Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

... BTW I have both Cherokee and Choctaw in me- and I feel this man has in a way insulted all of us who are native American or as Canadians say First Nation, even though he seems to think he was complimenting us.

BTW just because it is a sea day does not mean a person has not booked something like a wine tasting or a massage. Of course, that does not give them a reason to act ugly. If they have had sense they would have eaten in the lido and not tried to to put too many things into too little a space of time. I am just pointing out there are things scheduled on sea days and often you have put down money that you lose if you are a no show.

I too noticed the "Native Indian" comment. I didn't think he was throwing any compliments their way by pointing out his wife's heritage. People use this too often to excuse or allow certain behavior.

I also thought the comment about 'where did she have to rush off to' was spoken from someone who didn't know. She very well could have had something scheduled, or even just planned to meet up with others. We don't know.

None of which excuses her behavior.

I too noticed the "Native Indian" comment. I didn't think he was throwing any compliments their way by pointing out his wife's heritage. People use this too often to excuse or allow certain behavior.

I also thought the comment about 'where did she have to rush off to' was spoken from someone who didn't know. She very well could have had something scheduled, or even just planned to meet up with others. We don't know.

None of which excuses her behavior.

Yes, whether he meant true native Indian from India or native American/first nation it was a prejudiced statement on his part and no compliment for sure.

No excuse for either woman's behavior as far as I am concerned. Reminds me of a line of one of my favorite novels, "Emma" by Jane Austen. "Badly done Emma (or insert names of these two) badly done indeed." That applies to them doesn't it?

I got an email from Cruise Critic saying that (username) had replied to my post on "Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?" For the life of me, I cannot find that response. I did advanced search for both my user name the (username) in the email. I browed thru the past few days.

No results. Any one know how to go directly to the post referred to in the email from Cruise Critic???

The email didn't mean that somewhere in this topic someone replied directly to what you had posted. It just means that someone added a post to ths topic which (presumably) you had posted a comment to previously.

Okay, I've read the entire topic and didn't see this one:

> Bolting from the theatre during the last number or when the cruise director takes over for the last couple of minutes. Or any performance or lecture for that matter. Where is everyone in such a rush to get to that they have to make a run for it rather than staying a couple of minutes longer to give their applause for the performance? Instead they find it acceptable to climb over others and/or block people view during the big finale in order to get out a couple of minutes sooner. In most cases they are people who have to be first for everything and think they are smart to get the jump on everyone else out of the theatre. And they are much more likely to be the people right close to the front rather than at the back since they were "first" into the theatre and therefore they will be "inconvenienced" the most waiting to exit with everyone else since the exits are at the back.

In my books, it is unbelievably rude and shows a complete lack of proper behaviour doing this. I love it when the comedian or even the cruise director calls them on it attempting to embarrass them.

The only "barely acceptable" way to leave early or arrive late is to sit near the back not inconveniencing anyone else while looking for a seat and certainly not making it obvious to any of the performers that you couldn't bother to arrive on time or even stay until the end. But it never fails, someone comes stumbling in during the show and checks out the front rows for a good seat first. Unbelievable (where I come from!)

However, I was surprised to see one of the guest lecturers on a recent cruise consistently being one of the "bolters" from other performances and lectures so that behaviour certainly must not have bothered him when he was on stage. So, I guess it is just me.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

The only "barely acceptable" way to leave early or arrive late is to sit near the back not inconveniencing anyone else while looking for a seat and certainly not making it obvious to any of the performers that you couldn't bother to arrive on time or even stay until the end.

However, I was surprised to see one of the guest lecturers on a recent cruise consistently being one of the "bolters" from other performances and lectures so that behaviour certainly must not have bothered him when he was on stage. So, I guess it is just me.

Terry

You'll be happy to know that it's not just you -- in fact, you are in very good company. A few years back, the Freud theater in Los Angeles featured Jason Alexander (from Seinfeld) as a guest director. I had the privilege to attend a small Q&A session with him, for season ticket holders.

One of the questions was: What is the most rude thing an audience member can do, during a live performance? Most of us thought the reply would be all about cell phones. However, Mr. Alexander surprised us all by explaining that walking out in the last few minutes of a performance was the most discourteous thing, from a performer's point of view. He said: You don't have to applaud or cheer, just please don't turn your back on us.

I love it too when others stand up for those who can't, but your definition of a strong woman is definitely not mine.

A really strong woman/person can handle the situation with words, not the threat of, or violence.

I'd have been embarrassed by how this (grown) woman handled this situation.

I agree 100%. Threatening physical violence makes almost everyone look stupid but sorry...it really makes women look stupid. The worst are the younger 20-30 something women who act that way because they have their men with them. It makes them all look like idiots.

I once was in the Main Dining room for lunch on the Westerdam. My wife likes the Lido I like dining room. Anyway to appease me she joined me. They had these awesome Burgers with Jalepeno which I was enjoying when I heard this old bag shreik out behind me. Waiter! Waiter! He came running over and he said "Yes Ma'am" very politely and she said "I didn't order this with mustard on it. He said he would get her another one less the mustard and she said never mind she didn't have time. Really we were at sea for the rest of the day and next so where in God's name was she in a rush for. The waiter departed and didn't even reach his station she yells !! Waiter! Waiter ! Hey Stupid !!!!!!!!!!!! I was enjoying my burger and trying to ignore her and the next thing I know my wife has a menu standing at her table and is screaming at this old bitch threatening to punch her lights out well reading the menu. " Kosher Style Hot Dog with Dijon Mustard Sauce, Cole Slaw and Fries !!!! My dear wife is Native Indian and the very last thing you want to do is upset her and you can trust me on that. She told the lady if you don't apologize to him I am going to punch you in the mouth. I am trying to calm her down and the head waiter was there trying to calm the situation down but my old woman was relentless. The lady said. "well I guess I made a mistake" !!. The waiter said no problem and I made my wife sit down as that was all the old bitch was going to do rather then get us kicked off the ship. Never seen her the first 5 days of the cruise but ran into her and her mutually ignorant husband routinely over the next 5 days. Thank God in my 10 plus cruises I only had to deal with crap like that once. Later that night I told my wife I knew why I married her.

I am absolutely appalled by this story.

Not, as some of you might expect, by the rudeness of the woman who yelled at the waiter. That was bad enough, but it happens and there are suitable ways of dealing with people like that.

I am appalled at the poster's wife threatening that woman with violence, that is not acceptable anywhere regardless of the situation. And I am even more appalled by the attitude of the poster, who seems to think his wife's behaviour is acceptable and is even proud of her. Finally I am appalled that the poster used his wife's ethnicity as a resaon for her behaviour.

The appropriate thing to do would have been to approach the woman with a copy of the menu, and say in a very loud but calm voice "Excuse me, madam, but I feel I must point out to you that the menu does say 'Kosher Style Hot Dog with Dijon Mustard Sauce, Cole Slaw and Fries'. If you didn't want the mustard sauce you should have told your waiter when you ordered the dish.". That would have achieved the same result without the threat of violence. By using a loud voice, people around the woman would have heard everything and the woman would still have been shamed into apologising, however pathetic that apology was.

On my recent cruise the demographic was about 50% English speaking, 25% Japanese speaking, and 25% French speaking. During announcements before shore excursions, at muster, etc. the English and Japanese speakers were quiet during all of the announcements. The French listened to those in French but spoke loudly to be heard over the announcements in English and Japanese so the rest of us couldn't hear.

Of course not all the French were this way, but the only people who we found rude on the entire ship were French, including a couple of officers. :rolleyes:

On my latest cruise, I was standing in line behind my daughter, when a woman (guessing in her 70s), cut in line from the side of my daughter, stuck her chin out and glared at me to do something about it. I had no idea why she acted that way, so I just told my daughter that I was going to the line on the other side and just let it go.

On another occasion, my daughter and I just got to a table to attend the jewelry seminar when, a woman (also guessing to be in her 70s) was walking up a ramp, threw her papers over the railing onto the seat at the table, stared at my daughter and said "I'm sitting there!" My daughter looked at me, laughed, and said, "I guess we're going to another table."

When situations like these arise, I give these people the benefit of doubt in that I have no idea what they are dealing with in life, so I let it go. Like I told my daughter in the first instance, I'm not going to let these people ruin my vacation.

I'm in my late 60s, so believe me, I'm not picking on senior citizens.

On my latest cruise, I was standing in line behind my daughter, when a woman (guessing in her 70s), cut in line from the side of my daughter, stuck her chin out and glared at me to do something about it. I had no idea why she acted that way, so I just told my daughter that I was going to the line on the other side and just let it go.

On another occasion, my daughter and I just got to a table to attend the jewelry seminar when, a woman (also guessing to be in her 70s) was walking up a ramp, threw her papers over the railing onto the seat at the table, stared at my daughter and said "I'm sitting there!" My daughter looked at me, laughed, and said, "I guess we're going to another table."

When situations like these arise, I give these people the benefit of doubt in that I have no idea what they are dealing with in life, so I let it go. Like I told my daughter in the first instance, I'm not going to let these people ruin my vacation.

I'm in my late 60s, so believe me, I'm not picking on senior citizens.

These 2 instances remind me of a conversation my friends and I had when we were at uni a few years ago.

We were talking about how we were sick of the media/soceity saying how ungrateful/rude and selfish young people are these days when actually theres a larger than expected percentage of much older people that are incredibly rude and selfish but its not mentioned as much.

Naturally, you get rude and selfish people in every age, creed and class and you wonder where its learned from.

These 2 instances remind me of a conversation my friends and I had when we were at uni a few years ago.

We were talking about how we were sick of the media/soceity saying how ungrateful/rude and selfish young people are these days when actually theres a larger than expected percentage of much older people that are incredibly rude and selfish but its not mentioned as much.

Naturally, you get rude and selfish people in every age, creed and class and you wonder where its learned from.

You're absolutely right. Some young people are rude and some are very courteous, and I find the older generation to be either very nice with a good sense of humor, while others believe the world revolves around them just because they have lived longer and are real sourpusses. :eek:

The young people who are pleasant and polite and well mannered will probably grow up to be older people who are pleasant, polite and well mannered.

The older people who are rude, bitter, and angry - were probably young people who were rude, bitter and angry.

i don't think it is age or ethnicity that makes you one way or another. Maybe things intensify as you age, especially when people lose their filters [which I think really does happen] but if they were nice people they will be nice people. If they were angry bitter people, they will be more so.

the quote from lucky7 is from Austin Powers the Goldmember film [i think] and definitely a joke[the Dutch are famously known as being an extremely tolerant country]

Austin Powers I have never seen, but I felt he must be joking-but then again you never know with people.

My husband uses a scooter.Most people on elevators are very nice about seeing him on and off. We have run into a few not so nice who don't like to move over to the side so that he can get in or out. Not often does this happen, but it seemed to be more frequent on the small elevators of Royal Princess.

the quote from lucky7 is from Austin Powers the Goldmember film [i think] and definitely a joke[the Dutch are famously known as being an extremely tolerant country]

Bingo. Someone figured out my sarcasm. I love the Dutch, but do hate people who are intolerant of other people's cultures

Edited by LuckyZ

Bingo. Someone figured out my sarcasm. I love the Dutch, but do hate people who are intolerant of other people's cultures

Lol! My own sense of humor is a bit cracked, but that does not mean I can always see others. but a part of me knew you were joking even if I had never seen Austin Powers movies-lol! I have heard others complain about this country and that country but never the dutch-lol!

Many years ago I was in a queue, standing behind a woman who was in her 20s who had a very young child in a pushchair with her.

An older woman, in her 70s or 80s, very roughly pushed in front of the young woman, and as she did so said "Oh, I didn't see you there. You don't mind, do you?"

I replied with a smile, "No, we don't mind at all. We have much longer to live than you do."

VP

Many years ago I was in a queue, standing behind a woman who was in her 20s who had a very young child in a pushchair with her.

An older woman, in her 70s or 80s, very roughly pushed in front of the young woman, and as she did so said "Oh, I didn't see you there. You don't mind, do you?"

I replied with a smile, "No, we don't mind at all. We have much longer to live than you do."

VP

LOVE IT! I was waiting in line to pay for something recently at Kohls or Beall's, can't remember which, when these two older women pushed right through to the front. The cashier told them that there was a line, and they said, "We don't think anyone will mind. I was a few people back and spoke up, telling them that. "not only do we mind, but we found them to be incredibly ignorant and rude, and mentioned that their age had obviously not made them wiser."

Rather than stepping to the back of the line, they insisted that they get rung out. I guess the cashier didn't want a confrontation, as she did what they asked. I saw them shopping in another store about 15 minutes later and asked if they had enjoyed proving what ignorant asses they were. They had no response, which was probably a good thing.

many years ago i was in a queue, standing behind a woman who was in her 20s who had a very young child in a pushchair with her.

An older woman, in her 70s or 80s, very roughly pushed in front of the young woman, and as she did so said "oh, i didn't see you there. You don't mind, do you?"

i replied with a smile, "no, we don't mind at all. We have much longer to live than you do."

vp

I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jdarch