Bread Pudding??

doone

Every cruise we've been on in the last few years, there has been bread pudding. IMHO not nearly as good as it once was. I have the recipe from 1999 and it is substantially different from one that was posted here a couple of years ago. I now find it a "waste of calories", having experienced the other, less recent one. Having said that though, the current one seems consistent, so if your memory of the bread pudding is from the last few years, you'll probably find it just as good now as you remember.

It was on the Noordam last week. During the 48 hour code orange period, you have to ask for it at the ice cream station. After that it's in it's own little alcove in the Lido Resraurant.

The bread pudding has been outstanding on every one of our cruises. Ships, after Code Orange, have it in different places in the Lido Restaurant. You may need to ask the Dessert Station folks.

Haven't sailed HAL in years. What is Code Orange?

If memory serves me correctly, the bread pudding is served in the Lido almost daily. I think we sampled three or four slightly different variations during our last cruise on the Amsterdam. It is very similar to what mother used to make!!

Haven't sailed HAL in years. What is Code Orange?

Code Orange is only done in the Lido for the first 48 hours.

You can not touch anything -- you can't even get your own water, coffee, tea, juice -- nothing.

You will not see salt and pepper shakers on the tables -- you have to ask for the packets on most of the ships.

This is done to help keep the ship from people coming on board with the possibility of having the Noro Virus.

I allow myself one serving of bread pudding a cruise. No matter if it is changed a little, it still has many calories that I do not need. Since Code Orange started, I avoid the pudding the first two days. Sometimes I wonder if the taste is a little different in different parts of the tray.

Not a fan of the bread pudding. Not at all like it was when I started sailing HAL in 1990.

I totally agree. I started in 1994, intro'd a friend to HAL in 1999, and we both think the current bread pudding is not close to what it once was. I still make the "old" recipe at home on occasion, so my memory gets refreshed on what the "old" recipe tasted like :D

It's WONDERFUL -and the vanilla sauce is to DIE for!!!!!!!!!;)

Mine is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Waryman