Celebrity delivered our luggage 5 weeks after our cruise!

Wilde_37

Our luggage arrived home today - 5 weeks after us. :mad:

We completed our sailing on Infinity - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso on Sunday 19th January and when we went to the dock to collect our luggage one piece was missing. (Lost between our stateroom and the terminal building). It was found the following day and we were informed that it would be shipped to us immediately. It has taken almost 5 weeks for the luggage to get from Chile to Ireland. The process was a farce!

We had to supply a full list of contents of the case including the value of everything. As it happens the value of everything came to approx. $4,000. We were then told that any duty free or liquids would be confiscated! This I do not understand. We purchased some cigarettes and a bottle of Patron and Cologne on-board and had them packed into the luggage for the flight home. They were confiscated along with almost all toiletries in the luggage - (an electric razor in the toiletry bag was broken upon receipt). The reason we were given was that liquids could not be transported by air! That beggers belief because they were in a sealed locked case and going into the hold of the aircraft.

We were then told that Fedex would not accept the luggage unless we valued its contents at $1,000. We refused because if the luggage was lost again and we valued it at a quarter of its value then we would never have been able to claim on our insurance for it. After much telephone discussion and emailing Fedex had an underwriter cover the luggage. Then it sat in Chile until 3 days ago. It arrived today.

What annoys us is (a) the delay - how can it take 5 weeks to get the luggage shipped from Chile to Ireland? (b) the missing liquids and duty free. I know there are rules in hand-carrying liquids and I gully accept and am familiar with these. But is someone trying to tell me that Customs and Security cannot accept items which are in the hold of the aircraft? And if so, how come we all ship our liquids that way. Seems to me that someone in Chile is having a smoke and drink on us today! Celebrity said they would offer a future cruise certificate for $170 as a gesture for the loss of the duty free. But that does not cover the full cost of the loss or the damage.

Once celebrity issued a tracking number form Fedex a few weeks ago they ceased all contact - despite emails from me asking them to explain the further delay. After 20 cruises with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean it has really left a sour taste in my mouth regarding their procedures and reasoning.

The annoying thing is that we considered holding on to our luggage and doing a walk off in Valparaiso. We have done this many times in the past and it works out fine. The lesson has been learned though and on our next cruise we will do our walk-off with luggage in tow!

Sorry about your problem. We were on the same cruise with you.

Did you use X's transfer service?

I cannot imagine that all DW and my luggage would be worth anything near $4000. Perhaps you should consider not taking such valuable items when you travel.

$4000 is not a lot of cost when you add up the cost of even small items these days. I have dresses that cost $1000+ and that is without the shoes!!

I would talk again to celebrity and explain the cost of the items that did not arrive and then ask for that amount to be paid to you directly. OBC only works if you cruise with them again and nothing in life is guaranteed.

Then you might also ask them for a small amount of OBC as a gesture for the delay in getting you case back.

$4000 is not a lot of cost when you add up the cost of even small items these days. I have dresses that cost $1000+ and that is without the shoes!!

I would talk again to celebrity and explain the cost of the items that did not arrive and then ask for that amount to be paid to you directly. OBC only works if you cruise with them again and nothing in life is guaranteed.

Then you might also ask them for a small amount of OBC as a gesture for the delay in getting you case back.

I had airline misplace luggage. Just the cost of the luggage (Tumi) and the toiletry bag inside alone were over $1500. Then when you start to list all the creams, potions, medication, toothbrushes, hairbrush, nailvlippers etc. in the toiletry bag, you quickly get to $500 there (cologne or perfume $75 alone...) Tuxedo, shoes, studs, cufflinks and accessories, another her $750. $2750 already!

I wouldn't expect anything further from X. They have zero liability here other than to pay up to $300 if the bag is lost as per the contract we all agree to when we cruse with them.

As to the removal of items in the luggage and such, I am in a business that does shipping and logistics around the world to move our exhibits. There are sooooo many nuances to international shipping regulations and requirements that vary country to country especially when shipping with common carrier like UPS or FedEx. No aerosols for example (hairspray deodorant, for example) Also transporting "unknown substances" since you were not there to personally declare, that could have caused them to pull liquid type items.

As far as Fedex is concerned, they have a bunch of personal things and whoever owned them is not traveling with them, so the package is suspicious and requires scrutiny, much like Airlines won't let your luggage travel without you on the same aircraft.

Declaring a higher value causes several customs issues, especially with "non-accompanied personal effects" - we've had to ship some of our staff personal belongings to them, and we've had delays due to the nature of the shipment.

So try to be happy you've had ANY offer of compensation from X, none is due. And be even happier that even after all this time, your things are home.

It is also perfectly acceptable to value a package contents at one number, and insure it for another. I.e value at under $1000 but pay for $4000 insurance. It is $1000 cost for you to replace at wholesale but maybe it could sell for $4000 at retail, so you want $4000 insurance.

If you have travel insurance, you may be able to file a claim for the remaining loss. Unfortunately, very few policies will cover $4000, and there are generally limitations, such as $500 maximum value for the first item, $250 for additional items, $500 total for all items like jewelry, furs, and electronics. I wouldn't guarantee you'll be successful, but it's worth a try.

It doesn't compensate you for time and aggravation, but as cle-guy suggested, this may have been due to the differences in shipping versus traveling with luggage. While this may be a strike against Celebrity, it could happen on any cruise line and it at least doesn't seem to be a common occurrence on X.

I had my luggage delayed. We were on a 2 week Med cruise. When we got our luggage, it was missing many items. I lost very expensive clorhing. I cruised most of the 2 weeks with what I had in my carry on. I now cruise light. I take clothing that is old or inexpensive. If I bring anything good, it stays with me. I have lost luggage many times. Just unlucky. It happens. Now I pack the essentials in my carryon. Wear clothing on the plane that I love...and will wash/dry quickly. You may have to wear these items many times. I read tour guides completely before the trip. That came in handy when we lost our luggage and carry ons on a trip. Some airlines weigh the carry ons. Lufthansa lost everything. Knowing where to buy clothing can be very helpful. On one trip when we lost our luggage, we were able to buy clothing in 15 minutes. In Europe, underground shopping ateas near train stations are good places to shop. Travel light, leave expensive stuff home, read guides, buy insurance, and hope for the best. I travel often. Happy when I get my luggage. Prepared if I don't. Good luck.

I'm coming back as you in my next life. I wouldn't even spend 1000 on my wedding dress LOL.

To the OP - the situation sucks, but at least you did get the bag back. We've got someone on here that wasn't so lucky and never saw hers again. :(