What's the singles scene like?

Newbury newbie

We're first time cruisers on the Eclipse come May 10th and going with other family members. My brother, who's 51, is "in between relationships" (as they say) and fast running out of time of finding a partner to take. Is there likely to be some sort of singles scene on Eclipse? ;);)

W and I are taking our first cruise on celebrity this summer so we aren't the best authority on the subject. However from our research I can probably say that celebrity is not known for its singles scene. Of course it could be impacted by the itinerary of the Eclipse.

But in the long run who cares? Your brother will have a wonderful time regardless.

On four Celebrity cruises - all as a solo/single traveler, I never saw anything close to a singles scene. Granted I was definitely NOT looking for one so it may have just gone unnoticed by me. Best bet for your brother would be to participate in a lot of the activities offered like trivia, etc. If there are singles, a lot of them may gravitate towards activities in which they might meet others.

The singles scene on Celebrity is not at all active. Yes, there are solo cruisers, and there may be a solo get together on the ship, but those parties are never well attended, if anyone shows up at all.

I suppose that someone's chances of meeting someone they want to have a relationship with on board are about as good as anywhere . . . maybe a bit higher, since a cruise will inherently encourage people to get out and interact with each other more than usual.

I cruise extensively as a solo traveler (who is also 51!) I have always met a lot of nice people to hang out with UNTIL I went on my first Celebrity cruise in January. It is the only cruise I have been on where I actually felt lonely. No one seemed interested in talking to anyone other than the people they were traveling with. I also found select dining to be a very solo experience as no one wanted to share tables so I was often seated alone. I do enjoy my own company and love traveling solo, but if my last trip is any indication, I will not be going back to Celebrity.

I cruise extensively as a solo traveler (who is also 51!) I have always met a lot of nice people to hang out with UNTIL I went on my first Celebrity cruise in January. It is the only cruise I have been on where I actually felt lonely. No one seemed interested in talking to anyone other than the people they were traveling with. I also found select dining to be a very solo experience as no one wanted to share tables so I was often seated alone. I do enjoy my own company and love traveling solo, but if my last trip is any indication, I will not be going back to Celebrity.

My solo sailing on Celebrity has been quite the opposite. I've always met people who were friendly and accommodating to let me join them for activities. I will admit these weren't necessarily other solos, but I don't need the company of other solos to have a great time. In all honesty, I think your first mistake was in choosing Select. Solo cruisers, who want to meet and mingle, should choose traditional dining where you're assured of meeting others from the first day out. I won't cruise on lines where open dining (Select, Freestyle or whatever they call it) is the only option because you do experience what you did in not having dining companions. I did that once, and said never again.

But I will say, on my last three cruises on Celebrity, I've noticed a lot of bigger groups traveling together, which can impact how others interact. On my last cruise on Equinox, there seemed to be far many more groups of people traveling together (not huge groups, but I'd say groups of 15 to 20, and most from outside North America) than I've ever experienced. Those groups did tend to stick together and not interact with anyone else outside their small group. Perhaps this is part of Celebrity's push to attract customers from Europe and other countries outside NA.

2 weeks ago with a friend who was travelling solo. The night after sail away X offered a "Solo Get Together"....she went and met about 6 or 7 other solo travelers about her age...I'd say she is around 53. They ended up having a great time together...met each night for drinks, re-arranged their dining to Select to be able to all dine together and just had a fun time...no romance..just pals. If that get together is offered perhaps he will be as lucky! LuAnn

Sailing with Celebrity for 11 years now and I always go solo. I suppose

we all look for different things but I have never cared about meeting

other solo cruisers. Friendly folks:)....that is what I look for. Their

marital status doesn't matter to me....oh I am 55, if that matters.

I normally dine traditional and have been pretty lucky with tablemates.

If, by chance, we don't "click" I go to the Maitr'd and ask to be moved.

Most recently I was on Century and this was a totally different type

of cruise. The roll call was full of long time cruisers, some I had sailed

with before and others just meeting on this cruise. My tablemates

at dinner were folks from the roll call and we all got along really

well:D....2 couples so it was the 5 of us. That was the 8 night

cruise. I went on the short 3 nighter as well. Those 3 nights?

I ate in Murano on night 1 with rollcall mates and the following

2 nights I ate with another couple from the roll call. It was great:)

But as for the "the singles scene"....I could really care less about that

and have never felt lonely on my cruises.

There are activties for everyone and it is a nice way to meet other

folks that way:).......

Hopefully your brother will have a good time. Check the roll call

for your cruise. Great way to meet other people:)

My experience was exactly the opposite. My first cruise was as a solo cruiser and I was at the early dinner seating and Celebrity had formed a table of solo cruisers and sat us all together. We made fast friendships and 3 of us are still friends. So much so that my cruise last year was the three of us getting together again and while we all prefer our own cabins, we don't consider it a solo cruise because we decided to travel together.

On that first cruise I met the only single Jewish male on the entire ship and we hang out together a few times. His mother definitely wanted us to get together but the thought of dating a guy who at 48 still lived with his parents made me skeevy. He wasn't interested either. We had a good time otherwise though.

Beyond that: I never got the impression that Celebrity was a line for dating opportunities.

At least the OP's brother is traveling with family members, so he won't be alone. I travel with DH but have not noticed too many single ladies traveling alone, Celebrity really isn't a "party line" so probably won't attract too many looking to find romance. I think he should set his expectations low and enjoy his family -- if he does meet someone, that would just be icing on the cake as they say.

We're first time cruisers on the Eclipse come May 10th and going with other family members. My brother, who's 51, is "in between relationships" (as they say) and fast running out of time of finding a partner to take. Is there likely to be some sort of singles scene on Eclipse? ;);)

There is singles "looking to hook up" and singles "traveling alone" (which for clarity, most people around her refer to as solo). I don't think you're going to find much of the first on Celebrity. But as for the second, I travel solo quite often and twice on Celebrity (also 51 -- seems like a pattern here!). Lots of activities where I found it not at all uncomfortable to be on my own. In fact, I've had a blast and can't wait to go again.

I will say my one experience with Select dining on Celebrity wasn't great as a solo. They weren't particularly interesting in seating me with groups. Had a much better experience with traditional. I'm guessing your family might be dining together anyway, so no issue there :)

Have your brother post on the sailing roll call a bit. He can mention he's sailing solo and maybe there may be others as well. One sailing roll call that I was on ended up having several singles meeting via the roll call and they made plans to get together on board.

Why not go to the roll call for your cruise and ask your question there. Better yet have your brother join CC and have him ask the question in roll call. All though the amount of posters in the roll call is a small percentage of the passengers it's a good place to start. He could also try Craigslist personals :D

The majority of my cruising has been "solo". Due to the supplement, I have always taken someone else with me. Brother in Law, Sister in Law, friend from work, my children etc. Might as well give someone a free cruise since I am going to pay for it anyway.

I have never looked at taking the cruise to "hook up" for a few days, but have found plenty of single passengers to spend time with, and have met many people on the roll calls to meet with.

Now that I am married, we do the same thing. Get active on the roll call and meet on board. On our last cruise, there were three solos on the roll call and we met for dinners in the specialty restaurants and formed our own little group. If you are friendly and outgoing you should have no problem meeting people to have fun with.