I don't understand Your Time Dining

petesweet

On our recent Fantasy cruise, we were put into Your Time Dining because it was a last-minute cruise and our early dining choice was not available. We thought this was a good time to try what people say is so special. We have never liked it on NCL but never tried it on any other cruise line.

People say they like that they can choose their own dining time. Great. We did not need that choice. We like to eat at the same time every day.

People say if you like your wait team, you can ask for them. That's fine, but there's the problem. Either you, like us, wait in a long line to grab our favorite table or team before someone else, or we get put "wherever." I don't understand how you can have the freedom to ask for the same wait team without waiting.

I'll stick with traditional dining. At least on Carnival, I have that choice (if I book far enough in advance). NCL does not offer that choice, so I choose other cruise lines where possible.

Maybe someone can enlighten me???

Kathy

I dont think there is any enlightening required.

That is your opinion, it is valid and you are entitled to your opinion.

There will always be some of us who like fixed time dining and some who prefer anytime dining.

Pretty much your choice. I'm like you.. I despise waiting to eat at a restaurant. If its more than a few minutes I'll go somewhere else. Why the heck would I want wait for dinner on my vacation? Therefore, I don't do ATD.

For some people, risking waiting for dinner is a fair trade fro the freedom to eat when they please...That is why i like Carnival's solution of offering both.

The main reason I choose My Time Dining is I do not like eating with people I do not know, and, at least in the past, Carnival was not able to guarantee my DH and I would have a two person table at a regular dining time. We have been at four person tables, six person tables, etc. If we show up at 5:45 for MTD, we always get a two person table. Simple as that for us. We are actually toying with calling Carnival and seeing if they can guarantee us a two person table now, can anyone tell me if they are more prevalent now than they were a few years ago?

Edited by GatorGirl57

I had your time dining, had the same waitstaff every day and never waited at all so your miles may vary

I have heard many others say they have very minimal waits for the same waitstaff. some say the wait can be long. it depends on a whole lot of factors.

We loved it.

When I sail with my extended family, we always choose the early dining. There is usually around 20 of us so it is easiest to have a set table at a set time. When it is just DH and I, I do prefer YTD. I like getting ready for dinner at my time. Sometimes, I eat a late lunch and am not hungry at 6 or we were on an excursion and don't want to have to rush getting ready for dinner. It is just personal preference.

The main reason I choose My Time Dining is I do not like eating with people I do not know, and, at least in the past, Carnival was not able to guarantee my DH and I would have a two person table at a regular dining time. We have been at four person tables, six person tables, etc. If we show up at 5:45 for MTD, we always get a two person table. Simple as that for us. We are actually toying with calling Carnival and seeing if they can guarantee us a two person table now, can anyone tell me if they are more prevalent now than they were a few years ago?

with mtd, you will be able to get a 2 person table. no problem

On our recent Fantasy cruise, we were put into Your Time Dining because it was a last-minute cruise and our early dining choice was not available. We thought this was a good time to try what people say is so special. We have never liked it on NCL but never tried it on any other cruise line.

People say they like that they can choose their own dining time. Great. We did not need that choice. We like to eat at the same time every day.

People say if you like your wait team, you can ask for them. That's fine, but there's the problem. Either you, like us, wait in a long line to grab our favorite table or team before someone else, or we get put "wherever." I don't understand how you can have the freedom to ask for the same wait team without waiting.

I'll stick with traditional dining. At least on Carnival, I have that choice (if I book far enough in advance). NCL does not offer that choice, so I choose other cruise lines where possible.

Kathy

It's all a matter of personal preference really. I prefer eating when I want to but can adapt to eating at the assigned dining time, too.

I know that, I am wondering people's experiences with the regular dining, not my time dining.

sorry, I misread it.

With regular dining, I dont think they give out 2 seaters unless there is a specific reason. I was always under the impression that you got assigned to a large table and if, for some reason you wanted to switch it, they possible could switch you to another large table.

I hope you get it. but I have my doubts. maybe someone will post with first hand experience

That has been my experience in the past, so that is a good answer to the OP's question as to why some people would want it.

I have been told in the past (several years ago now) that two seaters in the main dining room for regular dining were saved for people on their honeymoon.

Anyone with first hand experience getting a two person table in the main dining room at early/late seating?

I love YTD. We can work dinners around show times and I honestly don't care to have the same waitstaff or to be seated with a group. I'd actually prefer NOT to be with a group and be forced to make awkward conversation with them through dinner. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our family loves YTD. At home we are on a schedule. We love while on vacation that if we want to swim longer, kids stay at a camp carnival activity longer, stay in port longer, take a nap, or eat a bigger afternoon snack, anytime dinner allows that flexibility. Otherwise we'd be in that same mind set as home" quick kids finish up what your doing we need to get ready for dinner". Or be sitting there waiting for late seating and have everyone snoring at desert with a full late belly.

In all fairness we have never done anything else. So I'm not sure what type of great connections we might be missing out on having that awesome wait staff daily or table mates that become Facebook friends ( that's what CC is for) But I'm not sure everyone can be that lucky to have that always be the case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

sorry, I misread it.

With regular dining, I dont think they give out 2 seaters unless there is a specific reason. I was always under the impression that you got assigned to a large table and if, for some reason you wanted to switch it, they possible could switch you to another large table.

I hope you get it. but I have my doubts. maybe someone will post with first hand experience

When it is just the 2 of us, we always ask for the late seating. On embarkation day, there will be a time that the maitre'd will be stationed at one of the dining rooms. We go and request a table for 2 and have always gotten one.

On our upcoming April cruise there will be 5 of us including our 7 year old GS. We have requested ATD and have been assigned.

I do not see where your confusion lies. You summarized the option well. Is the real title of the thread "I don't like YTD"

No, that's not the case. We really wanted to like it. Some people say you can get the same time, same table (or at least wait staff). I would like to know how that works. (The front desk people in the dining room were far too busy for me to ask.)

Kathy

Actually, I don't need to know WHY people like it. I already know that. I need to know HOW to make it work the way people describe it when they want the same time/same wait staff.

If I want the same staff, I could see waiting LONG times while people finish their leisurely meal.

Can I reserve a table/time? That's what my question is. I am not ranting against Your Time Dining.:)

Kathy

Some people say you can get the same time, same table (or at least wait staff). I would like to know how that works. (The front desk people in the dining room were far too busy for me to ask.)

Kathy

When we got to the hostess station, we were always asked if we wanted the same servers, which we did, and every night we were seated immediately. This was on the Legend.

When we got to the hostess station, we were always asked if we wanted the same servers, which we did, and every night we were seated immediately. This was on the Legend.

Thank you! I guess they were just too busy on the Fantasy. I did not know I could ask, and now I know. We should have been easy to please since we always wanted to eat as soon as they opened, but there was always a long line of others. (And I mean LONG.)

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

When you want something you always need to ask for it.

We only sail with YTD and we always just walk up to the podium and tell the hostess where we want to be seated if we like our wait staff.

It is the same in a restaurant on land.

If you want a window table or a table away from the kitchen door you tell the restaurant what you want.

IF they cannot accommodate the request because the restaurant is too crowded then that is a different story but those who want something need to speak up!

You can always ask for what you want wherever you go!

You may not get it but if you do not ask then you will NEVER get it!

We choose YTD because we're diabetic, but tend to show up for dinner at about the same time each night (usually 6:15 after the rush) -- not on purpose, but that's how it works out.

On our last cruise, we were seated with the same friendly couple three nights in a row, because THEY arrived at about the same time. We were at the same table, with the same waitstaff each night.

Neither couple requested a specific table, companions or staff, it just ended up that way.

Kathy

To each his own. We prefer anytime. We like the ability to choose with whom we dine. We like the flexibility to choose when we dine depending on what we are doing that day. We have rarely had a wait and when we have (I think we've been given pagers twice...once on NCL and once on CCL) it's been less than 15 minutes. We are usually not particular about who are wait staff is. If we find we like we may ask for them again but if their section is busy we have no problem being seated elsewhere. We've only had one time where we asked for a particular waiter that wasn't immediately available (in about 4 times asking). We just sat somewhere else. We like on CCL and on NCL.

If you like to eat at the same time and don't care who they sit you with, then traditional is for you. We prefer going with the flow and dining when we are ready and sitting with just our family, so anytime is for us.

No, that's not the case. We really wanted to like it. Some people say you can get the same time, same table (or at least wait staff). I would like to know how that works. (The front desk people in the dining room were far too busy for me to ask.)

Kathy

But that is exactly who you have to ask.