Attention Flowboarders!

liberiben

It has been confirmed by 3 people that know Sports Staff on various ships that we will no longer be allowed to bring our personal boards for use anymore. They have yet to give a reason. I have already emailed the powers that be since after the rules ban the bombardment of emails seemed to finally work in our favor. So, I would encourage you to do so again. The emails are agoldstein@rccl.com and fferrari@rccl.com

My oldest worked at the "World's Largest" water park in the Wisconsin Dells. They have a flowrider. The boards are specially designed for the ride. They are not the typical boogie boards that you would use at the beach. Unless you have invested in boards made by the company that makes the flowrider I can see why they would not allow any type of boards on this ride.

I can think of a lot of reasons why they would not want people bringing their own boards. I really can't think of why I would want to bring my own though. Is there a benefit to it?

I know on the Independence of the Seas transatlantic in 2012 their was a very passionate and friendly group of surfers who had wet suites (can't remember if they had their own boards) and went surfing daily so I can understand that there are some very passionate FlowRider enthusiasts out there.

My oldest worked at the "World's Largest" water park in the Wisconsin Dells. They have a flowrider. The boards are specially designed for the ride. They are not the typical boogie boards that you would use at the beach. Unless you have invested in boards made by the company that makes the flowrider I can see why they would not allow any type of boards on this ride.

What boards are you think I am speaking of? These are Waveloch boards we have(they make the Flowrider). The benefits are that we do not have to use the worst board in Wavelochs flowboard line, they really are horrible.

Wow, with the boards running in the hundreds of dollars by Waveloch you must be a very big enthusiast. You must have a flowrider very close to you or own one to make such and investment. Of course I knew they sold boards, but didn't realize most people would go and buy their own unless they owned their own flowrider. Guests who come to Noah's Ark try many things.....and then wonder why the guards tell them they are not allowed to do that. Sorry if I offended you Lauren.

It has been confirmed by 3 people that know Sports Staff on various ships that we will no longer be allowed to bring our personal boards for use anymore. They have yet to give a reason. I have already emailed the powers that be since after the rules ban the bombardment of emails seemed to finally work in our favor. So, I would encourage you to do so again. The emails are agoldstein@rccl.com and fferrari@rccl.com

Wow! This isn't good. Now I'll have to get the word on why from our friends on the sports staff. On each of our 5 most recent cruises, there were several riders who brought their boards also.

We live in Denver and only flowride on the ships; even so, I thought the price was fine especially for such a nice board.

Edited by talia-co

Just playing devils advocate here, but is it really so much of a big deal that people need to email Adam Goldstein? How much time do you spend on the Flowrider anyway? Just think of it as one less (large and bulky) thing you have to carry. :)

Just playing devils advocate here, but is it really so much of a big deal that people need to email Adam Goldstein?

Most definitely! If you talk to 100 customer service reps at RCCL, you get 100 different answers. All of my questions directed via e-mail to Adam Goldstein are always answered by RCCL promptly by people who are well informed. It is obvious that Mr. Goldstein does not personally read all these e-mails, but has someone constantly going through them and assigning them to QUALIFIED individuals who are informed and answer questions properly.

How much time do you spend on the Flowrider anyway?

Every waking moment that it is open and my DW lets me on that thing!!;)

Just think of it as one less (large and bulky) thing you have to carry. :)

I carry one small suitcase, a camera bag, and will carry my new board on with me. That is far less that I see a couple entering a suite with 20 suitcases carrying. Am I not entitled to bring one item for my enjoyment? Do you suggest people not bring their own books on board? You know there is a library on board where you can borrow a book and not have to carry it around with you in your personal luggage?

I can think of a lot of reasons why they would not want people bringing their own boards. I really can't think of why I would want to bring my own though. Is there a benefit to it?

Until you have ridden on a higher quality board or one made by a different company, you really have no idea what you are missing. I too did not realized the difference til I tried riding an Ash flowboard a few months back for the first time. I have now purchased one and was planning on using on the Independence in 11 days (I hope they will let me, but now I am hearing I may have issues).

Your question is kind of like saying, when one can borrow your Mom's beat up Smart Car or drive your own brand new BMW what would you want to do??? My guess is that you would prefer your new BMW.

Ok, I just talked with someone currently on the Allure sports staff and they said they had not heard of any change yet. So, I think everyone should wait for official clarification before sending an email if one is inclined to do so. I'm waiting to hear from some other staff. I'll report here later if I am told anything of significance.

Edited by talia-co

Ok, I just talked with someone currently on the Allure sports staff and they said they had not heard of any change yet. So, I think everyone should wait for official clarification before sending an email if one is inclined to do so. I'm waiting to hear from some other staff. I'll report here later if I am told anything of significance.

You on board right now? If so could you see if they are still doing the best of the best.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Until you have ridden on a higher quality board or one made by a different company, you really have no idea what you are missing. I too did not realized the difference til I tried riding an Ash flowboard a few months back for the first time. I have now purchased one and was planning on using on the Independence in 11 days (I hope they will let me, but now I am hearing I may have issues).

Your question is kind of like saying, when one can borrow your Mom's beat up Smart Car or drive your own brand new BMW what would you want to do??? My guess is that you would prefer your new BMW.

In all fairness, to make this analogy work, you'd have to include this detail: You can walk right out to the driveway and hop into your mom's Smart Car, and when youre done you can walk away from it;whereas, in order to drive the nicer car you must put a couple hundred dollars into the glove compartment and carry the tires around the house twice (simulating pour chasing the board and then transporting it to and from the port city). The

Smart Car (obviously, the ship's board), while not as nice, is a whole lot cheaper and easier. The vast majority of us are going to choose that option!

Edited by MrsPete

You on board right now? If so could you see if they are still doing the best of the best.

Many thanks,

Andrew

No, sadly we are back in Denver. We were on the Allure last month and they did have the Best of Best show on Saturday night! The Flow Show was immediately after.

I hope this isn't true. I'm so looking forward to using my board to try out the new Flowrider on the Navigator at the end of March.

On my last cruise on Oasis I saw a bunch of people with their own boards, but I suffered with the ship's boards, which don't match my style of riding at all. I made my first visit to a land-based Flowrider in December and tried out one of the WaveLoch Carve boards and noticed a change in what I could do immediately, so I bought one. I don't have any problem lugging it with me. I see plenty of people lugging golf clubs with them on vacation and my Flowboard is much smaller than that.

As far as how much time I spend on the Flowrider, since the Navigator only has one, I'll probably be there for every moment they have stand-up sessions. I'm loyal to Royal because of the Flowrider.

No, sadly we are back in Denver. We were on the Allure last month and they did have the Best of Best show on Saturday night! The Flow Show was immediately after.

Thanks for the info. We are on Oasis soon and counting the days.

Wow! This isn't good. Now I'll have to get the word on why from our friends on the sports staff. On each of our 5 most recent cruises, there were several riders who brought their boards also.

We live in Denver and only flowride on the ships; even so, I thought the price was fine especially for such a nice board.

Hey talia-co, glad to see more Flowriders in CO. Hopefully we'll get one in Denver soon. I was so disappointed when I went to Water World for the "Flowrider" and saw that boogie-board only monstrosity.

You say you only Flowride on ships, do you know about the Hotel Cascada in Albuquerque? They have a double Flowrider there in their indoor waterpark, and it's only $15 bucks for 5 hour sessions if you tell them you only want to do the Flowrider. They also do lessons for $15pp for the hour before the park opens. We found it in December and have already made the trip down twice. It's a long drive, but it gives us our fix between cruises.

Many thanks,

Andrew

This is a bit dated, but they did Best of the Best on Oasis when we were on Halloween week. Unlike all of my previous cruises, they did the Flow Show one of the nights instead of immediately after Best of the Best. They also did an "Adults Only" session one night, when I had only seen Teen Sessions held at night on other cruises. A couple of the really good teenagers showed up at the Adult Session and they turned them away.

Hey Mil76! Yes we need one in Denver! I didn't know about the Albuquerque possibility. Thanks so much. We will definitely look into it. Looks like it is a nice wide Flowrider!

Just like you we are royal loyals because of the Flowrider. We laugh at having to "prepare ourselves" for the one Flowrider on the Quantum and Navigator! :) I would be interested to hear about your experience on the Navigator as we will be sailing her later this year.

Take care and have a great time on your cruise!

Edited by talia-co

This is a bit dated, but they did Best of the Best on Oasis when we were on Halloween week. Unlike all of my previous cruises, they did the Flow Show one of the nights instead of immediately after Best of the Best. They also did an "Adults Only" session one night, when I had only seen Teen Sessions held at night on other cruises. A couple of the really good teenagers showed up at the Adult Session and they turned them away.

We were on Oasis in November and it was the same deal. Someone recently said that there had been no BOB for their Allure sailing, even though there were enough good riders to hold one. More curious than anything.

Who asks 3 uninformed people anything?

Half the surf crew are grumpy on a given day. The other half don't care.

Just sayin...

jc

We were on Oasis in November and it was the same deal. Someone recently said that there had been no BOB for their Allure sailing, even though there were enough good riders to hold one. More curious than anything.

We had no BOB on Oasis in mid January, and there were people who could out surf anyone who had won BOB on two previous Flowrider cruises I had been on.

jc<----- who competed in BOB and comparatively shouldn't have.