Two balconies vs gran suite

I'm thinking of taking my parents on a cruise for my dad's retirement. Playing around with dummy bookings, it looks like I could book a grand suite for all three of us or two balcony cabins for a very similar price.

I've never sailed in a suite before but I like the idea of having a bath tub (my mom loves to take a bath to relax). We'll be stopping in Labadee and the idea of the suite beach is appealing as well. Has anyone ever done three adults in a suite? Would the space be sufficient for three adults? Would the suite perks make up for having a bit less privacy? Any insight is appreciated!

I'm thinking of taking my parents on a cruise for my dad's retirement. Playing around with dummy bookings, it looks like I could book a grand suite for all three of us or two balcony cabins for a very similar price.

I've never sailed in a suite before but I like the idea of having a bath tub (my mom loves to take a bath to relax). We'll be stopping in Labadee and the idea of the suite beach is appealing as well. Has anyone ever done three adults in a suite? Would the space be sufficient for three adults? Would the suite perks make up for having a bit less privacy? Any insight is appreciated!

I just got off Enchantment and we did 3 adults in a JS ... it was actually a pretty good size with lots of storage so I imagine a GS would be fine! The only plus to two separate rooms is more privacy and 2 bathrooms

There is plenty of room in a Grand Suite for 3 adults.

The whole thing hinges on your relationship with your parents.

If each of the three of you is comfortable with the idea of sharing space for a week, including sleeping area and bathroom use, then I would book the GS.

It is a beautiful stateroom, with a gorgeous bathroom, and you are right that having access to Barefoot Beach and to the Concierge Lounge would be HUGE deals in celebrating your Dad's retirement.

A heavy curtain can be drawn across the main bed, making it nicely private.

I have traveled with my two kids in a GS, and it worked out very well.

We have always booked at least a GS for the three of us (Once were able to get a Crown loft on the Allure, and that was awesome).

We enjoy the room and DH and myself enjoy relaxing with a drink before dinner in the CL.

The extra room made a big difference and DD did not mind the sleeper sofa, when she did return to the room to sleep:eek: (curfew)

Sea Ya

We've had 2 interconnecting balcony cabins which was nice as you were together but also had your own space and 2 bathrooms. We had the balcony opened up to make one large balcony and kept the interconnecting doors between the rooms opened up most of the time. We have also had a Grand Suite and there is plenty of room for 3 but obviously you don't get any privacy. The advantage of a grand suite is that you get the Concierge Lounge and lots of extras which you wouldn't get with 2 balcony cabins. If I had to make the choice, I would go for a GS.

The only thing is that the sofa bed is usually not that comfortable. In the past I have asked for a roll-away cot for the room so someone can sleep on that instead. I would probably do the GS.

Edited by marci22

I did exactly what you are considering........stayed in a Grand Suite with my parents. It was plenty of space for 3 people and the experience of the Grand Suite is wonderful. At night, we could pull the curtain so there was complete privacy for sleeping. I think what is the nicest aspect of this is all of the room you will be able to enjoy in the cabin during the day with a very large balcony with nicer furniture. It will definitely have a more "celebratory" feel to things.

Then there are the suite benefits - Barefoot Beach at Labadee is really wonderful especially if you splurge and book a Cabana - this is really nice to do if there are any issues with needing shade and Labadee can be very hot. Service by the concierge is great....no waiting in line at Guest Services as he/she will take care of everything. Priority seating in shows and the nightly cocktail party in the Concierge Lounge can be very festive. You can also order off of the full main dining room menu and have a nice meal or two on the balcony. There is not a formal dining table in the room but if memory serves me correctly there is a table for 4 on the balcony. (I could be confusing the balcony table though with the Royal Family Suite - we were lucky enough to stay in that once.

Soooo....can you tell I think you really, really should go with the Grand Suite? Good luck with your decision and have a wonderful cruise with your parents! :)

To help make the pull out sofa more comfortable, ask for an egg crate topper. I did that and found the comfort to be just fine....slept like a baby. It would be a good idea to request this in advance of your sailing as I have heard they can run out. Just send a message to the concierge with that request. Many times the concierge will email you a week or two in advance of the cruise introducing themselves and you can respond to that. If they do not, you can send a message proactively. I can't remember how to figure out the email address but it is something like ship abbreviation_concierge@rccl.com. For example on Navigator, NV_concierge@rccl.com. BUT hopefully someone else can correct me if I have this wrong.

Two balconies.

There's no way I would want to have my dad sleeping in my room. Even with the divider closed in the GS. Are you guys going to sleep on the sofa with your dad in the bed? Not my idea of romance. You wouldn't make your father sleep on it, I hope.

Two balconies, on a ship that has dividers that open, and you'll have the best of both worlds. Two bathrooms is a huge plus as well. Besides, dad might want a little privacy himself.

You do lose the gold sea pass, the larger bathroom and possibly, depending on status, access to the concierge lounge, but to me that would be a small sacrifice.

Two balconies.

There's no way I would want to have my dad sleeping in my room. Even with the divider closed in the GS. Are you guys going to sleep on the sofa with your dad in the bed? Not my idea of romance. You wouldn't make your father sleep on it, I hope.

Two balconies, on a ship that has dividers that open, and you'll have the best of both worlds. Two bathrooms is a huge plus as well. Besides, dad might want a little privacy himself.

You do lose the gold sea pass, the larger bathroom and possibly, depending on status, access to the concierge lounge, but to me that would be a small sacrifice.

King - the way Im reading it the OP is taking the Parents - fathers retirement - so parents would likely be in the bed and OP in the sofa bed. Thinking the Gold Pass with Concierge access and breakfast in Portofino's etc would be a nice perk for a retirement gift

You are absolutely right. Don't know why I thought the other way around. Must be the Bailey's and coffee. ;-)

That being said, I still don't think you want the GS over two balconies. I'm all for giving the parents a treat, and the GS would be awesome, but, not if it means somebody is sleeping on the couch in their room.

Another vote for the GS, you are going to love the bathroom and the suite perks!!:):)

If this is not a surprise, why not ask your parents? The privacy issue is really for them. You probably do not care. If I had had the opportunity to cruise with both my parents and it was just me (not my wife along), we definitely would have done the GS, because they would not have cared enough about the privacy from me to justify not getting the suite life.

Just my opinion.

David

If it is not a surprise ask your parents and see what they would like. But it is do able to fit 3 adults into a Grand Suite.We have booked 2 GS before with my in laws in one suite with my 21yr old daughter and we had the other one with our other daughter. We had no problems with privacy and both my daughters said the sofa's were fine to sleep on . But you can ask your room attendant for a topper if you find any of the beds/sofa not comfortable . All the suite benefits and the lovely cabin makes for a wonderful cruise. Which ever way you choice I am sure you will all have a wonderful time.

We love the GS experience but two balconies is the way to go. Love them to death but my dad is an awful snorer and I could never sleep in the same room with him. You also have to take your parents agility into account. Those tubs are not exactly senior friendly.

Thanks so much for all the opinions and input! I took the advice of several here and asked my folks--they're pretty excited about the idea of a suite! We've camped and traveled together plenty of times, so we're used to each other's sleep patterns, etc. And they'll be heading down to Florida ahead of me to enjoy the first week of retirement alone together sans kids. They might actually miss me by the time I get there ;)

Thanks again! I'm pretty much decided on the suite and SUPER excited! The only problem--this is my dad's first cruise. He'll never want to go back to a balcony now! :D

Thanks so much for all the opinions and input! I took the advice of several here and asked my folks--they're pretty excited about the idea of a suite! We've camped and traveled together plenty of times, so we're used to each other's sleep patterns, etc. And they'll be heading down to Florida ahead of me to enjoy the first week of retirement alone together sans kids. They might actually miss me by the time I get there ;)

Thanks again! I'm pretty much decided on the suite and SUPER excited! The only problem--this is my dad's first cruise. He'll never want to go back to a balcony now! :D

LOVE this post! :)

Wonderful you will love having a Grand suite .And yes once you have been in a suite your hooked and it is hard to go back down to a balcony. Enjoy your cruise