Buffet queue jumping on carnival, is it rude?

fishtaco

If all you want is one particular item and everyone else is waiting and serving behind that item? Or should you just get to the end of the queue and shuffle along until you get to the one item you want?

I dont jump regular queues but it seems a bit silly to join a queue if there is nobody near the item you want.

It depends on the situation. I'm much less likely to be upset if someone politely asks first and you only need one item. "Excuse me, would you mind if just grabbed some butter?" is no big deal.

Just barging in and filling a plate with multiple items, even if there seems to be a break in the line, isn't ok. Often the line will catch up to you and then those folks who were in line first are held up waiting for you.

If all you want is one particular item and everyone else is waiting and serving behind that item? Or should you just get to the end of the queue and shuffle along until you get to the one item you want?

I dont jump regular queues but it seems a bit silly to join a queue if there is nobody near the item you want.

Just off the Inspiration. My take - the buffet area has several "stations" of sorts. If there is a line at a station, I join it. But you can move from station to station randomly.

The "main" buffet line had salads, entrees, veggies, bread, butter, milk. There was also a "deli" station that had salads, fruit, meat/cheese slices. And a "pizza" station. Plus a "sweet treats" station.

I jump if there's a line for let's say bacon I don't want bacon I go around till I find something I want let's say fruit .. Or pancakes and gravy no reason to stay behind a long line while the bacon police hand out the bacon..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Something like this seems to be a cultural thing and changes from nationality to nationality.

I've been in some countries where there is no such thing as waiting your turn in line.

Here in the US,,,, the norm is to politely wait your turn in line.

Having sid that,,,, as fishtaco states,, if you are polite and ask and only want 1 item from the line,,, then ask first.

I jump if there's a line for let's say bacon I don't want bacon I go around till I find something I want let's say fruit .. Or pancakes and gravy no reason to stay behind a long line while the bacon police hand out the bacon..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is what I meant:)

When in doubt, ask the person in line if can grab something quickly. If you've already waited in line and only forgotten butter, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. If you ask and then proceed to look at every piece of whatever or take several items, that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like this seems to be a cultural thing and changes from nationality to nationality.

I've been in some countries where there is no such thing as waiting your turn in line.

Here in the US,,,, the norm is to politely wait your turn in line.

Having sid that,,,, as fishtaco states,, if you are polite and ask and only want 1 item from the line,,, then ask first.

So if there was a big hold up at the Bacon and you didnt want bacon or anything before the bacon and the item/items you wanted were way beyond the bacon you would still just wait? or which person would you polity ask? every person in front of you?

In Australia there is no difference to USA same as UK and most of Europe re queuing etiquette, although last year in Vegas we missed many Deuce strip buses because most people didnt queue they just boarded when the bus stopped leaving those in line behind quite often, I soon stopped queuing for the bus!

It should not be a problem, like if there are alot of people in line for salads and you dont want a salad and there is a big space ahead why not go get what you want.

When in doubt, ask the person in line if can grab something quickly. If you've already waited in line and only forgotten butter, I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. If you ask and then proceed to look at every piece of whatever or take several items, that's a different story.

This never seems to be applied at the desert stations or where the cheese and crackers/mini sandwiches are so why at the other buffet sections:confused:

The reason I am asking is on my last Carnival cruise I couldnt get anywhere near the burrito bar the whole cruise even though I just wanted salsa dip and chips that were situated beyond the huge burrito line!

It should not be a problem, like if there are alot of people in line for salads and you dont want a salad and there is a big space ahead why not go get what you want.

I have done in the past as I assume many other cruisers have to some extent but I am never sure if its rude or will offend others even though it would not affect the first in line who has stopped but it may offend those politely waiting in line to get beyond the first in line lol

This never seems to be applied at the desert stations or where the cheese and crackers/mini sandwiches are so why at the other buffet sections:confused:

The reason I am asking is on my last Carnival cruise I couldnt get anywhere near the burrito bar the whole cruise even though I just wanted salsa dip and chips that were situated beyond the huge burrito line!

I think that would be okay too. It's not like you're jumping in and starting a burrito order. Just don't examine every chip :)

Here's an example, on the Miracle for breakfast when you take your plate the first thing after that is the omelette station, the first time I was waiting and waiting and finally realized people were waiting for their omelettes so after that I would get a plate and just walk around past where everyone was waiting. I didn't see any problem with doing that especially when there was no one at the eggs, sausage and oatmeal area.

you got to use some common sense... for example - people line up for their eggs fried as they like...that's the start of the buffet line. you don't want any fried eggs, there's nobody in front of the porridge or toast. you politely ask to cut in to get some cutlery and tray ( that area is crowded because that's where the line starts ), now you go grab your toast and jam and go eat. you are not interfering with anybody's opportunity to get the choice slice of bacon. The same thing happens at the deli... everybody wants a sandwich, they are lined up, you don't want a sandwich. You just want a pickle, go get your pickle and enjoy. You see it all the time, if all you want is a roll and the roll is at the end of the buffet. It's easy, you just ask someone that is in line if you can just grab a roll or you wait until nobody is in that area. It's not a big deal and they certainly wont run out of food.

You should be reasonably civilized because some people might be somewhat more sensitive than others, but since there are so many culinary options over the course of the cruise I wouldn't be too put out over a couple of rude people.

My two cents worth

Ian

If there is a line I will wait with everyone else, but I'm a bit of a "gap" hopper. If I see a large space where no one else is taking food from then I'll nip in and do that bit. Then hop to the next bit where there is a gap... Speeds things up for everyone. Stupid to wait behind the ones who can't make up their mind when the rest of the area is free

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

I have noticed that in some cases, they don't have the items related to each other in the right order. As an example, I have had people ask if they could sneak in to get a carton of milk because they decided to get cereal after they had passed the milk. I see nothing wrong with that or someone asking if they could reach in and get a banana or a piece of fruit.

How wouldd you know that everyone else I'd not just waiting toi get one item?

Of course its rude. Wait your turn.

Last year I had made myself a nice yogurt and fruit bowl. But I forgot the walnuts on top. (Naturally they were near the middle of the buffet line.) I walked up to where the walnuts were located and politely asked a person in line if I could just add some to my breakfast. The gentleman answered that I could, I scooped, thanked him, and was out of there in nano-seconds.

I think how one asks makes a hug difference.

I also agree with the poster that stated if there is a BIG gap in line, I will jump in.

I have been in the buffet lines and I listen as the mother (or father) asks Johny. "So Johny, what would you like?" And Johnny says "I'm not hungry." The mother then says. "How about we try the Broccoli". Johny replies. "But I don't like broccoli." She then turns to Mary and says. "How about you Mary? Would you like broccoli." Mary say "But I don't like broccoli." .................................. AT THAT POINT I JUMP THE LINE. Happens every cruise! Do I feel guilty? Not on your life!

Depends on the station... But I don't remember actual lines. With that said, if someone is grabbing lettuce at the salad bar, I will wait for my lettuce. If that same person is reading all of the salad dressings, then I will pass them by as I don't use dressing.

I think that would be okay too. It's not like you're jumping in and starting a burrito order. Just don't examine every chip :)

You gotta watch out for the cheese sauce though. I made the mistake of thinking it was just plain cheese sauce..and it wasn't! It was habanero cheese sauce!:eek: I took one bite and thought my face was on fire!:eek:

You gotta watch out for the cheese sauce though. I made the mistake of thinking it was just plain cheese sauce..and it wasn't! It was habanero cheese sauce!:eek: I took one bite and thought my face was on fire!:eek:

Well, that's a good warning to have! I like hot but not quite that hot.