Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

I was meaning more the tables for two, where one of the couple has bagged a table whilst the other gets the food. I don't expect a group of four or more to pass up on a suitable table as they can often be at a premium. I just don't see why my opinion is so unusual - surely it's bad manners to hog a table that somebody else needs as they have food and you don't?

I guess that is a new one to me. I never would have considered doing this as rude. I pride myself on my manners and I must admit that my friend and I did this consistently on our trip to Alaska. I am going to have to view my behaviour in a new light.

I guess that is a new one to me. I never would have considered doing this as rude.

Me neither. I get annoyed with book readers who aren't eating, but holding a table for family and friends is within proper etiquette if for no other reason than knowing where to meet once everyone gets their tray.

Burt

I was meaning more the tables for two, where one of the couple has bagged a table whilst the other gets the food. I don't expect a group of four or more to pass up on a suitable table as they can often be at a premium. I just don't see why my opinion is so unusual - surely it's bad manners to hog a table that somebody else needs as they have food and you don't?

I personally don't like walking around carrying my hot, soon to be cold, food looking for a table. DH and I look for a table first when the buffet is busy, then one of us goes to get their food, knowing they'll get to eat it while it's still hot. I feel tables for 2 can be at just as much of a premium as larger tables. If someone with food will be arriving quite soon, I don't feel it is hogging a table. We are also very quick to leave our table once we're done eating (no lingering discussing the plans for the next round of activities), and stack our dirty dishes neatly and wipe away the crumbs so if someone wanted to snag our table right away it wouldn't look too gross and dirty. Just my way of doing things, and I never feel I am being rude or doing something wrong, quite the contrary.

I personally don't like walking around carrying my hot, soon to be cold, food looking for a table. DH and I look for a table first when the buffet is busy, then one of us goes to get their food, knowing they'll get to eat it while it's still hot. I feel tables for 2 can be at just as much of a premium as larger tables. If someone with food will be arriving quite soon, I don't feel it is hogging a table. We are also very quick to leave our table once we're done eating (no lingering discussing the plans for the next round of activities), and stack our dirty dishes neatly and wipe away the crumbs so if someone wanted to snag our table right away it wouldn't look too gross and dirty. Just my way of doing things, and I never feel I am being rude or doing something wrong, quite the contrary.

I don't have a problem with what you do, we may have done it a time or two, if the area is very crowded.

We also don't linger. Eat and run pretty much.

We also leave our table with the dishes stacked and any mess wiped up. There was a thread about doing that (stacking), some people said 'no way in h$#@ would I clean up the table, I'm on vacation, I paid for someone to do that, I'm too good for that, blah, blah, blah'.:rolleyes:

We also leave our table with the dishes stacked and any mess wiped up. There was a thread about doing that (stacking), some people said 'no way in h$#@ would I clean up the table, I'm on vacation, I paid for someone to do that, I'm too good for that, blah, blah, blah'.:rolleyes:

While I admit this comes under good manners, is not stacking the dishes on a cruise considered bad etiquette?:confused:

Burt

While I admit this comes under good manners, is not stacking the dishes on a cruise considered bad etiquette?:confused:

Burt

Is it? I don't know. I'll continue to do it.

It's done more for the next diners, not so much for the staff.

We always stack and leave the dishes to one side (usually the empty place at the table if there is one) yes it is easier for the server to collect them all in one place and not have to reach over or walk all around the table.) We do this even at land based restaurants. The servers always seem very appreciative of the gesture

But also , I hate dirty dishes in front of me .

Yes a few minutes ago it was my dinner, and its "My dirt". But still.

Don't see what the big deal is.

We'll do this on embarkment day so instead of both of us trying to go though the line with our carry on bags at the same time and risking one of us to spill our food or tripping up someone with our bags. Also I'll find us a table when we do go through the line because hubby will go get himself a salad so instead of standing there waiting and being in the way I'll go get us a table.

This leads to my other pet peeve, people who just stand around chatting while other people are trying to get through. Not just on Lido deck but all over the ship.

I see all kinds of rude behavior at work, and my story isn't from a cruise line but at a restaurant in a tourist area here in Orlando. We were dining on the outside patio of this restaurant, and although there was a hostess stand for seating at all tables, the patio was pretty easily accessed by bypassing the hostess stand. There was a couple at a table next to us, who had both gotten up to, I assume, use the restrooms at the same time, but their drinks, etc, were still at the table so it was clear it was occupied. A family strolled in, without being seated by the hostess, sat down at a table that had just recently been vacated (the table had not been cleared yet), proceeded to move all the dirty dishes on to the couple's table before they returned, and then started eating the leftover bread that was in the basket on the table. Our waiter returned and was just dumbfounded at this behavior, and told them they needed to leave immediately or he would call security.

Now tell me, why on earth would you eat food left behind by total strangers? EWWWWWW

Burt

That's what I learned, but the "official" reason for it is not very clear to me (Google isn't helping much either). It does seem like a nice gesture to the crew at least. Then again, if I would start stacking the dishes, I would be forcing table mates to take part in that procedure, too. It also feels like helping a painter by taking one of his brushes and doing an "easy part" yourself, disregarding the way he, the professional, would have painted it.

So personally, I only "help" the crew if space doesn't really allow them to do it the "official" way. For example, when I'm sitting with my back almost touching the wall and pouring wine from the right side would become a circus act I "break the law". Otherwise, I think waiters won't value the small advantage of pre-stacked plates more than performing the play like it's supposed to be played. :) (The best part of the play would be tipping)

Edited by AmazedByCruising
+tipping

That's what I learned, but the "official" reason for it is not very clear to me (Google isn't helping much either). It does seem like a nice gesture to the crew at least. Then again, if I would start stacking the dishes, I would be forcing table mates to take part in that procedure, too. It also feels like helping a painter by taking one of his brushes and doing an "easy part" yourself, disregarding the way he, the professional, would have painted it.

So personally, I only "help" the crew if space doesn't really allow them to do it the "official" way. For example, when I'm sitting with my back almost touching the wall and pouring wine from the right side would become a circus act I "break the law". Otherwise, I think waiters won't value the small advantage of pre-stacked plates more than performing the play like it's supposed to be played. :) (The best part of the play would be tipping)

I don't do it to "help" the crew.

I don't know why you feel like you'd be "forcing" anyone to do anything. ?

I don't do it to "help" the crew.

I'm sorry, that's what I thought the stacking was for.

I don't know why you feel like you'd be "forcing" anyone to do anything. ?

If a table mate starts stacking plates I feel compelled to at least hand over my plate as well. It would be very awkward to just ignore the fact that the whole table suddenly changed from "having dinner" to "cleaning up" mode.

If you have a group of 4 or more, you can't fit at the tables for two. A couple gets their food at the same time rather than taking turns. So now it's ok that they have their food, and now must search for a table? I'll be sure to grab a bowl of fruit on the way in and sit and eat it while dh goes to get his food.

This is a complete bug bear of mine. Every time we cruise with Australians, as we did on a recent South East Asian cruise on Princess, they are lining up to have the tips taken off their ship board account. They will blatantly tell you that that is what they intend to do "because we don't tip in our Country". It doesn't matter to them when you tell them that the ships pay the staff a pittance, and the daily gratuity actually pays the wages! On a recent trip around Cuba, the Australians on board intended to tip the room steward - and no one else! Good luck eating, drinking and getting anyway if it was all down to the room stewards. If any Australian is reading this then I would give you this message - like it or not ... its the way it is. We would all prefer the tips were included in the price (as they are on Sun Princess in Australia), but the aren't. If you can afford to cruise in foreign climes ... you can afford to pay the tips, like the rest of us! Rant over

Ummmm, you need to read the post. It's not a big deal in this discussion.

Burt

Ummmmmm I did read the post

Someone did mention there are people who would say "No way in hell would they do it"

That's what my comment was made for . Some people are making mountains out of mole hills here. Should I do it ? Shouldn't I do it ? Is it proper etiquette to do it? Is it a breach of etiquette not to do it? What if a table mate starts doing it? Do I have to do it? So yeah some people are making a big deal out of it.

It's moving a couple dishes a foot over across a table for crying out loud

Edited by babyher

If you have a group of 4 or more, you can't fit at the tables for two. A couple gets their food at the same time rather than taking turns. So now it's ok that they have their food, and now must search for a table? I'll be sure to grab a bowl of fruit on the way in and sit and eat it while dh goes to get his food.

Of course not. If you'd have read my initial post on this thread you'll have realised that one of my peeves is me and my wife getting food at the buffet and then not being able to find a table thanks to people 'holding' tables for others.

Christ alive, I wish I'd never mentioned this now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Christ alive, I wish I'd never mentioned this now!

Probably 95% of passengers have at one time or another saved a table for the intention of eating there with another person or group. So finding a sympathetic reader may be difficult.

Saving a table is a logical action to keeping the group together in an efficient manner. While it could be argued that the couple minutes the table is clear of food is wasted for someone else ready to sit and eat, it is also reasonable to consider that saving a table may actually save time overall because each member of the group isn’t wasting time wandering around to find their table mate or group. In fact, saving tables my actually speed up time the table is being used by each group.

And sadly, the fast food mentality has caught up with the cheaper cruise lines, so eating and moving on to the next activity has replaced the relaxing beginning of the day with a pleasant meal while socializing with family and friends. It is for that reason Sally and I eat breakfast more often on our balcony and in the MDR. Still, the breakfast and lunch service in the MDR has been cut back so much that we have had more bad experiences than good the past couple of years.

Yes, I know what some of you folks are thinking, if I want to get better than cattle hauler style service, I need to pay more for the better cruise line. I’ve been saying that for a few years, but I think Sally is finally starting to agree.

Burt

I'm not sure how rude this was or if it was just funny but on a Caribbean cruise we were sitting on the edge of the pool chatting with another couple as we watched Princess Bride on MUTS. About half way through it there was a booming voice behind us acting out every word being said on the screen. They young guy was a total Princess Bride zealot. He knew every word and repeated them or all to hear in perfect accents. We all started chuckling at this at the same time. If I hadn't seen Princess Bride about a dozen times it would have been very rude but it actually was kind of funny. The lady we were talking to said he was going to go home and hug her son-in-law (it could have been worse).

When the movie was over he ran over to one of the pool attendants and you could tell he was trying to find out if they were going to show it again. He wanted to be there from the very beginning I guess to entertain the crowd.