Info on the new Houston Port

BJAMINGIRL

I am confused on where the new port that Princess is sailing out of is in relation to Houston Hobby airport. I have heard it is a lot closer. So are there hotels that might offer airport transfers and then transfers to the port? Has anyone stayed in that area. Thanks for any help.

I have a cruise booked leaving out of Houston cruise terminal in April....and have been asking these very same questions. So far....I have found that the Candlwood Suites in La Porte Texas area has a shuttle going from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Cost $5-8.00 per person.

But in my search for a hotel with shuttle service from Hobby airport (which indeed closer to the cruise terminal) to their hotel...none offer it.

Good luck to get more info concerning this, cause so far....I haven't had much luck. I hope some folks who have already done a cruise out of Houston will offer up some suggestions.

Edited by monakayk

I am confused on where the new port that Princess is sailing out of is in relation to Houston Hobby airport. I have heard it is a lot closer. So are there hotels that might offer airport transfers and then transfers to the port? Has anyone stayed in that area. Thanks for any help.

We live about 10 minutes from the port in the Kemah/Clearlake area. We have compiled a list of hotels nearest the port with shuttle info, distance, price ranges, etc that we have visited (not stayed at since we live in the area) and would be glad to share this list and any local area knowledge with you. I am unable to post our grid on CruiseCritic so feel free to email us at jcw0313@aol.com with any questions. Please reference either Princess or CruiseCritic in your subject line. We are on the Caribbean Princess March 29 cruise and are VERY excited as our cruise date approaches :)!

I don't think any hotels near the port have shuttle service to airport.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites near the port and they had free shuttle to the port. It was a nice hotel and the shuttle was well organized.

It also shuttled you to nearby Kemah boardwalk where there are lots of restaurants and shops. There is a Target nearby you could probably get the shuttle to take you there also if needed. I think it was a 5 mile radius for the free shuttle.

We live about 10 minutes from the port in the Kemah/Clearlake area. We have compiled a list of hotels nearest the port with shuttle info, distance, price ranges, etc that we have visited (not stayed at since we live in the area) and would be glad to share this list and any local area knowledge with you. I am unable to post our grid on CruiseCritic so feel free to email us at jcw0313@aol.com with any questions. Please reference either Princess or CruiseCritic in your subject line. We are on the Caribbean Princess March 29 cruise and are VERY excited as our cruise date approaches :)!

jcw0313,

Thank you for the offer of info...I will e-mail you tomorrow.:D Please look for monkayk.

"Sailing out of Houston is a pain."

Maybe so, but when you can drive to the port the saved $$$$ is worth it. More to spend on excursions and extras!

We have always had good luck sailing out of Galveston and have enjoyed our previous Princess cruises so we are looking forward to seeing what Bayport has in store for us in two weeks.

I already have my #1 cruise item packed...... a positive attitude!

I sailed on the second departure(November, 2013) from Bayport terminal and this is what we did.

Flew into Hobby airport the night before and stayed at the airport Drury Inn(complimentary transport if you arrive before 8pm) Complimentary "dinner" and alcohol in the evening) Complimentary breakfast in the morning. Next day mid morning we hopped back on Drury shuttle back to airport and caught the Princess transfer bus to the ship. There is also Super Shuttle and limos/taxi's etc. Princess transfer seemed to be the most economical. Drury is real close to Hobby airport.

There is a Comfort Inn closer to the port that offers complimentary shuttle to the ship, but not from the airport. have to get your own transport from airport to the hotel.

Hope this helps. Please read my review under the CC member review, it is pretty detailed.

Maybe so, but when you can drive to the port the saved $$$$ is worth it. More to spend on excursions and extras!

We have always had good luck sailing out of Galveston and have enjoyed our previous Princess cruises so we are looking forward to seeing what Bayport has in store for us in two weeks.

Just be sure to have the ship back clean and w/o damage, and oh yeah on time at the end of your cruise...lots of folks will be waiting to take her out on her next spin. :D

Agree driving to the port makes it so much easier...as not a pain...especially when fog is involved.

The Bayport cruise terminal is definitely not new. It has been there for a number of years, just not used because cruiselines find using the Galveston terminal much more cost friendly. Right now, a couple of ships are using the Bayport facility because they are getting some very lucrative incentives for doing so.

Sailing out of Houston is a pain.

I have sailed out of Galveston a few times....and let me tell ya....IMHO for myself...having to fly to Texas from CO and then having to share a shuttle service van crammed with people...which will stop everywhere picking up folks/dropping off at various hotels in Galveston, which seems to take forever on top of the normal 45 min. ride when traffic is good..THAT was a pain!

I just hope that cruising out of Houston won't be as bad. Keeping my figures crossed.

Edited by monakayk

My dh and I just arrived home from the Caribbean Princess cruise out of Houston. We went on this cruise a bit nervously. We usually cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in February so Houston was new for us. Well we were pleasantly suprprised. We got non stop flights both to and from Houston. We flew into Bush airport and stayed at the Marriot. The hotel is basically in the airport and you get there on a free tram from the terminal. We had booked our hotel on our own so we had to return to the airport in the morning to get on the Princess bus. If we had booked through Princess we could have gotten the Princess bus from the Marriott. It was so simple and the staff was so helpful. Our luggage was placed on a truck and was in our cabin when we arrived. The trip from the airport to the ship was under an hour and the atmosphere on the bus was definately vacation ready. At the end of the cruise we took the Princess bus back to the airport. We were on the bus at 8:20 and at the airport before 9:30. I just discussed this whole process with my dh. We both agree that we would cruise out of Houston again.

We drove to Houston and parked there at the terminal building. EXCELLENT facility, quick drop-off. easy return to the lot. Fast boarding process, easy bag-drag back to the car and away to the I-state. Easy in, easy out. We had no fog, smooth seas and no pukies. I would sail from this port again, just not in January, and maybe to different ports.

Edited by CharlesOK

Galveston: Port is further from HOU and IAH than the Port of Houston. Expensive to get there on your own from either airport. Very limited ability to rent a card at airport and drop it off in Galveston. If you are driving your own car, parking is a pain as a shuttle from the close by parking lot will not take your luggage, so you must first drive through a mess to drop off your luggage, then to the parking lot, then take the shuttle. When returning, must do the opposite: Take shuttle to get car then drive back to the port to get luggage. Main advantage in Galveston is the hotels right near the report with things to see and do nearby.

Houston: Modern terminal. Taxi is expensive, but SuperShuttle is reasonable for two people or use Princess Xfers. Like Galveston, no hotel offers free shuttle service from the airport to a hotel close to the port. If driving your own car, parking lot is right in front of the terminal. Can easily park and pull your own luggage to terminal or you can drop it off and then park. Parking rate is $75 for the week if paid in advance. Main disadvantage is no hotel within a couple of miles of the port. Hotels available in Kemah and Clear Lake but need to take taxi from hotel to port (6 to 10 miles, depending on hotel).

Edited by caribill

Galveston: Port is further from HOU and IAH than the Port of Houston. Expensive to get there on your own from either airport. Very limited ability to rent a card at airport and drop it off in Galveston. If you are driving your own car, parking is a pain as a shuttle from the close by parking lot will not take your luggage, so you must first drive through a mess to drop off your luggage, then to the parking lot, then take the shuttle. When returning, must do the opposite: Take shuttle to get car then drive back to the port to get luggage. Main advantage in Galveston is the hotels right near the report with things to see and do nearby.

Houston: Modern terminal. Taxi is expensive, but SuperShuttle is reasonable for two people or use Princess Xfers. Like Galveston, no hotel offers free shuttle service from the airport to a hotel close to the port. If driving your own car, parking lot is right in front of the terminal. Can easily park and pull your own luggage to terminal or you can drop it off and then park. Parking rate is $75 for the week if paid in advance. Main disadvantage is no hotel within a couple of miles of the port. Hotels available in Kemah and Clear Lake but need to take taxi from hotel to port (6 to 10 miles, depending on hotel).

Park N cruise is across the street from the terminal.

http://galvestonparkncruise.com/

We agree 100% about the driving and the "Positive Attitude". The worst cruise that we have ever been on was "Fantastic". ;) Just love cruising!:D

Good information here.

Been doing some research on Houston; we are booked on the Emerald in November, this will be our first cruise out of Houston. Not a bad drive from Tulsa but since airfare on SW to Hobby is only $15.00 the travel part is a no brainer. Where to stay and how to get to and from the port was our big concern.

I believe we'll fly down the evening before and stay close to Hobby using a hotel with free shuttle service to/from the airport. Princess transfer seems to be very reasonable compared to the Taxi and Shuttle rates so I think we'll go that route.

thanks for the info exchanged here.

Good information here.

Been doing some research on Houston; we are booked on the Emerald in November, this will be our first cruise out of Houston. Not a bad drive from Tulsa but since airfare on SW to Hobby is only $15.00 the travel part is a no brainer. Where to stay and how to get to and from the port was our big concern.

I believe we'll fly down the evening before and stay close to Hobby using a hotel with free shuttle service to/from the airport. Princess transfer seems to be very reasonable compared to the Taxi and Shuttle rates so I think we'll go that route.

thanks for the info exchanged here.

That has to be a typo, right???