Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

Well time was nearing, Gavin Mcleod and other guests came out to speak and then it happened. A couple from Europe arrived....came up to us and told us we had to move and let them in front because they wanted to take pictures. They had a video camera and tripod so you know it was not just snap some pictures and give us back our spot.

I told them 'no" and next time arrive earlier. They were quite put out. I guess I was just as rude as they were but.....I could not help myself.

Good for you! I have no idea why some late-comers think they should be able to go to the front, but I've seen this happen several times.

Wow! I never mentioned my husband at all. You have me mixed up with someone else. All I was saying is that sometimes others need to be considerate of scooters too. That it is a two way street. Flip out a little?
You are correct, I was mixing two different people.
Reedl: I'm sorry that happened to your daughter. I have seen and felt scooter riders that think they are owed something and to get the h@ll out of their way. I've been hit by them just like your daughter was. There are many people, however, that think scooters have breaks and can just stop. They can't. They have a breaking system and there is a slight delay in their stopping.

Yup. As was posted by someone else, the major issue is the novice scooter operators who have never operated one, and do not know the dynamics of a scooter, and operate it as if they are walking. They are a significant portion of the problem.

For example in Vegas, there are a bunch of people who rent scooters so that they do not have to walk anywhere. Mix in too much alcohol, and it is a recipe for trouble.

Edited by reedl

Whether on an ocean cruise or a river cruise this more than annoys me. People that arrogantly sign up for tours fully realizing they are not physically able to complete the tour. :mad: Then they get mad at the tour guides or their fellow cruisers after they have brought the tour to a near total halt. All the ship tours and/or private tours do an excellent job of telling people the obstacles and physical conditions needed to take a given tour. I am tired of not getting to complete tours and seeing sights we have paid to see, because some jerk makes us wait and wait and wait while they rest every 100 yards or city block. and we run out of time on the tour! :mad: They believe they should be facilitated and that we should have to constantly wait on them as a courtesy instead of them not signing up for the tour as a courtesy to others. You want to see war? It's when a small group that has signed up together, via the cruise roll call, for multiple private tours, kick an individual/couple off the future scheduled tours because of this. Tempers flare anew!

Whether on an ocean cruise or a river cruise this more than annoys me. People that arrogantly sign up for tours fully realizing they are not physically able to complete the tour. :mad: Then they get mad at the tour guides or their fellow cruisers after they have brought the tour to a near total halt. All the ship tours and/or private tours do an excellent job of telling people the obstacles and physical conditions needed to take a given tour. I am tired of not getting to complete tours and seeing sights we have paid to see, because some jerk makes us wait and wait and wait while they rest every 100 yards or city block. and we run out of time on the tour! :mad: They believe they should be facilitated and that we should have to constantly wait on them as a courtesy instead of them not signing up for the tour as a courtesy to others. You want to see war? It's when a small group that has signed up together, via the cruise roll call, for multiple private tours, kick an individual/couple off the future scheduled tours because of this. Tempers flare anew!

I think it's great that the ADA makes businesses accommodate those with disabilities. But at some point, those with disabilities need to stop and ask themselves how much everyone else should have to accommodate them.

I have a profound hearing loss. I'm sure all those around me in the dining room would appreciate having to listen to what would be a shouting match to most others just so I can hear the conversation. I'm sure those in the cabin on either side of mine would appreciate it if I turned the tv up loud enough for me to hear and them as well.

Currently, I'm able to deal with most situations with my hearing aids. My hearing aids aren't an imposition on others. If I'm in a situation where I can't hear, I just tune out. I'm not going to make those speaking to keep repeating themselves and impose on those around me. I try to be close to speakers on tours, etc but I'm certainly not owed that. I'm not entitled to a seat at the front of the theater when I walk in the last minute because of my hearing loss. If I want the front seat, I need to be there in line to get it.

I think it's great that the ADA makes businesses accommodate those with disabilities. But at some point, those with disabilities need to stop and ask themselves how much everyone else should have to accommodate them.

I have a profound hearing loss. I'm sure all those around me in the dining room would appreciate having to listen to what would be a shouting match to most others just so I can hear the conversation. I'm sure those in the cabin on either side of mine would appreciate it if I turned the tv up loud enough for me to hear and them as well.

Currently, I'm able to deal with most situations with my hearing aids. My hearing aids aren't an imposition on others. If I'm in a situation where I can't hear, I just tune out. I'm not going to make those speaking to keep repeating themselves and impose on those around me. I try to be close to speakers on tours, etc but I'm certainly not owed that. I'm not entitled to a seat at the front of the theater when I walk in the last minute because of my hearing loss. If I want the front seat, I need to be there in line to get it.

That's called living with your situation and owning it. Also mistakenly called common courtesy, mistakenly because it's not all that common. Thank you for your attitude and regard for others. If only others could be like that.

And yet sometimes the tour does screw up. I use a walker to get around. On one of my trips I phoned the customer number to ask about a couple of the tours that I was looking at. I asked them if there was a lot of walking because the description did not mention it. I wanted to know how hard it would be. I was told that it would be no problem. Once on the ship I again went down to the shore excursion desk and asked the same question using my walker. Again I was told that they would be okay. They were not okay. Now I am not sure if the company doing the tour changed it up or what but there was a lot of walking over cobble stones. It was horrible. I ended up cancelling the other tours because I couldn't be sure if they were right. I had tried my best to find out.

Now having said that sometimes it is hard to find an excursion that is mild but interesting. I want to see things as well and I do try my best to keep up. If I don't think I will be able to walk at a certain spot I will stay near the bus and wait until the others come back. I don't want to just sit on a bus though. I don't do beaches which seems to be the mild excursions.

I used to be able bodied and did a lot of things. Life happens and sometimes not so nice things happy to make life a little more challenging. Just remember it could be you at some point, and then how would you feel?

tigercat

And yet sometimes the tour does screw up. I use a walker to get around. On one of my trips I phoned the customer number to ask about a couple of the tours that I was looking at. I asked them if there was a lot of walking because the description did not mention it. I wanted to know how hard it would be. I was told that it would be no problem. Once on the ship I again went down to the shore excursion desk and asked the same question using my walker. Again I was told that they would be okay. They were not okay. Now I am not sure if the company doing the tour changed it up or what but there was a lot of walking over cobble stones. It was horrible. I ended up cancelling the other tours because I couldn't be sure if they were right. I had tried my best to find out.

Now having said that sometimes it is hard to find an excursion that is mild but interesting. I want to see things as well and I do try my best to keep up. If I don't think I will be able to walk at a certain spot I will stay near the bus and wait until the others come back. I don't want to just sit on a bus though. I don't do beaches which seems to be the mild excursions.

I used to be able bodied and did a lot of things. Life happens and sometimes not so nice things happy to make life a little more challenging. Just remember it could be you at some point, and then how would you feel?

tigercat

Again, it comes down to what accommodations others around you are expected to take. If I were on the tour and you explained you were mislead on the amount of walking, I'd sympathize with you. If you thought everyone else on the tour owed it to you to go at your pace, all sympathy is out the window.

I'll hold a door for anyone, be it man, woman, child, black , white, purple or pink. Just at least acknowledge that there's a collection of cells that makes up the shape of a human being that did so for you. I'll go out of my way to help a handicapped person because it's a decent thing to do. But no one is entitled to that. If a handicapped person thinks they're entitled to everyone else's sympathy and should have to be deferred to, they're wrong.

How would you feel if I turned up my cabin tv loud enough for me to hear if you were right next door? I don't have the right to impose on others. How would you feel if I kept interrupting a tour guide to keep repeating everything because I can't hear? It's not the fault of the others on that tour so why should I burden them?

Life is like an interstate highway. Not everyone is capable of operating at the same speed. Slower traffic doesn't have the right to park it in the left lane and interfere with those around them. Everyone has a right to be on the road but not at the expense of everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I am on an excursion as I said and I realize that I can't do something specific I will stay behind and wait. I do not think everyone should go at my pace although I did get upset at the tour guide but did not say anything. It wasn't worth it and I didn't want to upset the whole tour. There were a couple of people who helped me and stayed with me even though I told them to go on. When the walking stuff started I asked the tour guide how much there was as I couldn't walk very far. I told him I would just stay with the bus. He stated that there was very little walking and that I would be fine. I tried my best but kept being told that it would be "fine".

I don't expect anyone to help me but when they do I thank them and tell them I appreciate what they did for me. That is the decent thing to do. I do not think I am entitled, I try to do things myself.

Again though there are a number of people who actually make it harder for you. I can't count the number of times I have waited for an elevator and when one opens up people run for it and fill it up even if I have been waiting for a while for one. One time I was waiting and the elevator opened. I started for it when a young man saw it open as he entered the area and ran for it. I thought he might hold it for me. Nope, he started pressing the close button so that he didn't have to have me in the elevator with him. I know that is what he was doing because I could hear him saying "close hurry up and close"

Also if you are using a walker or a scooter (and yes I know not all scooter people are good but then not all people period are good) you become invisible to others. I can be walking down the hall and people will come down the other way and just stop and fill the hall. With a walker I need a little room, not the whole hallway but enough to get around. As well in a busy area just try to get through it. It isn't going to happen. I happen to also be short (4' 8" tall) and that makes it even harder. People really don't see me at all it seems sometimes. I am always polite, wait my turn and try my best to accommodate others. It is nice when others do the same.

tigercat

Interesting old thread.. Would not have ever seen it it not bumped by a post. Scary how many of the behaviors we've seen.

Selfie sticks...I don't hate them but please be aware of where your swinging them.

Ditto - backpacks on the back in elevators and tight spaces. Don't turn around and wack people (especially tall people hitting short people in the face). Better yet remove it and hold it in front.

Big one in our book is my wife has a foot rest on her bad side for her wheelchair. People on elevators will straddle her leg to use the space in front of her. Almost sitting on her knee. :mad:

I've been on both sides of these scooter and wheelchair issues. My Mom used a scooter on one cruise and just seemed oblivious to the fact that she was running over people. We started getting in front of her to keep her from hitting people, after unsuccessfully trying to talk to her about being careful. By the end of the cruise, ALL of us were missing the skin on the back of the heels of our feet, and bruises on the back of our legs. A few years prior to that, I was in a cast to mid-thigh and used a wheelchair to do a little Christmas shopping. It lasted less than an hour, in spite of the fact that I normally LOVE shopping. I was walked over, the chair knocked, I was hit in the face with a man carrying a shopping bag, and the final straw was while I was looking through a rack of sweaters and a woman took the handles and just moved me out of the way. I was on the verge of tears by this point and just left the store. We have had to try to get my Mom on the elevator in a wheelchair (which we switched to after the scooter cruise), and people would not let us put her and her wheelchair and a person to push it on and they would push in when the doors opened. It's just dependent on the type of person....on both sides.

Those that save seats for others who either never show up or come in in the middle of the show.

People who hold up their tablets or phones in the darkened theater in front of everyone behind them to record the show. Get a life and watch the show for real, you'll never look at the recording anyway, and anyone not on the cruise with you couldn't care less.

A few years prior to that, I was in a cast to mid-thigh and used a wheelchair to do a little Christmas shopping. It lasted less than an hour, in spite of the fact that I normally LOVE shopping. I was walked over, the chair knocked, I was hit in the face with a man carrying a shopping bag, and the final straw was while I was looking through a rack of sweaters and a woman took the handles and just moved me out of the way. I was on the verge of tears by this point and just left the store.

This is part of what I was referring to earlier when I said people just don't seem to see you. You can just be sitting there, not moving and people will walk into you or as you said turn and hit you in the face then blame you. When you ask the person to be careful or put up your hand to stop the next hit you get attitude from that person. How dare you touch my backpack that is sticking out a full foot behind me. I don't care if it was going to hit you in the head again, get your grubbies off!

Yes, my favorite whether in a wheelchair or not are these mothers carrying babies in front and/or the fathers (usually) with stroller and kids in tow that bounce around in an elevator turning while talking from this side to that side and back again, stepping backwards to make more room for his family forgetting the someone is standing (or sitting) behind him, bending over to get crap out of the stroller etc and never EVER think that the huge thing attached to their back might be hitting people in the face or other bodies parts. I've been know to mention it. They are like deer with headlights in their eyes. What? What do you mean I just hit you in the face?

BACKPACK PEOPLE: I can't tell you the number of times I have been hit by a backpack and end up with bruises, mostly on my arms or dropped on my feet. Now, for THAT I will say something because there are many many people out there that aren't in wheelchairs or other walking devices that have feet issues. Backpack people start to get an attitude then too until they realize that tears are flowing down my face and I'm trying to get my pain level down from the 10 level they put me in. After I explain that not only do they hit people in the face but when they carelessly drop their backpack they can do real damage to people. Don't know if it helps everyone but for most people it does.

You don't have to be using a wheelchair or scooter to get smacked in the head by one of those fully-loaded "bug-out" backpacks! As a woman who stands just under 5'2", I've been nearly knocked over by those, on more than one occasion. Usually, it's a close quarters situation (crowds, queues, etc) and the person wearing the backpack suddenly turns around, totally oblivious to the folks nearby!:eek:

Observed a guy reaching under a meat carving station's sneeze guard and sinking a finger into the slab of meat desired.... there are other words that were used by the man standing behind the 'meat sticker' who did it... rude wasn't one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was having a wonderful nap on the pool deck when a guy, who thought he was being cute, threw ice on me. Not funny. His wife was mortified and apologized constantly for the remainder of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! I can't even imagine a stranger throwing ice on a person he doesn't know. I'd be ticked if I knew the person.

I was having a wonderful nap on the pool deck when a guy, who thought he was being cute, threw ice on me. Not funny. His wife was mortified and apologized constantly for the remainder of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! I can't even imagine a stranger throwing ice on a person he doesn't know. I'd be ticked if I knew the person.

Sounds like alcohol might have been involved...:rolleyes: (not that it would excuse that sort of behavior).

On our last cruise we saw another type of poor elevator etiquette. There was a large group on the ship that as soon as the door would open they would immediately start pushing the close door button. If you were not standing in front of that particular elevator you could not get there in time to get on. It was very annoying.

On our last cruise we saw another type of poor elevator etiquette. There was a large group on the ship that as soon as the door would open they would immediately start pushing the close door button. If you were not standing in front of that particular elevator you could not get there in time to get on. It was very annoying.

I think that comes close to the rudest elevator infraction of all. I will sometimes say something to those people, hoping they're ignorant rather than rude, and will know for the next time. But I rather think they'll continue with the "all about me" mentality.

There was a man that did that on one of my cruises. I simply hit the door open button and invited all those standing outside in. He was not a happy camper having to wait for the elevator to fill up.

Interesting as a friend of mine who is an elevator expert and inspector here in Florida once told me that the "close door" button is rarely connected and thus not operational. Just there for looks. Perhaps it actually works on ships?

That is when I stick my arm between the doors, when the doors open again, I then stick my entire body in front of the doors, wait a bit, stick my head out to see if any more are coming (hopefully there are), then look disgustingly at the culprit.

Then sometimes I do a little snicker to myself.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL