best thing at Mongolian Wok?

brymern

I've been on 4 cruises with Mongolian Woks and never tried it. I see people rave about it on the boards, so I'm thinking I should give it a try during our upcoming trip in July. So, here's a fun question: what do you put in your bowl to have cooked up? What is your favorite combination of ingredients?

I've been resistant to trying it for two reasons. One, the line is often very long. And, two, I'm not an Iron Chef and can't come up with a delicacy from random ingredients presented to me minutes before the dish is prepared. It seems more logical to just take something from the buffet that has been thoroughly tested to be delicious. Anyone else feel like this?

I've done it on the Dream 2 different cruises. Honestly it's simply a matter of taste. Pick veges you like, meat and sauce you like and you are all set. But if the line looks even a bit long don't waste your time. It's good but very very slow moving line. I considered getting out of line numerous times and the. Kept thinking I had past the point of no return. Only to realize I still had a long wait.

I finally tried the Mongolian Wok on my last cruise and I loved it! Like the previous poster said, it's all a matter of your personal taste. Just pick things that you like and you'll be good to go. I load mine down with broccoli and corn..yummy! As for the long line, it moves pretty quickly. I never waited for more than 10 minutes. Be patient, they are making everyone's food right in front of you. It is definitely worth the wait and (I think) it's much better than the food at the buffet!

My only suggestion for the wok is to not get it any hotter than you will like. There are 3 different kind of sauces and I thought I would like it very spicy because most things are too bland on the ship, but the hottest sauce was too hot for me and I ended up going to get other food.

My only suggestion for the wok is to not get it any hotter than you will like. There are 3 different kind of sauces and I thought I would like it very spicy because most things are too bland on the ship, but the hottest sauce was too hot for me and I ended up going to get other food.

I totally agree with this! I love things very spicy, but the hottest sauce was just the kind of hot that makes it the only thing you taste. I had it another day with the medium sauce and it was a lot better.

As for what to get, it's totally up to you. They'll have all typical stir fry veggies, two or three different kinds of noodles, and three different proteins every day.

I love Mongolian Wok. I prefer the rice noodles over the soba style noodles (sometimes they have both, other times they have one or the other). I always load mine up with corn, mushrooms, lots of onion, bean sprouts and spinach. I prefer chicken or beef. As far as the sauce, the szechwan is the hottest, but I prefer it over the thai bbq (green sauce) and the black bean sauce. Now, I am by NO MEANS, a spice baby; I love spicy foods. However, this sauce is extremely hot, so much so, that even the smoke from cooking make everyone in line start to cough. IT IS HOT! Ask for just a little tiny bit of the szechwan, even if you think you like spicy, sauce and they will add more cooking liquid to make up the difference. It really is delicious.

First time...do the mildest sauce, then work your way up on future business

In terms of the line...experience cruisers will line up about 10-15 minutes before it opens (have a very light breakfast) or 10-15 minutes before it's schedule to close on sea days

Days that you are in port, check to make sure it's open and go anytime

I am an absolute spicy food lover.

Sriracha is like ketchup to me.

I believe I ate at the Wok twice in the Paradise and it was very good, both times.

The lines were long but worth it on those sailing days where all it feels like I do is eat :cool:

Do they only offer three different sauce options? And do they offer brown rice or just noodles? And they have just three choices of meats?

We have never eaten there on a ship because of the long lines but am planning to try it on the dream in April. We have an awesome Mongolian place in our town and they have a variety of sauces (probably 15 or more), which is nice because I'm picky about sauces. I finally found a honey sauce I liked, but if they only offer three sauces on the ship then I doubt they have a similar one. Im spoiled by eating at our local one!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have had Mongolian Wok every day I've been on a ship that offers it. I will wait in a line of any length in order to get MWok instead of buffet food. It is SO fresh and delicious!

There are always three proteins available, and they rotate. I have never seen a day when chicken was not available. Usually it's chicken, beef, and some kind of seafood... occasionally pork replaces beef. The seafood options range from salmon to calamari to mussels and I don't remember what else.

You can't go wrong putting your own bowl together... pick the veggies you like and enjoy! The three sauces, from mild to hot, are black bean, thai BBQ, and szechwan. I'm not a spicehound, so I usually opt for half black bean, half thai BBQ (it's a yummy mix!).

My favorite: rice noodles, tons of bean sprouts and snap peas, plus broccoli, onion, cauliflower, mushrooms, and spinach. YUM. I don't like carrots or peas in mine (personal preference).

And now I'm ready to jump on a ship and have MWok. Hmmmmm, the Inspiration is in port 20 miles from here right now.... ;)

First time...do the mildest sauce, then work your way up on future business

In terms of the line...experience cruisers will line up about 10-15 minutes before it opens (have a very light breakfast) or 10-15 minutes before it's schedule to close on sea days

Days that you are in port, check to make sure it's open and go anytime

Well this is just wrong to have a light breakfast... Wok doesn't open until 11... So, breakfast at 8 (or earlier), and you have plenty of time to have a full breakfast.... OK, maybe this is just me, though by 8, I have had 2 breakfasts and a snack before lunch... :)

It's all good! If you are really hard pressed to decide or just have no preference, while you are standing there in line get to know your neighbor and ask them to make something up for you. It's an icebreaker for sure, right??

The really bad thing about the wok is the smoke. I remember really really hoping no one would order the hot sauce. The smoke from the hot sauce is like pepper spray...and then everyone is coughing, even the tough guys like me who try to act like it wasn't affecting me. Then I get up there with my teary red eyes and order the hot sauce even knowing it's too hot for me, cuz I'm tough like that.

Oh, and you'll be hungry again in an hour...

Edited by Davey Wavey

I guess spicy is relative because I always get the szechuan sauce and I always complain that it is not spicy enough. I love the Mongolian Wok because it is one of the healthiest lunch items available. I get carrots, onions, bok choy, sprouts and chicken with extra szechuan sauce. That was the only thing we had for lunch a couple years ago.

I loved the wok. Only tried it on embarkation day due to the lines and so many other options.

The spiciest was also too spicy for me. I got it on the recommendation of a nice Asian lady in line beside me. It was really too hot for me to eat and I ended up at fish n chips. Next time I will go with the black beam sauce.

I really didn't put a lot in mine, bean sprouts, broccoli, carrots, onions and chicken and shrimp.

Can you get it with just noodles and meat? I would like to try this, but I don't do veggies.

Yes, you get to choose all the ingredients for it. I am not a veggie person either and do the wok once or twice a cruise

yeah those sauces don't sound great to me either....I prefer a sweet sour sauce or a soy and beef broth sauce. Nothing really spicy for me.....but would like to try it in a couple weeks.

Edited by Joie

I like to put in mostly vegetables, with extra mushrooms. A small amount of rice noodles. The sauces I use are half Thai bbq sauce and half black bean. I believe the Thai bbq sauce is on the spicey side so mixing in the black bean sauce make it more on the mild side.:cool:

I have only had the wok on embarkation day. It is usually my first meal of my cruise and usually I am not willing to wait in the lines any other days. It is delicious though. I love the noodles, veggies and the mild sauce. So fresh and healthy for you. I wish the lines would move faster. I am shocked that some people wait so long.