Scandinavia/Russia - Do I need cash for each country?

Crystabel

We're visiting several countries on our Scandinavia/Russia cruise in July and will try to pay for everything with a credit card. However, after reading several threads on cruises in Europe, it appears that cash may be required for small items, one of which is the cost to use a public restroom. I'd hate to be caught out in the cold, so to speak, when nature calls. For those who've traveled to this part of the world, do you recommend we take a little cash for each country we're visiting, and if so, how much?

Finland, Estonia and Germany use the euro (ā‚¬). Russia, Sweden and Denmark use their own currencies. Today's exchange rate was ā‚¬1 = $1.38

Ā 

I suppose the amount to take will depend on the exchange rate. It looks like the US dollar doesn't go very far in Europe.

' As was already said, seems about $50 for each different currency seems the norm. that is what we took when we went. We decided to get it before we left, thru our local bank.

There are many who simply don't want to, and will try and use American Dollars to buy everything. Very few people will not take it, but why find the one who won't when you want to buy something.:D:D. Many other just prefer to hit the ATM if the need arises.

Myself, I like to be prepared and not have to hunt down an ATM if the need arose. $50 is more than enough, especially if you are using a Credit Card for most purchases.

Ā 

We just liked the idea of using the prevalent currency in each country to sort of enhance our experience in that country. Shopkeepers always seemed to appreciate when we tried to use the local currency.

Ā 

Cheers

Ā 

Len

In Norway it's usually 5NOK.

Ā 

Furthermore, there are ATMs everywhere in Scandinavia, so you won't have a problem getting cash if you need it. Very few places apart from tourist information offices take dollars (at least that's the case in Norway,) and when they do, the exchange rate is terrible. You're much better off using a credit or debit card as that's what most people use here anyway. (I live in Norway, and I hardly ever use cash. :) )

Probably a silly question, but what denominations would be needed to use a public restroom? I'd hate to not have small enough denominations and get ripped off. :confused:

Ā 

I don't remember exactly but the places I know of in Stockholm charges something like 10-20SEK* if it is a manned toilet.

Ā 

*approx 1.5-3USD, 1-2 GBP.

When we are just wandering around on our own we either look out for a large hotel or else go and have a coffee. In Russia they took us to places where we could use the toilets for free. Different if you are not travelling in a group I suspect.

Always prudent to have a small amount of local currency on you just in case. In addition to the washrooms that have been mentioned, smaller items like coffee or snacks are easier to buy if you have cash.

Ā 

It's easy to get a little currency prior to departing for your cruise. If that's a problem you should check with your cruiseline to see if they will have it for sale.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. I believe I'll do as suggested and bring a small amount of currency for each country. As we'll be out and about every day, all day, a bit of local cash will probably come in handy.

Agreed! :) Especially since some of the Danish coins have little holes in them.

Ā 

attachment.php?attachmentid=303728&stc=1&d=1393535190

Ā 

Ā 

The one on the left called a 25 Ƙre (cent perhaps) is not used anymore.

Ā 

At Copenhagen central station the price is 5 kroner (the last of the silver coins).

At the public toilets at StrĆøget and Nyhavn I only think that payment is optional or so it has been in the past.

But if it has changed I would say no more than 5 kroner.

I will get some currency for each stop ( 6 currencies in all ), if I have any left over then I shall just have to take another cruise to that area to spend it!!

Ā 

Part of the excitement is dealing with different money!! I lead a very sheltered life...

Probably a silly question, but what denominations would be needed to use a public restroom? I'd hate to not have small enough denominations and get ripped off. :confused:

In Germany you will need 10c,20c or 50c euro coins.

Prices range from 30 euro cents in most places (eg. shopping malls, department stores) to 50c in coin-in-the-slot or turnstile type and 1 euro (outrageous) in some of the big railway stations. The latter includes Rostock Hbf but to be fair, you do get a 50c voucher from the machine to spend in one of the station cafes!

I know it goes against the grain with non-Europeans to have to pay but personally would rather pay to use a spotlessly clean facility, and just about all public restrooms are cleaned after every user, than use a hygienically doubtful one for free

If you really don't want to pay, make use of the facilities free to customers every time you use the train, a cafe, restaurant or tourist attraction although these are sometimes unattended and not as good as public restrooms. However, hotels,restaurants and cafes where you are not a customer will charge you, usually 50c. You may find it difficult to just walk in, use their facilities and walk out again. Most hotels and restaurants like to know who is on the premises for security reasons.

Ā 

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Yes, certainly an advantage.

In Scandanavia what is the latest on credit cards used in restaurants, shops and/or ATM's.

Are we needing chip and pin, chip and magnetic strip.

Any recent input would be most appreciated. Thanks...Robbie

Yes, certainly an advantage.

In Scandanavia what is the latest on credit cards used in restaurants, shops and/or ATM's.

Are we needing chip and pin, chip and magnetic strip.

Any recent input would be most appreciated. Thanks...Robbie

Ā 

To my knowledge, in Sweden it is mandatory by law for all places that accepts payment with credit/debit/bank cards to have

card terminal(s) that is able to handle chip+pin cards which makes them the most common type of card terminal

but some places might have terminals that accepts cards of both types.

Ā 

ATMs and like ticket machine will most likely accept both types of cards.

Edited by Desdichado62