Allure - Samba vs Chops?

For a special birthday dinner on the Allure, which would folks recommend.....Samba or Chops? We are not steak lovers so that is the problem as both restaurants seem to specialize in beef. Trish

Edited by Help@

For a special birthday dinner on the Allure, which would folks recommend.....Sambo's or Chops? We are not steak lovers so that is the problem as both restaurants seem to specialize in beef. Trish
If you are not steak lovers, why are you focusing on the two beef places? Consider Central Park 150 or Chef's Table. While those have pretty much a fixed menu, they will include a number items in addition to beef. Also consider Giovanni's or Izumi.

Thom

{Wow - I actually beat Bob to the typewriter}

Edited by TravelerThom

For a special birthday dinner on the Allure, which would folks recommend.....Sambo's or Chops? We are not steak lovers so that is the problem as both restaurants seem to specialize in beef. Trish

I'd consider Giovanni's Table also.

If it is only a choice between Chops or Samba, I would choose Chops, you can get other entrees beside steak; fish and chicken. Samba's is a Brazilian steak house and while they have some other meats, it is primarily types of beef.

If you are not steak lovers, why are you focusing on the two beef places? Consider Central Park 150 or Chef's Table. While those have pretty much a fixed menu, they will include a number items in addition to beef. Also consider Giovanni's or Izumi.

Thom

{Wow - I actually beat Bob to the typewriter}

Let me be more honest...the birthday boy is not a steak lover, but his loving companian is. I have read mixed reviews on 150 Central Park but maybe that would be a better choice. Any comments? I'm not into Giovanni's because there is just too much food, although I guess we could just not eat all of it which would be a solution. Trish

Edited by twopats

Giovanni's Table would be my choice...lots of things to choose from and they make it very easy to share dishes and try a variety of tastes. We love it...went twice on our recent Indy cruise. Great ambiance and service, too!:)

Have been to all three restaurants on various ships. I know that food is a very subjective thing, but Central Park 150 might be one of the most disappointing meals I Have ever had on. Cruise ship.....outstanding service and presentation, but just didn't care for the food at all. if you are not a beef person, you might not want to do Samba Grill. On the other hand, have eaten at Giovanni on three different ships, outstanding food, service, and presentation, plus several different choices....again I know that food is very subjective, but just my opinion

Sambo's?

I did a double take when I saw this too.

Reminded me of my first time in Curacao at Christmas time. I went into a KFC and saw pictures of Zwarte Piet decorating the restaurant. I was very shocked until somebody explained who he was. We thought it was Sambo and couldn't believe they would use it.

That's what I thought too. There used to me a restaurant chain called that. I barely remember eating there as a kid, but they declared bankruptcy in the early 80s.

Glad I am not the only one here old enough to remember those restaurants:)

If you are not steak or beef lover's then both of those restaurants would not be the best choice for you.

Consider Izumi (sushi/Japanese fare), 150 Central Park, or Giovanni's Table.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's what I thought too. There used to me a restaurant chain called that. I barely remember eating there as a kid, but they declared bankruptcy in the early 80s.

They started out in Santa Barbara in 1957 and closed down in 1982, except for the original restaurant, which is still open in SB.

Let me be more honest...the birthday boy is not a steak lover, but his loving companian is. I have read mixed reviews on 150 Central Park but maybe that would be a better choice. Any comments? I'm not into Giovanni's because there is just too much food, although I guess we could just not eat all of it which would be a solution. Trish

Giovanni's is as much or little food as you order. I enjoyed 150 Central Park best of the specialty restaurants on Allure (went twice we liked it so much), but it is only a good option if all members of your party are not picky and enjoying trying a variety of foods (it is a tasting menu, so you do not choose items off a menu - but the menu is fixed).

They started out in Santa Barbara in 1957 and closed down in 1982, except for the original restaurant, which is still open in SB.

I remember them, and I sure did a double-take when I read the thread title, lol!