Goodbye wine cellar?

brightonbuoy

The ship's movement thing is really only an issue with cask conditioned ales such as one would find in a good British pub. Most draught beers are filtered, pasteurized and do not contain sediment - making them much easier to "keep". Having said that, a reasonably quick consumption is required in order to ensure it is served fresh. A few draughts in a regularly used venue shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you:) I knew someone would have the correct explanation!

Somehow, when they created cellar masters, the book keepers got involved and made something that should have been incredibly simple into a marketing disaster. We've enjoyed wine machines in Europe and would have certainly used them on the ship if all I had to do was to swipe my room card to get a drink. Instead, you have to buy a special card and you have no idea how much to buy...and who wants to have to remember to carry two cards...and so on.

It made no sense when installed...it makes no sense now....so they really have a choice...change the machines to take room cards and add the charges to your bill....or replace the machines that can do that....or just remove the machines and create some different environment.

Personally, I think it would be great if the machines just took my room card...but if not, I'm happy if they just take them away. They get so little use now, I wouldn't trust the wine condition.

On our last cruise we had the liquor package and walked into the Cellar Masters Lounge to see what was available. There were a few people and they gave us the stink eye as if we were interupting their private party or not worthy enough to be in there. I looked at the daily sheet and there wasn't anything scheduled in there. There was a small buffet counter set with figs, crackers, cheeses, grapes and etc. I took a plate, used the tongs and got a a few items to have with a glass of wine. We sat down and waited for the server. While sitting there no one else came in or even looked into the place. After 10 minutes of being snubbed we left those few self chosen to thier private domain.

The next day we went in to try again. It was about the same senario. We then decided to take the plate and go to another bar to get a glass of wine.

As we were walking out the "attendant" approached us and informed us that we couldn't take the plates out of the lounge. I looked at him and said "Great, now I know how to get your attention as you didn't notice us yesterday or when we were waiting for someone to take our order today" My wife and I handed him the plates and left. That place disappeared from the ship for us as we never noticed it again.

I can see why they would consider using the area for something else.

🌅🚢🇺🇸

I went in Cellarmasters almost every afternoon and the same sweet attendant was always there (except the last day when I wanted to tip him :rolleyes: :( ).

I always got a glass of wine that was ONLY available there (I've forgotten the name now - it was the only $13/glass dry red on the ship).

Every day he offered me the hors d'oeuvres.

Sometimes there were other people there - sometimes not - but I never got the awful reception you did.

Our cruise was the on Eclipse in Feb. This just shows how the same place can offer two totally opposite experiences.

(We also went in nightly to listen to the string trio. Same sweet attendant.)

We were on Reflection last month and went in one night. There was no attendant and less than a half dozen people drinking wine. We waited about ten minutes with no sign of a server and left.

We were on a 14 night Eclipse cruise in March. It appears as if it is standard procedures accross the fleet, the servers must be issued a manual of procedures to follow when working in that area.

🍸

:)Just returned in March from a cruise on the celebrity summit to the southern carribean with our son and daughter-in-law. Had a fabulous time and my husband and I are leaving again on the celebrity summit on May 4th to cruise to Bermuda for our 55th wedding anniversary. We are looking very forward to this cruise!

I love Cellar Masters, it's my venue of choice for a glass of wine before dinner Cellar Masters did offer a tapas menu on the millennium last year on an Alaska cruise I took. It was great. I was disappointed that when I asked for the menu on the Infinity in October I was informed that Tapa's were discontinued.

The ergo whatever wine dispenser machines are awful. I tried them numerous times on various ships and I was always disappointed with the freshness of the wine. Many were obviously " turned ", and the cards were a hassle.

I agree with Host Andy, bring back Tapa's fleet wide, maybe entertainment too. Do not add TV's and turn it into a sports bar....