Lunch in Main Dining Room Embarkation Day

LovetheSea

You can control this in several ways-- order fewer courses, tell the server you're in a hurry, and/or get a table for two. We always eat in the MDR on embarkation day if possible, and our luggage is rarely at our cabin when we get back from lunch.

Nothing beats the speed of the Horizon buffet. We can get exactly what we want & how much we want immediately so we can get to unpacking. We also carry all our luggage on board so it's ready to be unpacked as soon as we finish. Of course the buffet is not for everybody but on the first day it is quick & we've never been disappointed.

We enjoy sitting in the Horizon Court and looking all around outside and seeing the sights at the port. Granted some ports are just industrial areas but it is still interesting to us. Where our ship was docked in Singapore was fascinating-they were off-loading thousands of white pick up trucks and it was a sight to see.

I enjoy the MDR during sea days

We also like the pub lunch on sea days

Not impressed with the buffets on Princess. Mediocre food but in large quantities. The dining room is so much better.
Have you been on the Regal or Royal? Infinitely better. The buffet is huge with a wide variety of choices, including a made-to-order sandwich bar.

I haven't been able to make the MD for lunch on embarkation day my first two Princess cruises; it was closed by the time we got there. Maybe next month...

I generally like the buffet, but not on embarkation day. It's just too crowded and noisy.

But - next month will be our first cruise with a child (8 months) - anyone have experience in the MDR on embarkation day with a child they'd care to share??

We always try to eat in the MDR our first day. It can be a bit of a scramble for them to locate a high chair (especially if it is held in the TDR and you have AD), and on our first day it took them a while to find the kids' menu, but other than that, smooth sailing.

The baby food you ordered is unlikely to be available before dinner the first night, so if you are dependent on that you will need to bring your own.

I find the laid back atmosphere and great service is an awesome way to start the vacation, kids or no. :cool:

On the menu is appetizer, entre, and dessert.

Isn't that at least 3 courses?

Yes, but you don't have to eat it all.;) We are convinced that the best salmon entree is on embarkation day. For lunch we like the MDR every day at sea and generally just order one item. DH likes the pasta, I like the salads. We eat less there than if we were grazing in the buffet.:D

In January on the Sapphire's short 4 day cruises during embarkation they had a normal sea day menu with more choices but very slow service. I prefer the more limited menu (salmon, beef) which to me was better & the service was faster. We sailed a b2b and instead went to Alfredo's Pizzeria for the 2nd cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 3 years later...
Thanks to CC boards, I had my embarkation lunch at Alfredons on Royal last week. Wouldn't have occurred to me to go there. thanks!!!

We are boarding the Ruby Princess in a few weeks and our check in time is not until 1 pm, even though we have a Mini Suite. I will check the site to see if they have an Alfredo's -- is that a non-buffet option that's an alternative to a closed MDR?

We are boarding the Ruby Princess in a few weeks and our check in time is not until 1 pm, even though we have a Mini Suite. I will check the site to see if they have an Alfredo's -- is that a non-buffet option that's an alternative to a closed MDR?

There is no Alfredo's on Ruby. But you can safely ignore that check-in time suggestion and go to port mid-morning and be onboard in plenty of time for lunch in the dining room.

I don't like the crush of the buffet on embarkation day. There are too many people wandering around not knowing what they want or where to get it. When we board too late to eat in the main dining room, we go the International Café. I like the quiche, sandwiches, and prepared salads there.

Geez, another zombie thread bumped after three and a half years for such a simple issue.

This is all you need to know:

If you are on the ship by 1:30 just head to the Deck 6 Midship dining room.

You will be admitted to lunch there. Period.

DO NOT ask for permission/directions/what to do from any crew member as they will at the very least robotically direct you to the buffet, or else straight out lie to you and say no MDR is open for lunch.

Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Just show up at the MDR and enjoy. After of course showing up at the pier early enough to do so--the boarding-by-cabin-deck times are only a suggestion, not a requirement.

Its all so intuitively obvious, folks; only way to screw it up is by overthinking it--as seemingly every thread on these topics does.

Geez, another zombie thread bumped after three and a half years for such a simple issue.

This is all you need to know:

If you are on the ship by 1:30 just head to the Deck 6 Midship dining room.

You will be admitted to lunch there. Period.

DO NOT ask for permission/directions/what to do from any crew member as they will at the very least robotically direct you to the buffet, or else straight out lie to you and say no MDR is open for lunch.

Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Just show up at the MDR and enjoy. After of course showing up at the pier early enough to do so--the boarding-by-cabin-deck times are only a suggestion, not a requirement.

Its all so intuitively obvious, folks; only way to screw it up is by overthinking it--as seemingly every thread on these topics does.

And if you forget fishywood's instructions just look on the back page of the Patter under dining. It will note which MDR is open for lunch.

Lunch on embarkation day has a short window. On the Royal Princess

We had lunch in Alfredo's on embarkation day. Pretty much had the

Who restaurant to ourselves. It made for a nice relaxing meal.

Alfredos has been our "go to" place (for embarkation lunch) ever since it was opened on Princess ships. We love relaxing in that venue and are never in a hurry. We take advantage of our priority embarkation to get to Alfredos before any long line and are generally seated by noon. After a delightful lunch we are generally finished around the time they open up the cabin areas..... We do like the Horizon Court for some lunches....but never on embarkation day.

Hank

I am one of those that loves lunch on embarkation day. It is like a ritual for us. I, too, don't ask as the crew member will out and out lie to you about the DR being opened. I mean, ok, try to head me to the buffet, but if I say no, which dining room is open, don't out and out lie to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate that. I know they are probably doing what they are told, but it is so frustrating. That's why I just go to the dining room directly after dropping carryon's off at cabin.

Pooh