Nail Polish used in the spa?

stitch81

Have a question. When we were on board the Conquest in January, I had a manicure done. The polish lasted and looked good for nearly 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to what brand they were using. Does anyone happen to know?

I was on the Conquest last October and the lady in the spa asked me about my nails. I had them done at home prior to the cruise. I told her it was Shellac. She commented that she thought it might be and they had started using Shellac in the spa. It is a wonderful product and lasts for weeks.

I have had a Shellac manicure for my past three cruises and two weeks at a beach and have never had any problems with salt water and suntan lotion. Even digging in the sand with my long nails didn't cause any chips or problems at all. I like OPI as well but, Shellac is the way to go for my cruises and beach trips.

Shellac is wonderful. Some salons also call it gell. It can last up to 3 weeks. Go to a local nail salon and they will be able to help you out. I too have never had a problem with any lotion or sand and I always do at home before we go

I usually have a pedicure done at home before we leave and use OPI. Great polish and very tough. It always lasted a long time then suddenly I started having problems with it peeling or coming off right after getting a pedicure. I thought the salon was cutting corners until I was at a spa on one of our land vacations and she heard me talking about planning on getting in the hot tub later. She told me not to get in anything with chlorine or salt water for 24 hours after getting my nails done as it would damage the polish. Sure enough, I realized I'd been in the pool after every time I'd had issues with the polish prior to that. I'd get a pedicure at lunch time then go swim after work.

Since then, I've always made sure no pool or hot tub for 24 hours afterward and no more problems with the polish chipping or smudging off.

Have a question. When we were on board the Conquest in January, I had a manicure done. The polish lasted and looked good for nearly 3 weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to what brand they were using. Does anyone happen to know?

If you were able to remove it with regular nail polish remover, it was not shellac. They most likely would have used OPI polish. If your nail tech used a tacky or super sticky base coat, the polish regular polish will stay on and look nice for a while.

I have had a Shellac manicure for my past three cruises and two weeks at a beach and have never had any problems with salt water and suntan lotion. Even digging in the sand with my long nails didn't cause any chips or problems at all. I like OPI as well but, Shellac is the way to go for my cruises and beach trips.

OPI is the brand shellac that my salon uses on my nails. LOVE IT.

I have not had my nails done onboard but if it was shellac/gel and you want something less involved to use at home, it's really all about the base and top coats you use. I used to never be able to have my nails done without at least one chip within 24 hours. Then I started using a good base coat (I like china glaze, but others are good as well other ones I use are Seche Clear and also one from Orly) and then for the top coat I swear by Seche Vite... when I use seche vite my nails last for a week or more, usually, regardless of what actual polish I used and it dries fast. Currently I'm wearing sinful colors, which is like $2 at walgreens, and it's been on a full week and the only nail that is messed up is the one I messed up before it had dried completely and was too busy to re-do. Otherwise no chips, no cracks.

~Katy

Same here. Never an issue.

• 2 years later...

It is CND VINYLUX NAIL COLOUR

I also got a manicure on the Conquest:D. Carnival's spas are Elemis spas so I am pretty sure the nail polish brand is CND. https://www.timetospa.com/cnd/nail-color/?SortOptionID=&pagesize=1000

CND is correct! :) I'm a polish junkie (read: I own a lot of polish) - so I made sure to look when I was there! I do my own nails though. :)

• 1 year later...