Hopefully "Live" Noordam 28 Feb - 10 Mar

Mtn2Sea

Have you been to the piano bar to see Barry from Boston? I've heard good things about him, and when I sailed on the Noordam at the end of January I missed him by one cruise. (He was boarding on the same day that I was disembarking.)

Hi,

Thanks for your posts. Could you tell us which veranda cabin you have? We will be in 5170 next week. Just wondered if the damaged window was in our cabin.

Hope you don't pick up the norovirus.

We are not in 5170. They called a few minutes ago & said they have the right size glass and will replace it during one of our excursions.

Have you been to the piano bar to see Barry from Boston? I've heard good things about him, and when I sailed on the Noordam at the end of January I missed him by one cruise. (He was boarding on the same day that I was disembarking.)

Not yet, but we'll get there!

At a little after 9:30, we headed to the Vista Lounge to begin our excursion. Today is a tender day, so we had to get our stickers and meet up with other passengers going on excursions. I’m glad we gave ourselves a few extra minutes because we encountered a long line to get our stickers. Fortunately, the excursion people kept the line moving and we got our sticker right at 9:50, the meeting time listed on our ticket. Our number was called five minutes later for us to go to midship to catch a tender. Samana has appproximately 30,000 people. Here’s a picture I took from the tender.

DSC_0707_zps84929088.jpg

When we got to shore, we were greeted by some dancers.

DSC_0709_zps5fbbcb42.jpg

We quickly got on a very comfortable bus to begin our tour of the area. We stopped briefly in front of this church, which is the oldest in the area. It has survived several fires that destroyed large portions of Samana. The building actually came to the island from Philadelphia (I believe in the 1800’s).

DSC_0710_zps1002a76d.jpg

Our next stop was at a very small museum highlighting the humpback whales in the area. I had thought about a whale viewing excursion, but the reviews weren’t that great, primarily due to rough seas. As it turned out, the waters were pretty calm most of today. Here’s the museum.

DSC_0711_zps8d6b33c3.jpg

Until later.

Our next stop was Taino Park, which showed the history of the Indians in the area. The museum is pretty basic, but does a good job of demonstrating their life and eventual demise.

DSC_0713_zpsa32c4a24.jpg

DSC_0718_zpsf3740743.jpg

DSC_0725_zpsd5e5889f.jpg

DSC_0747_zpsb5ca9bfd.jpg

DSC_0749_zpsdfa072b9.jpg

Our last stop was at a very nice hotel/resort. We sat on a covered porch while we ate pizza. Because it was so late, the pizza tasted good. Our view from the hotel.

DSC_0752_zps19cd9573.jpg

Until later.

At dinner we were given a table near the back of the dining room. Shortly after sitting down, I heard a gentleman ship between me and the back window comment that he had just spotted a whale. In just a moment I spotted the whale blowing air. A few minutes later, I could see the whale’s flipper hitting the water. Shortly thereafter, whale began jumping out of the water. All this made for an interesting dinner. Here’s the menu and pictures of our meal.

DSC_0753_zpsf8e15752.jpg

DSC_0756_zpsf89defbb.jpg

DSC_0761_zpsb3d051a6.jpg

DSC_0764_zps186f38fb.jpg

After dinner, we went to the show. Bernie Fields presented his Harmonica Virtuoso. He was very, very good, as evidenced by the hearty applause he received numerous times during his 40 minute presentation.

DSC_0766_zps3871bddb.jpg

After the show, we stopped at the piano bar with the intention of just staying a few minutes to see what we thought of Barry from Boston. We stayed an hour and a half. Although I thought Jamm who we saw on the Ryndam in December had a better voice, Barry was able to engage the crowd much better. He was funny and very entertaining.

Until later.

We’re at sea all day, which will provide some nice relaxation and time to do some reading. We had room service this morning and ate on the balcony.

DSC_0767_zpsbee3e46a.jpg

Here’s today’s activities and the menu for today’s Mariner’s lunch.

TodayTuesday_zpsba926310.jpg

MenuMariner20140304_07243307_zpsfc346781.jpg

It's now time to read a book.

We’ve had a nice relaxing day at sea. I read my book most the afternoon and DW went to the first Dancing at Sea contest. We had our second formal night. Here’s the menu and photos of our meals. I had the Beef Wellington and DW had the pork.

MenuTuesday20140304_07232609_zps0fdb4339.jpg

CupandBread_zps2b72b203.jpg

DSC_0774_zpsc77202b1.jpg

DSC_0773_zpsc297aae4.jpg

DSC_0777_zpsc8552066.jpg

After dinner, we chose not to go to the show and instead went to the Piano Bar where we stayed until 10:00. We’ll be in Bonaire tomorrow, a new port for us.

We are now docked in Bonaire and the weather is beautiful. We have an excursion that shows the highlights of Bonaire, which leaves at 12:45. We had a light breakfast in the Lido since we’ll need to eat lunch early. Here’s Today’s activities.

TodayWednesday_zps81a7e45b.jpg

Some photos from the ship after we docked.

DSC_0782_zps5244d3cf.jpg

DSC_0783_zps710fd091.jpg

DSC_0780_zps2b0c994b.jpg

Until later.

Main street to the left of the Queen Wilhelmina Square is a great little Gelato shop called Gio's

Thanks for the tip! We're here too. Also thank you for the Dutch breakfast recommendation. I had it yesterday in the Pinnacle.

Main street to the left of the Queen Wilhelmina Square is a great little Gelato shop called Gio's

We saw Gio's from the bus window, but didn't have time to get there.:( Maybe next time! Any tips for Curacao?

We saw Gio's from the bus window, but didn't have time to get there.:( Maybe next time! Any tips for Curacao?

Can't beat having a bite, something liquid and a view at Iguana's, one of the outdoor cafe's on the Punda side of Willemstad (right on the sides of the Anna Baai/Canal adjacent the Queen Emma pontoon bridge)(right in between the Emma Bridge and the Punda little ferry dock) Have a great time!

Edited by Copper10-8

Our tour of Bonaire was a bus ride around the island with three or four stops.

DSC_0787_zpse28b5419.jpg

Our tour guide was a young guy who was quite knowledgeable about his island. Most of the shoreline is rocky, with minimal beaches. Bonaire is known for its diving and snorkeling; however, some of the shoreline has been closed off because it’s too dangerous. We saw numerous people either getting ready to go diving or just coming back from a dive. Our first stop was the Cadushy Distillery, where free samples are given out of a liquor made from cactus.

DSC_0791_zpsf5413654.jpg

On our way to our next stop, we saw an example of an early house.

DSC_0797_zps831accc3.jpg

We also saw several fences made with cactus.

DSC_0798_zpsfe8d8af9.jpg

We next stopped at an observation point, where you can see a large portion of the island. Although the weather was pleasant, it was too hazy to get decent pictures.

DSC_0814_zps7c8c6559.jpg