Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

You mean that people get wet when they are in the pool?:rolleyes:

Not everyone who gets into the pool just to cool off a bit wants to be splashed in the face by a stranger or get their hair wet. :rolleyes:

OTOH, if I want to do that I don't do it if there are a bunch of juveniles (of whatever age) already in the pool horsing around.

Edited by mom says

Not everyone who gets into the pool just to cool off a bit wants to be splashed in the face by a stranger or get their hair wet. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess I can't relate to that since I don't have any hair!:rolleyes:

OTOH, if I want to do that I don't do it if there are a bunch of juveniles (of whatever age) already in the pool horsing around.

I never liked getting splashed in the face-getting water in the eyes is uncomfortable and unpleasant. However, that is usually kids who do the splashing so I solve that by using the adults' only pool.

Now as far as the fellow with no hair, well I still have hair, but it is crappy hair, so getting it wet really isn't going to make it nay worse lol!

I never liked getting splashed in the face-getting water in the eyes is uncomfortable and unpleasant. However, that is usually kids who do the splashing so I solve that by using the adults' only pool.

Now as far as the fellow with no hair, well I still have hair, but it is crappy hair, so getting it wet really isn't going to make it nay worse lol!

That is not as bad as slipping by pool and falling plus get laughed at by a bunch of kids in the pool. :)

That is not as bad as slipping by pool and falling plus get laughed at by a bunch of kids in the pool. :)

Have always wondered why the ship builders don't put down a more slip-resistant surface? On a moving ship with a wet deck, an accident is bound to happen.....

The most frustrating is when adults bring children to the adults only pool. When my wife mentioned something the mothrr told her that the other pool was too crowded so whats the big deal. A half hour later there were 6 other children with diapers in the adult only pool

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

We just returned from a week on the Jewel. The second to the last night on the ship, the people in the next stateroom partied ALL NIGHT LONG. I kept waiting for them to settle down, turn the music off and go to sleep. No such luck! As the sun was coming up I went out on our balcony and they were sitting on their balcony. I stuck my head around and explained to them nicely (NOT) that I didn't appreciate their yelling and singing all night. They blew me off, not too surprising. I should have called security or whoever on the ship handles this type of situation but I jus kept thinking they should pass out at any minute. I won't make that mistake again.

People splashing other people in the pool

Not everyone who gets into the pool just to cool off a bit wants to be splashed in the face by a stranger or get their hair wet.

I love cruising but I can't swim and am frightened of water (!); however, if it is really very hot I would be prepared to go into the pool (with DH by my side) provided there was no one in who was splashing about. I only have to get a little water on my face and I can feel the fear rising rapidly. I know I'm being totally irrational, but that's how it is, so I can empathise with the poster.

Lol! I was replying to the person who thought getting wet in the pool by being splashed was no big deal. That is not the worst thing that has ever happened to me on or off ship.

I fell on my butt in the bathroom once. It was embarkation day and someone had spilled a sugary foo-foo drink. Now why in the heck they took it in the bathroom is beyond me-yuk!

I also had the a heavy glass door slam on the back of my foot and it cut open my heel on a cruise ship. I certainly think the design of sliding glass doors on the lido deck are better as it was a heavy wind that caused that to happen. That was a bad design for a cruiseship.

Both of those situations were no fun and I was in pain for a while after the cruise, but by far I consider being rudely treated by other PAX and sometimes crew much worse. As far as which situation was worse, lol! I try not to remember them and usually only do when I read where someone else had a similar experience. Over all I still enjoyed all my cruises, even the ones on Carnival and NCL, although I did not care for those lines as much as others and really would not prefer to cruise with those lines again. Now that the novelty of cruising has worn off for me, I prefer to do a little nicer ship less often than more often on ships or lines that are not as enjoyable for me.

Not everyone who gets into the pool just to cool off a bit wants to be splashed in the face by a stranger or get their hair wet.

I love cruising but I can't swim and am frightened of water (!);

My mother could not swim either, she was just obeying her Victorian mother, a school teacher yet.

Her orders were simple. 'Don't go into the water 'til you can swim!!!

john

We were on a sailing from Puerto Rico on the Serenade. There was one young man (around 11 years old). His dress and actions told you he would be trouble at some point in the sailing sure enough, he and his family were on shore the second port we visited, with all their suitcases and bags. When someone asked what happened to them it was explained that the young man deliberately through a basketball in the ocean after being warned several times about his behavior so the whole family was told to get off at the next port and find their own way home. Perhaps the parents will deal with this young man before he becomes an adult and he won't be a problem again.

Sharon I

I also can't figure out how so many women leave the rest rooms without washing their hands when they know that's not acceptable. REALLY!!!

If we (DH and I) were not having any luck finding a seat. I would have no trouble parking myself at their table.

I might ask "Are you alone"? If they answer yes. We're sharing, like it or not.

It seems kind of silly hearing people complain about tables not available - especially this one about singles. I went on my first cruise alone and had no problems at all finding a seat, even when the buffet was full. I simply asked "can I join you?" and the answer was always "yes" or "be my guest" or (worst case) "somebody's sitting there, but you can sit here". Nobody would say no unless they have a reason ("our friends are joining us", etc.)

Sure, if you're looking for your own table there's gonna be a problem. But if you're willing to sit with others, even a busy meal time can be quite pleasant. Just ask.

I've been a single cruiser on several cruises, so I can relate. However, when it's lunchtime and there are a lot of people looking for tables where they can eat in a designated eating area, it's plain rude and selfish for anyone to be sitting at a table reading and not eating. I have seen that several times. The worst was a woman sitting at a table where eight people could have sat. She was not eating, she sat there reading, and I saw her do it every day.

She was probably reading because she felt awkward eating alone, and probably sitting at an 8-person table hoping somebody would join her. I don't suppose you ever asked her if you could join her?

I spend a lot of time alone, and I'm very shy. I often read to distract myself and sometimes it works too well. But if I've got a table to myself, and somebody asks to use the empty seats, I will happily say yes.

She wasn't eating on any of the days that I saw her. She plunked herself down at a large table to read, not eat. Why would I want to join her, even if I were were eating? Sorry, not interested.

Now I really don't understand. Wasn't it your complaint that it was busy and she was occupying a table? In which case, there are other seats at that table that somebody that needs a table can occupy. That's a reason why you, or somebody else looking for a seat, might want to join her. My point is that her sitting there and reading was occupying 1 seat, not a whole table. There is nothing at all preventing others from using that table if they only have enough manners to ask.

And if there are other tables to sit at, than why do you care that was reading and not eating?

It was rude because she was sitting at a table for eight each day when there were smaller tables available. And, to repeat, she was not eating, but was occupying a large table in the buffet area where people who did want to eat couldn't find tables for a larger group. Personally, I have no desire to eat with strangers and will go elsewhere, usually outside, to find a place to eat.

My guess is that she's travelling with a large group and grabbed a big table thinking the others would be coming along. I've probably done that myself, fully aware that others might ask to join me. And i would have been fine with that -- I enjoy chatting with strangers and making new friends.

I'm a solo cruiser who wouldn't mind sharing a table in crowded conditions but, I might be reading while eating. Hopefully, I'd be mindful about my surroundings if an attentive waiter had cleared my dishes before I finished the chapter so as not to appear like a table hog. Don't worry, if you need the place, just ask if you can sit there.

My recent rude experience was at the Repeat Cruisers cocktail on Azamara Journey. Since I was alone, I chose to sit on a couch near the stage. A group of six took two chairs from my area and brought them over to their table. They then put their chair backs to my face and effectively blocked any waiter from seeing me.

When the waiter approached, I raised my hand but the other group called him over first. Sadly, I had no cocktail for the Captain's toast.

I still don't see that she did anything wrong. There's no reason a larger group or some mix of singles and couples couldn't share the table with her. The only reason she would need a smaller table is if she didn't want to share.

But now I think I understand why this bothers some people: People lingering in the buffet probably doesn't often cause others to not sit down and eat, it just makes them share a table with strangers. Somebody that doesn't like to share could get offended by this (I sometimes get cranky too, if I don't get what I want).

That happens a lot on Southwest . I wish they would make a rule that if you needed wheelchair assistance on you need it getting off .

I love their non stops BUT am so tired of them allowing wheelchair people and people with children to board first. They also allow people with medical cards to. Over the holidays when the boarding started, a dad with a small child was up with the gate attendant and she yelled back and said the entire family could board - it included gramma and grampa plus an aunt and uncle and more kids. It really made many people including me mad because they did not purchase the early boarding option. Same with many older people - they have figured out how they can board early and not pay the extra fee. An elderly couple came into the gate area with both pushing wheelchairs that were full of bags. They sat at chairs right by the gate entrance and the wheelchairs were parked next to them. The boarding started and they pushed their way to the front of the line. Number one, I thought the airport had people that pushed them so how did they get an airport wheelchair for their luggage???? They looked very spry - yes, that doesn't show all.

And on every flight I have been on lately, the bulkhead seats are taken up kids. I don't care for those seats but I don't feel kids need take them just because they are allowed on first.

And I also am sick and tired of being told to move over while I am in line waiting to board a ship. I had to stop at the ramp to the ship while 12 wheelchairs and their guest went past us. But what really upset me was when they jumped out of the chairs and ran off when they got on the ship. Saw several of them all over the ship - even dancing - no wheelchair

They are already seated - why do we have to stand while they are allowed to go on first. This handicapped stuff is getting out of hand.

Oh, and before you flame me, I do have a handicap car permit and my own wheelchair but I don't use them very often because it is better for me to walk and unless I am having an attack, I don't use it.

I love their non stops BUT am so tired of them allowing wheelchair people and people with children to board first. They also allow people with medical cards to. Over the holidays when the boarding started, a dad with a small child was up with the gate attendant and she yelled back and said the entire family could board - it included gramma and grampa plus an aunt and uncle and more kids. It really made many people including me mad because they did not purchase the early boarding option. Same with many older people - they have figured out how they can board early and not pay the extra fee. An elderly couple came into the gate area with both pushing wheelchairs that were full of bags. They sat at chairs right by the gate entrance and the wheelchairs were parked next to them. The boarding started and they pushed their way to the front of the line. Number one, I thought the airport had people that pushed them so how did they get an airport wheelchair for their luggage???? They looked very spry - yes, that doesn't show all.

And on every flight I have been on lately, the bulkhead seats are taken up kids. I don't care for those seats but I don't feel kids need take them just because they are allowed on first.

And I also am sick and tired of being told to move over while I am in line waiting to board a ship. I had to stop at the ramp to the ship while 12 wheelchairs and their guest went past us. But what really upset me was when they jumped out of the chairs and ran off when they got on the ship. Saw several of them all over the ship - even dancing - no wheelchair

They are already seated - why do we have to stand while they are allowed to go on first. This handicapped stuff is getting out of hand.

Oh, and before you flame me, I do have a handicap car permit and my own wheelchair but I don't use them very often because it is better for me to walk and unless I am having an attack, I don't use it.

Google "Miracle Flights". Will give you a bunch of examples about (particularly) flights from the Northeast to Florida with multiple wheelchair passengers that for some reason don't need the wheelchairs when they arrive at PBI, FLL, TPA, or MIA. Lots and lots of discussions on these.

We fly Southwest almost exclusively. Families with kids under a certain age board after the A group, not first. Children flying solo board first.

I've not noticed hoards of people boarding early because of physical handicaps. They have to have a blue folder to do so, but I don't know how you qualify for one of those.

These observations have been made in Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa and Orlando. Your mileage may vary.