Bruges

miss travel

We are going on a mini cruise to Bruges. There are 6 of us and the excursion price for all of us is expensive. Is there a shuttle bus? Or can any body recommend a taxi company that is very good.

Many thanks

Kerry

Yes there is a shuttle bus, to Blankenburge. It stops next to the station where you can get a train to Bruges. The train takes 10 to 15 mins. They run every half an hour. Look on the Internet for the train times. Blankenburge itself is a sea side resort. We generally stay here as we have been to stay in Bruges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Both the ships excursions and taxis from Zeebrugge to Bruges are expensive so the shuttle and train is the way to go if you want to save a bit of money and it is a good service.

The walk from Bruges Train Station into the old town is about 15-20 mins so you may want to get a short taxi ride to maximise your time in Bruges. Once there the sights of Bruges are easily doable on foot.

Here's a link to the english-language page for Belgian Railways. To find times and frequencies, type 'Blank ' into the 'from' box; their system will then find all the matches it can. Then click on the one at the top of the list, 'Blankenberge [NMBS/SNCB]'.

Note also that on this website, using 'Brugge' for the destination works better than using 'Bruges'. The former is the Flemish version of the town's name, the latter is the walloon (French language) version.

I always use Brugge taxi service and find them to be brilliant! And cheap between 8 which is what their mini busses take( you could easily find 2 people on the quayside to make up numbers)

On our first ever cruise, same as you, the mini, I didn't do any research so just booked the excursion. I agree that taking the shuttle bus and train is a good option but be aware you may have to queue in a long line waiting for a shuttle bus. On the second, also mini, cruise, we took the shuttle and stayed in Blankenburg and had a lovely day walking along the prom, round the shops and enjoying a beer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are going on a mini cruise to Bruges. There are 6 of us and the excursion price for all of us is expensive. Is there a shuttle bus? Or can any body recommend a taxi company that is very good.

Many thanks

Kerry

Went into Bruges last year by taxi. Usually a taxi rank at bottom of gangway or nearby. Fare very reasonable IF SHARING. Can arrange with taxi driver to pick you up at days end. Boat might frown on you if you try and arrange taxi while onboard; best to nip down gangway and sort out taxi on shore.

We have visited Zeebrugge twice, the first time in July 2012 on Azura with a 4 year old and we chose to spend the day in Blankenberg because we thought that on a hot day he would prefer to be at the beach rather than walking around. We had a lovely day, Blankenberg is a small seaside town, not a lot to do but very charming. especially good for small children who like to beach. We then visited in December 2013 on Aurora on the way up to Scandinavia for the Christmas Markets, on this occassion we went into Bruges using the shuttle bus and train, I think that the cost was around 6-7 euros each return. The walk from the train station to the city center took less than 10 minutes along a pleasant path way. The city was very interesting with lots to see. We did not do a canal cruise because it was freezing cold on the day that we were there.

I have also spent time in Brussels on business and as it is only about 40 minutes from Blankenberg by train this is also another possibility for a day out from the ship if you take an early train. The walk from the train stations in Brussels to the city centre are 10 minutes or 15 minutes depending on which station you arrive at, I have never been from Blankenberg so I don't know which station is used.