Carrying passports off the ship

knarf

Hi,

I have never been to Europe. We will be cruising there in May My question.... Do we have to carry our original passport with us when we go into the different ports -Italy, Croatia, Turkey, France, and Spain or will a copy be okay ?

Thanks

Frank

I don't know what the official rule is but last year we took copies in all of those countries. We also took an original driver's license with us. Anyone who asked us for a passport to use a credit card always settled for the drivers license as a photo ID.

Hi,

I have never been to Europe. We will be cruising there in May My question.... Do we have to carry our original passport with us when we go into the different ports -Italy, Croatia, Turkey, France, and Spain or will a copy be okay ?

Thanks

Frank

NO...do not carry original. You really do need to carry copy either,but if you feel better doing so then do it. Sometiems cruise ships keep them anyway as it makes getting into and clearing customs easier for them so do not be alarmed if they do keep it. Not all do.

If you ever need to carry your original passport off the ship, the cruise line will alert you to do so (via the port talk and also usually in the daily activities sheet).

A few people have mentioned that they had to carry their passport in Croatia. I was on a cruise with 3 stops in Croatia last year, and we were not told we had to carry them, so I'm not sure what gives there.

In general, though, my preference is NOT to carry the original without being specifically told that it is required.

I totally agree with cruisemom. If you need to carry your passport with you, the cruiseline will tell you.

It's a good idea to bring a copy or 2 ... if your passport is lost or stolen, having a copy will make the replacement process go much quicker at the Embassy. I usually keep a copy in my suitcase and another in my daypack.

In many cases the cruise line will retain your passport.

Always carry a laminated copy of the photo ID & details page.

Once you enter the EU you are not required to carry your passport on you, even if travelling from one EU country to another. You will rqeuire your passport again finally when leaving an EU Country for a non EU destination .

In October 2013, Princess advised us to carry our passports while off the ship in Venice. They also mentioned photocopies would not suffice.

If people wish to carry photocopies of their passports or other ID for peace of mind, that's their decision. I can't envision any government official accepting a photocopy as a valid ID. Can you imagine presenting a photocopy of your passport to immigration officials when disembarking a cruise in the US?

Unless otherwise advised, we bring our original US drivers license with us while in port in any foreign country. If a passport is required, we'll just have to return to the ship to retrieve it.

Lew

In October 2013, Princess advised us to carry our passports while off the ship in Venice. They also mentioned photocopies would not suffice.

That is because under Italian law foreigners are supposed to carry their passport with them.

Having said which, a lot of frequent travellers to Italy, myself included, don't comply with this and just carry a photocopy instead. I've taken a considered decision and concluded that the risk of losing my passport (or having it stolen) is greater than any problems resulting from being stopped by the police when only in possession of a photcopy.

I got my first passport for a land vacation to Great Britain. No other choice but to carry your passport. I have since been on at least 20 land vacations from Australia to Tahiti, Hawaii, Alaska, Jamaica, Mexico, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Greece, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Canada, and France. My passport has been with me on all of these trips, and I've managed to not lose it or have it stolen over the last 25 years.

When I did my Med cruise from Rome, I was not a happy camper when upon leaving Kusadasi Turkey, we were supposed to go to Mykonos Greece, but due to high winds the Captain announced we would be missing Mykonos and sail slowly on to Athens, but because of our change in intinerary all passengers must turn in their passports. We were given a numbered ticket and told the announcement would be made when we could retrieve our passports. We sailed into Athens, on to Katokolon, and on to Corfu (all Greece). Upon leaving Corfu, the next day we were allowed to pick up our passports.

Passports are your legal identification when traveling. Your driver's license while an ID in the States, is not legal ID for International travel. My passport even goes with me to Alaska and Hawaii. I paid $110 for that sucker, you can bet nobody will protect like I will. JMHO!

Instead of asking people's opinions, why don't you find out what your US government advises you to do when traveling?

I'm a Canadian, so I can't advise you. I seek all my advice about vaccinations, passport, etc., from the Department of Foreign Affairs in Canada - they have an excellent website with advice about travel abroad - as I'm sure your US equivalent does. Go to the source, I say.