Goodbye wine cellar?

brightonbuoy

Has anyone else noticed the statement: "We have no plans to get rid of Cellar Masters or Bistro on Five at this time" What do you think "at this time" means?

Mary Lou

Getting rid of the Bistro wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. I think that turning Michael's into a Zenith/Suite lounge and moving the beer up to Cellar Masters would make Cellar Masters better utilized, but I think Michael's now will be the new Cellar Masters with regard to usage.

The rumours continue to fly….

We have heard from several sources (i.e.. the sister of my somebody's manicurist knows a guy etc)

The wine dispensers required too much maintenance, experienced too much down time and are in the process of being removed. Beer in whatever form will be removed from Michael's which will be turned into Concierge/Suite/Z lounge.

Our most pleasant evenings were recently spent sipping port while listening to the string trio in Cellar Masters on Eclipse… Luxury Cruising at its best.

I wish Cellar Masters was the chosen site for the lounge on S-class ships.

Sent from Michael's on Century… Life does not get better than this.. thank you Celebrity. :D

We were on the cruise after you and also spent many evenings in Cellar Masters listening to the wonderful string trio. However, we were among less than 20 other people in there at a time.

Cheeses and other light hors d'oeuvres were also available to go with your wine.

The wine dispensers didn't work on our cruise at all.

There were, however, many wines that we could only get in Cellar Masters.

Hi Celebrity,

If I might ask - are there any plans to update/modify Cellar Masters ? Personally, I love how it looks - but it would be great if food (perhaps pub style bites) were offered. I'd also suggest removing the wine dispensers. I have not had good experiences with them, and guests generally seem to avoid them. IMO, if you were to add some small bite items, a wide selection of international beers, and a couple of knowledgeable sommeliers, in place of the dispensers, & a piano performer in the evening (as Michael's Club is no longer be available for this) Cellar Masters would become an instant hit with your Guests !

I hope you will consider some or all of my suggestions. Thank you !

Hi Andy and Celebrity. What a brilliant idea. I say turn Cellar Masters into a wine and tapas bar (with craft beers as Andy has suggested). Keeping with the wine theme but that could be a much better way to draw revenue to that venue. Could even sell cheese and charcuterie platters/wine flight pairings. Just make sure it's GOOD cheese if you're going to charge for it - of Murano quality as opposed to the kind you get for free from room service. I think we just solved the Cellar Masters being underused issue. :D

Hi all,

We wanted to let you know that this is a rumor, and is not true. We have no plans to get rid of Cellar Masters or Bistro on Five at this time. Hope that clears up any confusion!

but......we read it on the internet so it must be true:)

Thanks for taking the time to set the record straight.

BTW - we spent time almost every evening of a recent 14 night cruise in Cellar Masters. We enjoyed a pre-dinner drink or a wine flight while listening to the strings trio. We certainly enjoyed the venue and are happy to see that it will remain. I think folks are a bit scarred off because it is so dark and quiet and often seems so formal.

m

A highlight of my one Celebrity cruise was Cellar Masters. I enjoyed the quiet and pleasant surroundings to enjoy some fine wine. I found the machines easy to use, but I do agree that it took me several days to realize that other wines by the glass could be obtained there. More advertising of what Cellar Masters has to offer once one is aboard might increase the patronage of the facility.

I hope it will be retained.

I've also read that this is happening and from my experience Cellar Master's is definitely under utilized. My wife and I love hanging out there before dinner or any evening we'd like a quiet place to sit and relax and enjoy a good glass of wine. We always buy the wine card early in the cruise.

Princess has something similar and for some reason seems to be more popular (at least on the cruises I've been on). The Princess version is more open and visible to people walking by, perhaps that lends itself to being noticed?

Anyway, I'll be sad if it gets replaced but understand that Celebrity needs to maximize it's ships. I just hope that they continue to find a way to offer a larger variety of wines than is currently available at the other bars.

I totally get what you are saying about princess' version being more noticed and more popular. I think that one of the reasons for this is their communal table, which inspires conviviality and the sharing of not only bottles, but wine experiences and winery/vineyard stories as well. In Cellar Masters, we felt segregated and did not feel like our advances would have been welcome in joining any couple or group. The wine stewards were friendly and knowledgable and offered us (for purchase) some really interesting wines not on the regular menu.

Has anyone else noticed the statement: "We have no plans to get rid of Cellar Masters or Bistro on Five at this time" What do you think "at this time" means?

Mary Lou

I think they are giving us the best info they have but things could change in the future.

Does anyone know what the price of a wine card is??

snow bunny

We've always purchased wine by the glass in Cellar Masters. In fact, on our last cruise a wine card was not even mentioned by the sommelier. From what I've read they are doing away with the machines so no need for a wine card.

Mary Lou

snow bunny

On the Reflection last Nov they sold them in varying amounts, and the more it was the larger of a bonus amount they gave. But yes, it has been reported by quite a few that the machines are going to be removed.

snow bunny

We paid $100.00 for a wine card on embarkation day and it was loaded with S130.00. We really enjoyed trying the different wines from the machines.

The enomatic machines are out of service permanently on Eclipse.

Still in service on Connie. Everything will change as soon as Michael's are renovated and beer moved… probably within a month or so.

Hi Celebrity,

If I might ask - are there any plans to update/modify Cellar Masters ? Personally, I love how it looks - but it would be great if food (perhaps pub style bites) were offered. I'd also suggest removing the wine dispensers. I have not had good experiences with them, and guests generally seem to avoid them. IMO, if you were to add some small bite items, a wide selection of international beers, and a couple of knowledgeable sommeliers, in place of the dispensers, & a piano performer in the evening (as Michael's Club is no longer be available for this) Cellar Masters would become an instant hit with your Guests !

I hope you will consider some or all of my suggestions. Thank you !

Small bites are a great idea. You can share them before dinner or as a snack at any time. On a couple of P&O (UK) ships they have a bar called The Glass House. It has small plates available at £3, sort of tapas size, and they are imaginative and well prepared.

I agree with other posters that the wine machines put us off a bit and are rendered pretty useless due to the drinks packages. However, it is such a lovely bar and has great seating. I hope they keep it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Loved the look and feel of CM's on the Solstice, but was put off by the constant push to buy very pricy glasses of wine followed by the passive aggressive snub when we went with wines within the premium package. It was really disappointing because we loved going in there, but would have to ready ourselves each time for a repeat of the same situation. Several times we just decided to hit Molecular where we were enjoyed the bartender better. We did have a word with the Head Sommelier about the Sommelier working in CM's, and he said we were not the only ones to bring this to his attention. I am glad they are keeping it, and agree that adding the beers and small bites would be a great idea.

Have to add my 2 cents. Agree with HostAndy that Cellar Masters was a beautiful room totally underused. The wine machines, when they were working, were not user friendly since you had to buy those cards and then figure out how to use up all the money. As to Michael's, we thought the idea of a good beer venue made sense until we stopped-in on the Silhouette. I asked if they had Guinness on tap and they explained they had nothing draught..but only bottles. When I go to a decent beer venue I expect lots of draught beer options...not overpriced bottles. Despite spending another 40+ days on those Solstice Class ships we never bought another beer in Michaels.

Hank

Have to add my 2 cents. Agree with HostAndy that Cellar Masters was a beautiful room totally underused. The wine machines, when they were working, were not user friendly since you had to buy those cards and then figure out how to use up all the money. As to Michael's, we thought the idea of a good beer venue made sense until we stopped-in on the Silhouette. I asked if they had Guinness on tap and they explained they had nothing draught..but only bottles. When I go to a decent beer venue I expect lots of draught beer options...not overpriced bottles. Despite spending another 40+ days on those Solstice Class ships we never bought another beer in Michaels.

Hank

Someone more knowledgeable hopefully will jump in, but there was a thread recently about the impracticality of draught beer on a cruise ship. Apparently the movement of the ship etc is not good plus there has to be a really high turnover to keep the beer fresh. They do have cheap beer on tap at the Sunset Bar, Amstel Light and Bud

The wine bar on S class ships is beautiful, centrally located, and quiet. Not many people use it. I love it. It is especially nice late afternoon. Great comfy chairs. Best place to relax away from the crowd. It is a true hideaway. I am not surprised that they will convert it. I rarely see many people using it. On M class ships it is just a walk-through. Lots of traffic especially at meal times. It would be hard to convert it to a limited venue.

Funny you say that, because I experienced exactly that on Connie last month. We walked through it every night on the way to dinner. Only once or twice did we see anyone it it. It was like a hallway with chairs almost. It does seem like they could utilize the area better. A pub would be cool, with appetizers. Not that I drink beer, but it would be neat. ;)

On our last cruise we had the liquor package and walked into the Cellar Masters Lounge to see what was available. There were a few people and they gave us the stink eye as if we were interupting their private party or not worthy enough to be in there. I looked at the daily sheet and there wasn't anything scheduled in there. There was a small buffet counter set with figs, crackers, cheeses, grapes and etc. I took a plate, used the tongs and got a a few items to have with a glass of wine. We sat down and waited for the server. While sitting there no one else came in or even looked into the place. After 10 minutes of being snubbed we left those few self chosen to thier private domain.

The next day we went in to try again. It was about the same senario. We then decided to take the plate and go to another bar to get a glass of wine.

As we were walking out the "attendant" approached us and informed us that we couldn't take the plates out of the lounge. I looked at him and said "Great, now I know how to get your attention as you didn't notice us yesterday or when we were waiting for someone to take our order today" My wife and I handed him the plates and left. That place disappeared from the ship for us as we never noticed it again.

I can see why they would consider using the area for something else.

🌅🚢🇺🇸

Official word from Celebrity...

I emailed captains club about BLU and if suites can still use it. The rules remain unchanged, Suites can use as available even with dedicated suite restaurant.

As to positioning/location of the Suite restaurant, here's their reply:

Blu will still be available to Aqua Class guest only. Suite guests will only be allowed if there is availability. A dedicated private restaurant will be reserved exclusively for Suite Class guests and will be available morning, noon, and night. The restaurant exclusively for Suite Class guests will be located in a newly created space just off the Main restaurant. On Millennium Class ships, the restaurant will be located on Deck 5 Port side. On Solstice Class ships, it will be located on Deck 4 Port side. Sky Suites and above will have access to the private restaurant.

On our last cruise we had the liquor package and walked into the Cellar Masters Lounge to see what was available. There were a few people and they gave us the stink eye as if we were interupting their private party or not worthy enough to be in there. I looked at the daily sheet and there wasn't anything scheduled in there. There was a small buffet counter set with figs, crackers, cheeses, grapes and etc. I took a plate, used the tongs and got a a few items to have with a glass of wine. We sat down and waited for the server. While sitting there no one else came in or even looked into the place. After 10 minutes of being snubbed we left those few self chosen to thier private domain.

The next day we went in to try again. It was about the same senario. We then decided to take the plate and go to another bar to get a glass of wine.

As we were walking out the "attendant" approached us and informed us that we couldn't take the plates out of the lounge. I looked at him and said "Great, now I know how to get your attention as you didn't notice us yesterday or when we were waiting for someone to take our order today" My wife and I handed him the plates and left. That place disappeared from the ship for us as we never noticed it again.

I can see why they would consider using the area for something else.

🌅🚢🇺🇸

We were on Reflection last month and went in one night. There was no attendant and less than a half dozen people drinking wine. We waited about ten minutes with no sign of a server and left.

Someone more knowledgeable hopefully will jump in, but there was a thread recently about the impracticality of draught beer on a cruise ship. Apparently the movement of the ship etc is not good plus there has to be a really high turnover to keep the beer fresh. They do have cheap beer on tap at the Sunset Bar, Amstel Light and Bud

The ship's movement thing is really only an issue with cask conditioned ales such as one would find in a good British pub. Most draught beers are filtered, pasteurized and do not contain sediment - making them much easier to "keep". Having said that, a reasonably quick consumption is required in order to ensure it is served fresh. A few draughts in a regularly used venue shouldn't be an issue.