Galveston legendary Balinese Room to be rebuilt

ssb

According to Houston Chronicle

Three Southeast Texas developers plan to rebuild the legendary Balinese Room on a pier extending from the Galveston seawall — as it was before Hurricane Ike smashed it in 2008.:)

According to Houston Chronicle

Three Southeast Texas developers plan to rebuild the legendary Balinese Room on a pier extending from the Galveston seawall — as it was before Hurricane Ike smashed it in 2008.:)

Please post the link so we call all read the article.

Thanks!

Kat 50.gif

Ah, the Balinese Room representing part of Galveston's less than legitimate past! There's gambling going on there? Didn't Sam Maceo leave for Las Vegas when the gambling was finally shut down for good? FYI, I believe Tillman Frettita's great aunt was married to Sam Maceo and Tillman's father worked for him. Guess the family reputation can be rehabilitated it you invest enough money in the town!

Actually it was Joseph Francis Fertitta who married Sam Maceo's sister, Olivia Maceo.

Both families emigrated from Sicily in the early 1900's.

Galveston was quite prosperous when gambling was prolific on the island.

Wish it would come back.

Loved going to the Balinese Room for music and dance.

My parents were there in the 50's and were at the Turf Club when it got raided:eek: Nothing happened to them and after 30 minutes all was back to normal;)

This would be interesting in terms of added excitement on the island. Apparently Girl Scout cookies take up part of Sunday so I think my goal of the Barcus and Meoux is out of the question now.

Sorry, but understand. Dropped off a huge crate of beads at the Humane Society for the parade on Sunday:D

Not going this year as busy getting our home ready for the GHF Homes Tour in May:)

Will have our own Barkus and Meow parade with Tuxedo, Sylvester and Sherman at home:p

Loved going to the Balinese Room for music and dance.

My parents were there in the 50's and were at the Turf Club when it got raided:eek: Nothing happened to them and after 30 minutes all was back to normal;)

How cool is that

Is this the same Balinese that ZZTOP sang about?

Also you house is on the tour this year? Congrats

Might have to come down;)

Yes this is the place of which ZZ Top sings. According to local legend it is where the margarita was invented. Created by a hispanic bartender for singer Peggy Lee. Her stage name Peggy derived from the name Margaret thus margarita. Although I am not aware that she was ever referred to as Margaret, (and her birth name was Norma) so who knows.

I, like GalvestonCrusier, have a lot of old family stories regarding this famous place sorry to say most died with my parents and grandparents. I wish I would have paid more attention when I thought they were trying to bore me to death remembering their glory days.

I was "lucky" enough to have strolled though it Aug. 9,2008 a little over a month before Ike destroyed her. She wasn't pretty and it was kind of sad because you could see the ghost of what she must have been. I do have an old postcard that shows her in her hay day.

The old Galvestonians I know say they miss the mob family that keep thing in control back then. They say there was no crime to speak of and I have never been quite sure how to take that. LOL

Sorry, but understand. Dropped off a huge crate of beads at the Humane Society for the parade on Sunday:D

Not going this year as busy getting our home ready for the GHF Homes Tour in May:)

Will have our own Barkus and Meow parade with Tuxedo, Sylvester and Sherman at home:p

3 barkers and 4 meowers here.

Part of ZZ top lives next to friend of the dw. Supposedly really nice neighbors.