Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

This wasn't on a RC ship, but it was on Carnival Valor. My fiancee and I decided to eat lunch in the MDR. We got sat at a table with four other couples. We were all strangers. Throughout the entire meal, there was conversation going, but as soon as one of us would say something, they would cut us off. These couples were a bit older than us, probably mid 30s to 40s, and talked down to us like we were children. (We are in our mid 20s). One of the couples even went so far to ask how we were able to afford the cruise and that we must have "had mommy and daddy pay for it." I found it to be quite rude. Needless to say, we decided not get to dessert and left as soon as we were done eating.

People are idiots. Once my daughter started working full time she paid her way-even when she worked part time and was in college she paid her on board account expenses.

We did pay her plane fare when we took our Med cruise which was our 30th anniversary celebration. Also, we are paying for her next cruise, but she had major surgery last month and although she has health insurance, she still has to pay out about $3000 in medical bills so we decided to treat her.

My brother in law's (married to my sis) brother goes on a cruise every year and his inlaws pay his way. He's 50 BTW.

so even if your folks paid your way-what does it matter? perhaps that perosn said that becasue her inlaws bought her cruise?

That just brought up a blast from the past. When DH and I were 24 we were shopping for a new car. We had decided on a brand new 1990 Cutlass Supreme. DH learned to bargain from his mother and he was all set to do some negotiating. He made his initial offer (which was low but not that low) and the salesman just walked off and left us there. We ended up going down the street and buying a brand new 1990 Buick Regal off the show room floor. We had that car for 12 years :D....

Back in the day when the Lincoln Continental was introduced, I had a school chum who's dad worked at a Lincoln, Cadillac dealership.

One day an old lady wandered in and started to look around. One salesman asked if he could help her and she said that she was just looking. He walked away and passed the word to the other salesman. They all went the other way.

Friends dad stuck around to answer any questions that she might have. She became interested in a show room Continental and asked many questions about the extras that were available. When she was satisfied, she had made up her mind. She had triplit grandsons graduating from college and she wanted 3 identical Continentals. Same color and loaded. She wrote a check in full payment before she left.

Methinks the other sales people learned a valuable lesson about customer service. :D

I once was in the Main Dining room for lunch on the Westerdam. My wife likes the Lido I like dining room. Anyway to appease me she joined me. They had these awesome Burgers with Jalepeno which I was enjoying when I heard this old bag shreik out behind me. Waiter! Waiter! He came running over and he said "Yes Ma'am" very politely and she said "I didn't order this with mustard on it. He said he would get her another one less the mustard and she said never mind she didn't have time. Really we were at sea for the rest of the day and next so where in God's name was she in a rush for. The waiter departed and didn't even reach his station she yells !! Waiter! Waiter ! Hey Stupid !!!!!!!!!!!! I was enjoying my burger and trying to ignore her and the next thing I know my wife has a menu standing at her table and is screaming at this old bitch threatening to punch her lights out well reading the menu. " Kosher Style Hot Dog with Dijon Mustard Sauce, Cole Slaw and Fries !!!! My dear wife is Native Indian and the very last thing you want to do is upset her and you can trust me on that. She told the lady if you don't apologize to him I am going to punch you in the mouth. I am trying to calm her down and the head waiter was there trying to calm the situation down but my old woman was relentless. The lady said. "well I guess I made a mistake" !!. The waiter said no problem and I made my wife sit down as that was all the old bitch was going to do rather then get us kicked off the ship. Never seen her the first 5 days of the cruise but ran into her and her mutually ignorant husband routinely over the next 5 days. Thank God in my 10 plus cruises I only had to deal with crap like that once. Later that night I told my wife I knew why I married her.

I once was in the Main Dining room for lunch on the Westerdam. My wife likes the Lido I like dining room. Anyway to appease me she joined me. They had these awesome Burgers with Jalepeno which I was enjoying when I heard this old bag shreik out behind me. Waiter! Waiter! He came running over and he said "Yes Ma'am" very politely and she said "I didn't order this with mustard on it. He said he would get her another one less the mustard and she said never mind she didn't have time. Really we were at sea for the rest of the day and next so where in God's name was she in a rush for. The waiter departed and didn't even reach his station she yells !! Waiter! Waiter ! Hey Stupid !!!!!!!!!!!! I was enjoying my burger and trying to ignore her and the next thing I know my wife has a menu standing at her table and is screaming at this old bitch threatening to punch her lights out well reading the menu. " Kosher Style Hot Dog with Dijon Mustard Sauce, Cole Slaw and Fries !!!! My dear wife is Native Indian and the very last thing you want to do is upset her and you can trust me on that. She told the lady if you don't apologize to him I am going to punch you in the mouth. I am trying to calm her down and the head waiter was there trying to calm the situation down but my old woman was relentless. The lady said. "well I guess I made a mistake" !!. The waiter said no problem and I made my wife sit down as that was all the old bitch was going to do rather then get us kicked off the ship. Never seen her the first 5 days of the cruise but ran into her and her mutually ignorant husband routinely over the next 5 days. Thank God in my 10 plus cruises I only had to deal with crap like that once. Later that night I told my wife I knew why I married her.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Threatening another passenger is just wrong, and you are lucky you weren't kicked off the ship as well.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Threatening another passenger is just wrong, and you are lucky you weren't kicked off the ship as well.

I was thinking the same thing.

The other cruiser was ignorant, ... among other things, but didn't threaten violence.

This poster's wife sounds like a loose cannon.

I actually find your wife's behavior just as disgusting as the "bitch". Yours isn't much better by constantly calling her that either. It's not that I'm against using the word but you need to hold up a mirror some time because she and your wife - made from the same cloth. The other woman was uneducated but your wife - well, threatening someone physically, just makes her nasty and a bully.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I got an email from Cruise Critic saying that (username) had replied to my post on "Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?" For the life of me, I cannot find that response. I did advanced search for both my user name the (username) in the email. I browed thru the past few days.

No results. Any one know how to go directly to the post referred to in the email from Cruise Critic???

P.S. this topic must have hit a lot of nerves, the are a bazillion replies!

I was thinking the same thing.

The other cruiser was ignorant, ... among other things, but didn't threaten violence.

This poster's wife sounds like a loose cannon.

..... and someone I would love to meet and hang out with.

Your wife is awesome, I love it when people stick up for those who cannot defend themselves, hats off to her! There is just something special about a strong woman, lucky guy.

Your wife is awesome, I love it when people stick up for those who cannot defend themselves, hats off to her! There is just something special about a strong woman, lucky guy.

Read Martin Luther King, Jr., "Justice Without Violence" to try to understand why threatening violence will not correct this type of situation but only make it worse.

I love it too when others stand up for those who can't, but your definition of a strong woman is definitely not mine.

A really strong woman/person can handle the situation with words, not the threat of, or violence.

I'd have been embarrassed by how this (grown) woman handled this situation.

Edited by WetToes

Read Martin Luther King, Jr., "Justice Without Violence" to try to understand why threatening violence will not correct this type of situation but only make it worse.

Looking at the outcome and results of the action, it did not make things worse. Matter of fact, the actions seemed to have worked well.

Therefore, I would have to conclude that you and MLK JR. to be incorrect.

On a more personal note, having experienced being threatened with violence, I can tell you first hand, it DOES work.

So, you throwing someone overboard (from another thread), and this "strong" woman punching someone in the mouth would work?

Both of these actions would work, ... to get both of you tossed from the cruise.

Would work for me. ;)

So, you throwing someone overboard (from another thread), and this "strong" woman punching someone in the mouth would work?

Both of these actions would work, ... to get both of you tossed from the cruise.

Would work for me. ;)

I'd LMAO to see them taken off in handcuffs.

There is almost too much to post! Screaming children in public places (why don't parents take them back to their cabins?) Not waiting your turn (I think there are several countries/populations which do not recognize our unspoken "first come first served" rule. Sending someone up to the pools early in the morning to throw towels down on prime chaise lounges (there needs to be a 1/2 hour rule, no occupancy for 1/2 hour and the attendants can take the towels and/or belongings inside where they can be reclaimed. Cigar smoking on balconies--or just smoking on the balcony when the cruise line specifically forbids it. In reference to the folks that took too much food, didn't eat it because it was terrible--when it comes to desserts on ALL the cruise lines I've sailed, I much agrees, they are terrible!!! (but I don't even try many any more, after 20 years of cruising I have decided that desserts are just never going to be, we a few rare exceptions, any good!).

Sometime pretty words do not cut it, you have to get their attention first, I speak as some one who had a deranged employee pull a box cutter out and tried to do me harm.

Also I speak as someone who has worked in the service industry and seen and heard and experienced the abuse service workers must endure in order to keep their jobs from Mr and Mrs. Entitlement Minded Public, just refreshing to see someone stand up for the little person.

Sometime pretty words do not cut it, you have to get their attention first, I speak as some one who had a deranged employee pull a box cutter out and tried to do me harm.

Also I speak as someone who has worked in the service industry and seen and heard and experienced the abuse service workers must endure in order to keep their jobs from Mr and Mrs. Entitlement Minded Public, just refreshing to see someone stand up for the little person.

enraged/crazy box cutter carrying person vs loud rude old lady - of course, I see the similarity. Who wouldn't see that? [these two things are not the same except maybe in some minds]

now, if the rude old lady [and I bet I know what she looked like] tried to take someone down with her fork and her butter knife - rush her, throw her off the ship...feed her to the sharks.

Maybe its okay to speak in your inside voice to someone who is being rude, but to act like a ninja puts you at that level or below. And who knows the butter knife wielding gray haired lady might be able to take down the mouthy pirate wench - we don't know....and I certainly hope neither of them or their ken are on my ship.

What does a deranged employee with a box cutter have to do with a rude passenger threatening physical assault against another rude passenger? Apples to oranges.

... refreshing to see someone stand up for the little person.

I don't think anyone has a problem with someone "standing up ... ".

You can stand up for someone without coming off like an idiot and a bully yourself.

Threatening to punch this 'lady' in the mouth. That's the way to go? Really?

That is something I may have said, and maybe even done, when I was young and stupid, but then, ... I grew up. A grown up, in their right mind, would not.

A few well chosen words to this 'lady' would have worked just fine. She would have backed down, felt like a fool, and been put in her place.

Edited by WetToes

I don't think anyone has a problem with someone "standing up ... ".

You can stand up for someone without coming off like an idiot and a bully yourself.

Threatening to punch this 'lady' in the mouth. That's the way to go? Really?

That is something I may have said, and maybe even done, when I was young and stupid, but then, ... I grew up. A grown up, in their right mind, would not.

A few well chosen words to this 'lady' would have worked just fine. She would have backed down, felt like a fool, and been put in her place.

Exactly. I was a passenger in a cab that was involved in an accident that was totally the fault of the other vehicle. The other vehicle first tried to flee, and when stopped by other witnesses, she started hurling terrible racial slurs at the driver of the taxi. I got out, walked up to her, and quietly suggested she shut her mouth or I would own the BMW she was driving and that she'd be cleaning my toilets for the rest of her life to pay for the pain and suffering lawsuit I was about to file against her. No threat of physical violence was needed, no yelling was needed, just a reality check. A few seconds later, she sat down on the curb as I suggested with her jaw hanging rather slack.

I love it too when others stand up for those who can't, but your definition of a strong woman is definitely not mine.

A really strong woman/person can handle the situation with words, not the threat of, or violence.

I'd have been embarrassed by how this (grown) woman handled this situation.

I agree. I may possibly have felt compelled to point out to the woman that the item said it came with mustard, but I would have left it at that. Surely that would have embarrassed her enough that she was overheard and others found her conduct uncouth. If she was that thick skinned not to be embarrassed, then how would threatening violence help? Except to make me l look as though I 'm more uncouth. BTW I have both Cherokee and Choctaw in me- and I feel this man has in a way insulted all of us who are native American or as Canadians say First Nation, even though he seems to think he was complimenting us.

As we all know, two wrongs do not make a right. We also know if you "kill a person with kindness" you get better results. Many times I have seen a crew person (or a sales person in a place of business) answer such a person with superior politeness and I could see the obnoxious person was embarrassed as they knew they had behaved poorly. Some of the more experienced crew/people who deal with the public daily have that down to a science too! They are so polite no one cannot criticize what they have said but the obnoxious person knows they have been put in their place.

When I see them answer in such a way, I always like to indicate to them know how proud I am of how they handled a sticky situation. So before I would say anything at all I would let the person they insulted handle them, as they may not appreciate my butting in if they are capable of handling the situation. If not, then I may feel I should say something, or better yet, alert the mat'rd and let HIM handle it as I know he/she is usually experienced/capable of putting the person in their place.

BTW just because it is a sea day does not mean a person has not booked something like a wine tasting or a massage. Of course, that does not give them a reason to act ugly. If they have had sense they would have eaten in the lido and not tried to to put too many things into too little a space of time. I am just pointing out there are things scheduled on sea days and often you have put down money that you lose if you are a no show.