Good area to look for hotel between DC and Cape Liberty

markeb

We're on the Explorer on June 19th. Thanks to all the wonderful winter weather this year, the 18th, which was going to be our drive day, is now a teacher work day, and we're not sure what time we'll hit the road. We were originally planning on driving up and staying in Elizabeth at the Courtyard, but I'm having second thoughts on that plan and am debating on stopping short along the way.

If we do that, what's going to be far enough along the way to be worthwhile and close enough that we won't get completely caught up in commuter traffic on the NJ turnpike on our way to the ship? Is there such a place? Or should we just suck it up and drive on? I deal with DC traffic all the time, Baltimore and Philly on occasion, but don't have any experience with commuter traffic that close to NYC.

Thanks!

There are a number of hotels just off the turnpike at exits 8 and 8A in Hightstown/East Windsor and Jamesburg/Cranbury. The least expensive is probably the Days Inn at 8 in East Windsor. There is a Marriott Courtyard at 8A in Jamesburg.

My mother lived in this area for many years and our family has stayed in many of these hotels. We always just picked the least expensive "chain" hotel we could find. Hotwire is also an option for a 3*+ hotel.

I cruised from Cape Liberty many times with my mom. We always left exit 8 around 9:30 am and were at Cape Liberty not later than 10:30 without any traffic hassle. The NJ Turnpike is 6 lanes - two sections of 3 lanes in each direction above Exit 8. It can certainly get busy, but traffic moves unless there is an extraordinary event.

Used to live & work (office on K Street, NW & home off Rock Creek Park) inside the Beltway & often do weekend runs up to NYC (Friday nights & Monday predawns) & usually do this solo drive in about 4 hours w. 2 quickie stops (1 for restroom at the DE rest area right on I95 & 1 for gas in NJ approaching NYC, about 2 hours apart) Ppack the insulated coffee mug, snacks to munch while driving & music for the car radio & cruise control for most of the route.

Are you close to the loop (Beltway) in NOVA? Would leave office at 5 for home, do dinner & actually take a quick nap first - weekend bag always packed. Then hit the road at 9PM, avoiding the Capitol rush hour and in those days, and, in view of the old WTC twin towers by 12:30 PM - sometimes a little later if traffic is heavier or weather conditions not favorable, etc. Staying then in parent's spare BR in the Bronx, usually in bed before 2 AM, a little tired but fully rested by next morning & out and about. Traffics on late weekday nights are even better with most commuters gone by 9 PM so it's a better & easier run in the warm June weather.

This can be done very easily with 2 drivers, going with traffic flow & sticking with the speed limit - and you should be checking in at the CY Elizabeth before 1 AM. With this, you don't need to cancel your hotel reservations & any park-n-cruise package and pull off somewhere along I-95 for the night. If you stay near DE/NJ area, you still have to drive another 90 minutes to 2 hours in the mid/late morning with weekday commuters and the (remote) possibilities of a major traffic jam on the Turnpike, IMO.

If, OTOH, further out past Dulles and/or closer to Richmond & looking at 5+ hours of driving time, then I can see doing an overnight stop as 138east/Carol suggested and consider that option - and, park at CL for the duration.

Edited by mking8288

If you want to drive all the way past Philly, look at the Holiday Inn Express in Langhorne, PA. The reason why I know this place is it is near Sesame Place. :) From there it is prob less than 90 minutes to the pier.

The good news is that once you cross the Delaware River, you don't have any crossings to worry about. That is the worst part of NYC commuter traffic.

Given that the hotels near exits 8 and 8A are less than an hour's drive to Cape Liberty, IMO it doesn't make much sense to stay there. At that point you might just as well continue on to the Courtyard in Elizabeth if that's your preferred hotel. I drive between the DC suburbs and my home (which is near NJ Turnpike exit 8) all the time with just one brief rest/refreshment stop on I 95 in either DE or MD, but wouldn't have any difficulty continuing another 40-45 minutes to Elizabeth. In the end it wouldn't make a great deal of difference whether you stay near exit 8 or in Elizabeth.

Staying in Langhorne, PA as one poster suggested, doesn't seem to make any sense because at no point should you be driving through PA or the Langhorne area. That would be going well out of your way and unnecessarily taking you through the Philadelphia area.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks. That more or less confirms what I thought.

We're unfortunately 30 miles (read 45-60 minutes) south of DC, and have been suffering random acts of construction in the evenings. We'll probably just take off when we can (after the evening rush) and get there when we do, taking our time. I don't plan on going in to work that day, but the wife will. But, the next day we'll be on a cruise...

We may check the exit 8 area as a fall back, especially if we are in heavy construction season.

Thanks. That more or less confirms what I thought.

We're unfortunately 30 miles (read 45-60 minutes) south of DC, and have been suffering random acts of construction in the evenings. We'll probably just take off when we can (after the evening rush) and get there when we do, taking our time. I don't plan on going in to work that day, but the wife will. But, the next day we'll be on a cruise...

We may check the exit 8 area as a fall back, especially if we are in heavy construction season.

There are new hotels off of exit 7A as well. (Hilton Garden Inn of Hamilton, Hampton Inn in Robbinsville)

Given that the hotels near exits 8 and 8A are less than an hour's drive to Cape Liberty, IMO it doesn't make much sense to stay there. At that point you might just as well continue on to the Courtyard in Elizabeth if that's your preferred hotel. I drive between the DC suburbs and my home (which is near NJ Turnpike exit 8) all the time with just one brief rest/refreshment stop on I 95 in either DE or MD, but wouldn't have any difficulty continuing another 40-45 minutes to Elizabeth. In the end it wouldn't make a great deal of difference whether you stay near exit 8 or in Elizabeth.

Staying in Langhorne, PA as one poster suggested, doesn't seem to make any sense because at no point should you be driving through PA or the Langhorne area. That would be going well out of your way and unnecessarily taking you through the Philadelphia area.

Well, hello there njhorseman, We're neighbors! :)

Well, hello there njhorseman, We're neighbors! :)

I'm surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be, about how many times we've run into people who live nearby while we're on a cruise. Sometimes it's even someone we know. What's really going to be scary is if we run into someone we know at Cruise Critic member Meet and Mingle. I can picture it now. Someone who's a neighbor that I've butted heads with saying "You're njhorseman??!!" (Followed by a few choice words that we're not allowed to post here.) :D

I'm surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be, about how many times we've run into people who live nearby while we're on a cruise. Sometimes it's even someone we know. What's really going to be scary is if we run into someone we know at Cruise Critic member Meet and Mingle. I can picture it now. Someone who's a neighbor that I've butted heads with saying "You're njhorseman??!!" (Followed by a few choice words that we're not allowed to post here.) :D

No, I dont think we're true neighbors. I know part of our area is horse country, but I dont know anyone personally with horses. We have have run into neighbors though! Our daughters high school friend and his family. Small world! :):D

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ