Alaska in June - what do I pack?

DnR

You'll want to dress in layers. Alaska can be warm and balmy, or cool and rainy. Your outer layer should be waterproof/water repellant. Take an umbrella, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, gloves, toque, etc. For shoes, you need a pair of dress shoes (for formal nights), something to wear on the ship for sea days, and a good pair of walking shoes. No boots will be necessary.

I, personally, am always warm so I adjust the above list accordingly for myself. If you are always on the cool side, you may want to bring it all.

Keep in mind, that you can always take advantage of the laundry service. HAL has a very good unlimited laundry package so you can still keep within airline baggage restrictions, and still take the layers.

I have only ever been on Caribbean cruises and have no idea how to pack for an Alaskan land and sea adventure this June.

What do I wear? What are the essentials to make sure I pack?

Deet! I like having some of the mosquito repellant wipes along so I can stick a couple of individual packages in my pocket in case I need them. For travel they are easier than the bottles because they are less likely to leak.

Trish

We pack Gortex jackets for Alaska -- they have fleece zippered linings. Waterproof shoes. Those rain panchos are also good.

Dressing in layers is the key. I am always warm so I don't feel the cold as much as others.

Also take a back pack to put your panchos, small umbrellas, etc. in.

We have done about 15 Alaskan cruises and have never been bothered by mosquitos.

Even formal nights in Alaska, it is not dressy on HAL. Jackets and ties for men, dressy pants and tops or cocktail dresses for women.

I have only ever been on Caribbean cruises and have no idea how to pack for an Alaskan land and sea adventure this June.

What do I wear? What are the essentials to make sure I pack?

WE have cruised Alaska 6 times, I have never had to have anything extra ordinary, except a rain parka, which you can get at the dollar store 2/$!.00

I usually take my fleece jacket, but if you find you need a jacket, they sell them both in Ketchikan and Juneau for $19.95 with the Alaska logo!!

the only adverse weather we have run into was rain..... (although we are used to rain, here in the PNW)..... last summer the weather was HOT!! I think I read people were going to the beach as far north as Anchorage!! mostly jeans and a shirt and sweater, to layer, is enough.... take a pair of sox if your feet tend to be cold..... I have been to Alaska every month that HAL sails there, and have never had to pack differently!! have a wonderful cruise....

We have been to Alaska 3 times.

7 nights at the end of June - packed wet weather gear and only needed it in Sitka where the excursion person said it was the wettest day that they had had all season.

14 nights late August - some rain but nothing as torrential as Sitka.

7 nights last week of September = no rain and the smoothest seas ever.

Rockfan2

We have been twice--first time in July; second, Sept. Rainy and foggy first time. Walking shoes got quite wet and didn't dry out quickly. Second time was land and sea and it was cold rain and then snow in Denali--had two pairs of shoes for walking this time. The next wk and the wk before on the July trip were sunny and balmy. So the rule is BE PREPARED!