Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

I'm with you on everything but this. The pools are not large enough for staking out an area, other than to stand in.

The people probably weren't aware that they were in 'your' lane.

I'm specifically talking about odd hours when the majority are off ship, sleeping, or dining. I adjust my schedule for the opportunity to exercise in the pool. I wouldn't presume to be able to swim at 3PM on a Caribbean cruise. This is about when there might be one or two other people in the pool. I'll swim around them or move. Then they'll move and block the lane. In essence, acting as if it was "their" pool. It's bizzare and happened to me several time. I have no problem making way for other lap swimmers and simply wish that people would extend the same courtesy to me when there is plenty of open real estate in the pool.

Lama Out

Serenade, Grandeur, Allure, Jewel

Next: Freedom

In my 20 years of cruising, I've never watched the hairy chest contest because for me it just sounds boring, but my lovely wife Sally thinks they are fun.

I think the poster was really expressing a pet peeve, not rude behavior. But she does raise the point about bringing babies on board. Twenty years ago when cruising was more of an elegant getaway, bringing a baby would be strange. Back then elegance came at a cost, so families generally waited until the kids were at an age they could enjoy the experience. Todays cruising is more of a family vacation, so I can understand that reasoning.

I personally have two minds of babies cruising, on one hand I'm glad families are taking time to be together. On the other, I can't see how cruising is enjoyable for the baby or the family. But, if they are willing to try, so am I.

Burt

IMHO, both were wrong. I think that you go to the WJ without a bunch of personal effects, you walk in, get in line, get your food, then find any empty table, sit down, then eat.

IOWs, you don't "save" tables int the WJ. Suppose a bunch of people put their wrapped silverware/napkins on "their tables", found a "better table" or saw friends of family at another table, and decided to eat at another table leaving their "saved table" there for some time.

I disagree that 4 of us should have to walk around with our food looking for a table. I see nothing wrong with setting down silverware and small personal effects on a table and then going to get food. If you have a larger party you could be walking around a long time while your food gets cold while you try to find a table. If that's supposed to be the accepted procedure then you have our apologies and we'll go eat our food elsewhere.

I'm curious if anyone else agrees with me on this.

Plenty of times we've been seated by WJ staff. We put our silverware down and go get food while they are getting us drinks.

I do have a problem with the people that would then abandon a table and leave their stuff because they found a better one.

Lama Out

IMHO, I think it is the beauty (and the beast, if you will) of cruising that it has become affordable enough for people from all walks of life to be able to enjoy. This often means that while most people will be agreeable, there will always be rude ones, just like everywhere else. I have seen the chogs, the line cutters, and the rude commenters. However, it's a vacation, and I view it as such. I try to ignore the idiots and enjoy myself (not that I'm above making a snide or loud comment about someone's rude behavior :D). My 3 boys all know they will face the wrath of mom for any rude or unacceptable behavior on their part, and even the 8 year old holds doors for others.

Beautiful. Thank you.

As a short person, I hate it when tall people stand in front of me when they could let me be in front and just look over my head. :rolleyes:

If I hadn't already noticed someone trying to see around me and let them in front I would do so if asked. Muscling is pushing your way to the front without so much as a "may I please go in front of you so I can see"or even an "excuse me". Even if I don't speak your language I can figure out that you are shorter or need to sit or whatever. I'd be happy to accommodate you.

Some behavior that appears to be rude or thoughtless is the result of what I would call Caribbean Narcosis or, in broader terms, Vacation Narcosis. People are relaxed, daydreaming, or whatever. Or they just had a massage or something. I'm sure I've been a perp at one time or another. Most people (I hope) are decent and accommodating.

The behaviors I'm talking about in my original post appear conscious and willful.

Lama Out

I disagree that 4 of us should have to walk around with our food looking for a table. I see nothing wrong with setting down silverware and small personal effects on a table and then going to get food. If you have a larger party you could be walking around a long time while your food gets cold while you try to find a table. If that's supposed to be the accepted procedure then you have our apologies and we'll go eat our food elsewhere.

Plenty of times we've been seated by WJ staff. We put our silverware down and go get food while they are getting us drinks.

I do have a problem with the people that would then abandon a table and leave their stuff because they found a better one.

Lama Out

I don't see anything wrong with you putting your items on a table while you get your meal.

It's not as if you're chairhogging like is done at the pool. That is, laying your items down very early in the day, before the buffet even opens.

Carry on! ;)

Lama Out

If I hadn't already noticed someone trying to see around me and let them in front I would do so if asked. Muscling is pushing your way to the front without so much as a "may I please go in front of you so I can see"or even an "excuse me". Even if I don't speak your language I can figure out that you are shorter or need to sit or whatever. I'd be happy to accommodate you.

Some behavior that appears to be rude or thoughtless is the result of what I would call Caribbean Narcosis or, in broader terms, Vacation Narcosis. People are relaxed, daydreaming, or whatever. Or they just had a massage or something. I'm sure I've been a perp at one time or another. Most people (I hope) are decent and accommodating.

The behaviors I'm talking about in my original post appear conscious and willful.

Lama Out

I'm 5'9". I have no problem letting shorter people in front of me for a better view ... if they are polite about it. Sometimes I offer without being asked.

;)

I also let a woman stand in front of me on the GOS last year who wanted to record the aerial show. No problem. My DH was also recording it to watch later.

Edited by WetToes

The hairy chest 'contests' are not advertised as an 'adult only' activity, so how are you to know to remove your kids? :confused:

I've only watched one or two of these. That was enough for me. Lame. I also have never seen over the top behavior , but I have seen some suggestive moves.

I also don't doubt the previous poster about what they may have seen. When alcohol is involved you just never know what's going to happen.

These are FAMILY cruises and the 'entertainment' should be viewable by all, unless advertised differently.

There is a family comedy show, and an adult comedy show. We know this because we are told. ;)

Pretty simple, if you see something you don't want your kids to see, remove them. Of course, that can cover a whole lot of behavior on the Lido deck.

Pretty simple, if you see something you don't want your kids to see, remove them. Of course, that can cover a whole lot of behavior on the Lido deck.

but kids love the pool. so my thinking is, instead of removing them, go on a family friendly cruise line that does not do "R" rated things by the pool. that way they are not punished by not being allowed to have fun.

Before anyone "corrects" me, I know they do have a kiddie pool, but 12 years olds are too large for the kiddie pool and they want to be at the pool. That age is whom I would not want seeing it, as nothing would really register about it with a 4 year old.

This wasn't on a RC ship, but it was on Carnival Valor. My fiancee and I decided to eat lunch in the MDR. We got sat at a table with four other couples. We were all strangers. Throughout the entire meal, there was conversation going, but as soon as one of us would say something, they would cut us off. These couples were a bit older than us, probably mid 30s to 40s, and talked down to us like we were children. (We are in our mid 20s). One of the couples even went so far to ask how we were able to afford the cruise and that we must have "had mommy and daddy pay for it." I found it to be quite rude. Needless to say, we decided not get to dessert and left as soon as we were done eating.

This wasn't on a RC ship, but it was on Carnival Valor. My fiancee and I decided to eat lunch in the MDR. We got sat at a table with four other couples. We were all strangers. Throughout the entire meal, there was conversation going, but as soon as one of us would say something, they would cut us off. These couples were a bit older than us, probably mid 30s to 40s, and talked down to us like we were children. (We are in our mid 20s). One of the couples even went so far to ask how we were able to afford the cruise and that we must have "had mommy and daddy pay for it." I found it to be quite rude. Needless to say, we decided not get to dessert and left as soon as we were done eating.

That was rude. I'd have said something about them being jealous ... of your age, and the fact that you could afford a SUITE on the ship. ;)

One of the couples even went so far to ask how we were able to afford the cruise and that we must have "had mommy and daddy pay for it." I found it to be quite rude. Needless to say, we decided not get to dessert and left as soon as we were done eating.

I love people like this.

You should have told them that you had to make sacrifices this year to do the cruise.

Instead of buying a new Bentley or Rolls Royce you had to go with a Lexus instead.

Not just passengers, crews officers and servers need additional training about how to treat Special guests. For example;

The ship kept hitting those bumps in the water when we were getting some shut eye. The Captain should have steered into the wave troughs during sleep then got back on course when we were awake. We let corporate know that for next time. Simple retraining.

Food service came without a server and assistant to the suite. They must send the linen and silver serving, then the servers with a runner to keep food hot and served one course at a time. They even came without a crumb remover, seriously.

Is this serious or a joke?

The hairy chest 'contests' are not advertised as an 'adult only' activity, so how are you to know to remove your kids? :confused:

I've only watched one or two of these. That was enough for me. Lame. I also have never seen over the top behavior , but I have seen some suggestive moves.

I also don't doubt the previous poster about what they may have seen. When alcohol is involved you just never know what's going to happen.

These are FAMILY cruises and the 'entertainment' should be viewable by all, unless advertised differently.

There is a family comedy show, and an adult comedy show. We know this because we are told. ;)

I don't think this type of cruise organized activity is what the OP was referring to, but it's an interesting point, for sure. I think the hairy chest contest (hereafter HCC) is quite harmless and generally very much a 'G' rated event. Whether its lame or not is a personal interpretation and can apply to anything on a cruise (Game Show, bingo, etc.). Sometimes however, things are fun BECAUSE they are so lame/corny, and because we don't typically do them in our 'real life' back at home. Anyway, the HCC seems to me to be quite innocent fun. It's not like the contestants are Chippendale Dancers or something. Even 'suggestive moves' are not so intense. What about when the waiters are dancing in the MDR? Aren't their moves somewhat suggestive at times? Does one then just order room service to ensure the kid is not going to be exposed to anything? I do think that a parent should use common sense in that if they have any doubts at all about the HCC, then just don't bring their kids there. They shouldn't have to be handheld and told that by the cruise line. Easy enough, as there are many other things the kids can enjoy on the ship. But I have to add that if the parents are so concerned over the appropriateness of the HCC, they probably shouldn't even bring their kids on a cruise, as the kid will be subjected to seeing a lot worse behavior by means of drunken party cruisers. Additionally, their kids are exposed to a LOT worse at a typical day at school with their classmates at home than at a HCC. A parent may choose to be in denial of this, but the things that comes out of little Johnny's mouth when he's hanging with his school chums is far worse than any lame 'suggestive move' at a HCC.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Lama Out

If the buffet is crowded, one person will sit at the table until the other(s) have gotten food then go for their own. That's the only way to guarantee the table will still be available when you're ready for it. I sometimes eat breakfast alone (DH is a late riser) and have problems if I get up for another cup of tea only to come back to find my food gone and the table cleared.

One of the couples even went so far to ask how we were able to afford the cruise and that we must have "had mommy and daddy pay for it." I found it to be quite rude.

Try this response: Yup, some people have mommy and daddy pay for their cruise...others pay for their cruise by suing their plastic surgeon.:rolleyes:

Practically run me over with their scooter / power chair, like just because they have one, I'm supposed to automatically jump out of their way.

A woman in a double-wide scooter intentionally ran into people on our cruise last March. She actually thought it was really funny and she did it to many passengers. Some of our friends said they were in the disco one evening and she went onto the floor with her scooter and began ramming into people until many called it a night and left.

Chairs hogs at the entertainment venues. I hate it when people saves spots for others and then give you a dirty look as if to say "don't even think of parking your butt here." It's even worse when the saving is for a larger group.

Related to this.... When you are all there at an entertainment venue in the chairs you want, and someone arrives right before showtime and asks you to move because there is one empty seat next to your group. So this person expects a group of four to vacate their seats so that their group of five can sit in prime seats? No way!

If a person were to deliberately ram me with a scooter, I would file assault charges and demand that he or she be restricted to the cabin and removed at the next port.

Edited by Laurie S.

A similar thing happened to a buddy of mine. He went to look at a BMW and when the salesman asked h what he did for a living and told him that he was a teacher,the salesman rolled his eyes and told him that he would show him a less expensive model. My friend said to the salesman that his wife really wanted this model and with being such a busy neurosurgeon and all she didn't have the time to shop. He then walked out of the showroom with salesman following behind him trying to upsell him. (BTW his wife is also a teacher)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

A similar thing happened to a buddy of mine. He went to look at a BMW and when the salesman asked h what he did for a living and told him that he was a teacher,the salesman rolled his eyes and told him that he would show him a less expensive model. My friend said to the salesman that his wife really wanted this model and with being such a busy neurosurgeon and all she didn't have the time to shop. He then walked out of the showroom with salesman following behind him trying to upsell him. (BTW his wife is also a teacher)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That just brought up a blast from the past. When DH and I were 24 we were shopping for a new car. We had decided on a brand new 1990 Cutlass Supreme. DH learned to bargain from his mother and he was all set to do some negotiating. He made his initial offer (which was low but not that low) and the salesman just walked off and left us there. We ended up going down the street and buying a brand new 1990 Buick Regal off the show room floor. We had that car for 12 years :D....

Edited by Warm Breezes

A woman in a double-wide scooter intentionally ran into people on our cruise last March. She actually thought it was really funny and she did it to many passengers. Some of our friends said they were in the disco one evening and she went onto the floor with her scooter and began ramming into people until many called it a night and left.

Someone should have called security, on the spot. That nonsense would have stopped! :mad: