Customs At Heathrow

We are flying into Heathrow for a cruise out of Southampton. Our plan is to take the National Express bus to there and need an idea of how much time it takes to clear customs and immigration before schedule a bus trip. Any good guess would be appreciated.

We are flying into Heathrow for a cruise out of Southampton. Our plan is to take the National Express bus to there and need an idea of how much time it takes to clear customs and immigration before schedule a bus trip. Any good guess would be appreciated.

All depends what time your flight is landing, if it's 0600 in the morning then you'll fly through. If it's nearer midday or after it could take over a hour easily.

Anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on factors of which you have no control such as the number of immigration inspectors available or they care to deploy, how many other planes arrive at the same time, the time of day, the terminal. While you are waiting on the queue for imigration, and none eu immigration usually takes longer as often you get a through grilling, other time a couple of quick questions, your bags will be delivered on carousels in the custom hall (usually they are there when you get through immigration (passport control). You find your bags and probably walk through the "nothing to declare" green channel and that is usually it for customs. Nobody can give you a definitive answer no matter how knowlegeable they think they are. Personally, if at all possible, I always try to leave one day to unwind in London and take the National Express Bus the next day and not have to worry about things I can't control but I don't know your particular schedule.

Edited by MATHA531

Also take into consideration the flight delays (we have never landed on time at LHR)

The long walk to get to Immigration/baggage hall etc..

I would plan on at least 2 hrs

Are you flying in the same day as the cruise departs???

Very early morning or after midday will be smoothest. Otherwise Immigration can be unpredictable so allow 2 hours. It isnt a Customs issue, its Immigration. Everyone has to clear immigration whereas only a select few are questioned by Customs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Also take into consideration the flight delays (we have never landed on time at LHR)

The long walk to get to Immigration/baggage hall etc..

That walk was ridiculously long! I don't know whether things will be better when the new terminal opens. I hope so.

That walk was ridiculously long! I don't know whether things will be better when the new terminal opens. I hope so.

I think they design some airports like that so they have time to off load the baggage before you get there :D

Toronto airport is like a line up for a ride at Disney ..up /down a long hall then down to customs/immigration then around & down another hall to the baggage area :eek:

We'll be arriving at Terminal 5, about 10am. There is a National Express bus out at noon. Would that work timewise? We're heading to Portsmouth for a couple of days prior to our cruise.

Look, and I don't mean this to be unpleasant and please don't take it that way but if I say probably it means just that. But then again, ATC delays at Heathrow are common place and as I said earlier a lot depends on how many immigration officers are deployed (civil service and all) so while the likelihood is that you'll make it, nobody can give you absolute assurance that it might be tight. Personally, I would feel safer with a 1 PM bus or even 2 PM.

We'll be arriving at Terminal 5, about 10am. There is a National Express bus out at noon. Would that work timewise? We're heading to Portsmouth for a couple of days prior to our cruise.

Usually a pretty bad time in terminal 5.. Allow over two hours unless your business or first class. 12 will be hard to make.