Private tour operator carte blanche?

OldBoot

How directive are you when booking private shore excursions? This is my first time using non-ship excursions. I am really expecting to leave the itinerary in the hands of the tour operator instead of being directive with what I want to see. Thoughts or advice?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

I tend to have a very specific list of what I want to see -- but that's because of my heavy interest in Roman history and remains.

While you can certainly leave decisions about what to see up to your guide or driver, do be aware that unless you specify otherwise, you may get taken to a "shopping opportunity" (e.g., ceramic factory, cameo factory, wood box factory, etc.) where your guide gets a kickback. If you have no interest in stops like these, it's really best to let them know in advance, otherwise it will waste time that could be spent seeing other things.

agree with cruisemom if you are not interested in shopping ,long lunches etc you may find yourself herded in that direction and then an awkward situation where you either go along with it and resent the waste of time or have to confront the guide

best to clarify upfront exactly what you want out of the tour