we have ALWAYS found a place to relax on own.Esp.on top deck.Dinners less so, the tables for 2 go fast.So you must get in line EARLY for them.Or,as said,get room service(only on Scenic,that I know of).

So,give it a try, and see if river cruising for you.Take a shorter one to be on safe side.Book early to get choice of rooms.,dates,etc.;)

Strange you should say that Fran as in today's mail was the latest brochure from Scenic and it was very impressive. BUT here was the shock (to me anyway)> Looking at Scenic v Tauck prices for the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise, comparing apples to apples and using the current lousy exchange rate for the Aussie dollar Scenics basic cabin in "Aquarium class" was $7,395AU and Tauck, converted was $7,327AU.

You can plainly see that Tauck is the cheaper, albeit by only a few dollars than Scenic. This is just one reason that I contend that Tauck is better value for money than the other river cruise companies.

Just something else for the OP to consider.

I think that the costs and inclusions on Scenic and Tauck are pretty much the same (looking at both websites). It might be the exchange that affects the final per diem rate.

Looking at the Amsterdam - Budapest itinerary, the cost (at least for me here in Canada) is within $100 for similar sailing dates in October (lowest category). However, the $100 cheaper price posted (for Scenic) is in Canadian dollars, while Tauck would be US dollars. Our dollar has slipped a bit over the past couple of months, so factoring in exchange would mean that the Tauck cruise would be $750 more than the Scenic one.

Our last sailing with Scenic was Budapest to Nuremberg --> just the cruise portion. When we compared the cost with other lines, we were within $100/per person of other companies - but Scenic was all inclusive, so it was actually cheaper to cruise with them.

You do have to do your homework....

Fran

Edited by franski