Vouchers for drinks

Theodorable

If there are lots of Elites on the ship and you are given the 3 drinks vouchers mentioned in another post, do you have to use them within a certain time e.g. 5-7pm, or can you use them throughout the evening?

Thanks

Nicola

5-7 and while a few weeks ago they were good for any drink within the Classic package price points it has recently reverted to ONLY the drinks on the Captains Club menu can be ordered using the vouchers.

Last month we could get margaritas, this cruise not.

The most recent iteration of the vouchers we had on the Century last week were only good from 5-7 pm, had our name and date printed on each, and only worked for items on the captain's club menu. They put out the CC menu in the major bars on the tables as well.

If you went to the CC lounge (Crystal Room) during the happy hour, you needed to use the vouchers in there as well.

Thanks everyone. With the vouchers it means I can rake a glass of wine into the dining room with me as Even I couldn't drink 3 glasses from 5 -6pm which is when our dinner is. As my cruise is a repo from Hawaii to Sydney, it will be interesting to see how many Elites will be on board. I hope we get to use the vouchers.

Nicola

Thanks everyone. With the vouchers it means I can rake a glass of wine into the dining room with me as Even I couldn't drink 3 glasses from 5 -6pm which is when our dinner is. As my cruise is a repo from Hawaii to Sydney, it will be interesting to see how many Elites will be on board. I hope we get to use the vouchers.

Nicola

I enjoy the vouchers and having the flexibility.

I do bring a glass of wine to dinner.

Monica

Just curious but there was a post a few weeks back where a poster was talking to someone "in the know" who said they were eliminating the vouchers. Has anyone been on a cruise recently where the vouchers were actually used. Last month or so.

Edited by dkjretired

They were on the Century, 23 Feb sailing. There were 500+ elites and higher. According to the CC hostess, they tried to not use them on the previous sailing (which also had the same number of elites) but the Crystal Room was overflowing so they did the vouchers on the next sailing.

I hate to complain about something that is free, however, why does X put so many stipulations on every one of their programs. One example is the drink package; there must be 50 threads on what's included in each package, does it cover lattes here or there, what about a bottle of water, does it cover an $8.50 wine, etc. Same with the Elite vouchers; these impact the very best customers on a so-called elegant cruise line. You can use them at some bars, for 2 specific hours, for a very limited assortment of drinks and the rules seem to change about every 6 weeks.

If you want a $10 martini or a frozen drink, the voucher is useless.

The whole experience is made to seem MickeyMouse-like. What wrong with giving Elites 2 or 3 drinks of their choice each evening and making the program simple yet rewarding. After all, we are dealing with adults.

Sorry for rambling but I am getting tired of all the nit-picking rules.

I hate to complain about something that is free, however, why does X put so many stipulations on every one of their programs. One example is the drink package; there must be 50 threads on what's included in each package, does it cover lattes here or there, what about a bottle of water, does it cover an $8.50 wine, etc. Same with the Elite vouchers; these impact the very best customers on a so-called elegant cruise line. You can use them at some bars, for 2 specific hours, for a very limited assortment of drinks and the rules seem to change about every 6 weeks.

If you want a $10 martini or a frozen drink, the voucher is useless.

The whole experience is made to seem MickeyMouse-like. What wrong with giving Elites 2 or 3 drinks of their choice each evening and making the program simple yet rewarding. After all, we are dealing with adults.

Sorry for rambling but I am getting tired of all the nit-picking rules.

Historically, Celebrity has had a limited menu of pretty basic drinks at all complimentary functions. I have no problem with this as I think it great for them to offer anything at all.

This menu was extended to the Captain's Club Social Hour when it was introduced a few years back and is still the core complimentary menu for it although they've experimented with a couple other options on some cruises to streamline things. I think it is a great perk and don't think it is stingy nor bad of them in any way to limit these complimentary drinks to that menu. Members have a choice of sticking with this menu for complimentary drinks or buying their own drinks if they want something different. Personally, I usually buy my own drink. I usually have only one before dinner drink and I'd prefer it to be a premium type of wine or spirits. Again, I have no issue with this.

As for the threads on the beverage packages, the rules are pretty straight forward for most items. There is a great amount of interest in these packages. Like any other area which is of very high interest to cruisers, there is a lot of discussion about the packages as people not only find out about what they include but also post to savor the anticipation of their cruise. Again I have no issue with the fact that there are two different packages and that the higher priced package covers things the lower priced package does not. There is no reason for someone who doesn't want the premium items to pay the same as people who do and you can't have two different level packages without some "stipulations" to define where one package ends and the other begins.

The only thing I'll agree totally about is the confusion over coffees. I've always felt that the terms "premium" vs. "specialty" coffees were something made up by some marking staff writer and was never really defined for anyone. The use of these undefined terms has led to both differing interpretations by staff on different ships and confusion for new cruisers over exactly what is included. Celebrity could do a much better job of clearing this up by changing a couple words or a sentence in the package descriptions.

Edited by Lsimon

Historically, Celebrity has had a limited menu of pretty basic drinks at all complimentary functions. I have no problem with this as I think it great for them to offer anything at all.

This menu was extended to the Captain's Club Social Hour when it was introduced a few years back and is still the core complimentary menu for it although they've experimented with a couple other options on some cruises to streamline things. I think it is a great perk and don't think it is stingy nor bad of them in any way to limit these complimentary drinks to that menu. Members have a choice of sticking with this menu for complimentary drinks or buying their own drinks if they want something different. Personally, I usually buy my own drink. I usually have only one before dinner drink and I'd prefer it to be a premium type of wine or spirits. Again, I have no issue with this.

As for the threads on the beverage packages, the rules are pretty straight forward for most items. There is a great amount of interest in these packages. Like any other area which is of very high interest to cruisers, there is a lot of discussion about the packages as people not only find out about what they include but also post to savor the anticipation of their cruise. Again I have no issue with the fact that there are two different packages and that the higher priced package covers things the lower priced package does not. There is no reason for someone who doesn't want the premium items to pay the same as people who do and you can't have two different level packages without some "stipulations" to define where one package ends and the other begins.

The only thing I'll agree totally about is the confusion over coffees. I've always felt that the terms "premium" vs. "specialty" coffees were something made up by some marking staff writer and was never really defined for anyone. As a result there has always been some inconsistency between staff on different ships as to how to interpret these. Some mangers include the entire coffee menu for any package and some exclude some of the more elaborate coffee drinks from the classic package. The use of these two undefined terms also leaves some confusion with new Celebrity cruisers over whether the classic packages include basic espresso coffee drinks such as lattes (they do). Celebrity could do a much better job of clearing this up by changing a couple words or a sentence in the package descriptions.

I also don't have any issues with the limited drink menu at the Elite social hour nor do I think their current voucher system is stingy. It is not a money issue, it is a matter of making it easier to sit at any bar I choose and have any drink I want - it is just more flexible. And I do know that option is there simply by paying for the drink, which I usually do.

Nicola

We were on the Hawaii to Sydney cruise last Oct on the Solstice. No tickets given - elite meeting was in the Sky lounge. Very pleasant.

Our transatlantic last April on the Eclipse was the ticket system but we were on the complimentary drinks package so never used them.

Enjoy your cruise - amazing

does anybody have the list of captains club drinks that are offered with the vouchers or during cocktail hour. I am not picky but just wondering if my favorite beer is available etc.:D

Look at the second page of ths PDF of the Captain's Club letter from our cruise a year ago on Eclipse:

http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Captains%20Club%20Letter%20-%20Eclipse%20March%202013.pdf

Soon to be elite & just wondering...do they use decent liquor in the mixed drinks? How's the wine? I googled the chardonnay...eek.

There's one white (the chardonnay) and one red (a cabernet) and they're both pretty awful, IMHO. (And I'm someone who can find several wines I enjoy on the Classic package, so not THAT picky...)

There's one white (the chardonnay) and one red (a cabernet) and they're both pretty awful, IMHO. (And I'm someone who can find several wines I enjoy on the Classic package, so not THAT picky...)

I assumed as much! And the mixed drinks? Decent alcohol used?

Soon to be elite & just wondering...do they use decent liquor in the mixed drinks? How's the wine? I googled the chardonnay...eek.

If you look at the link to the menu I posted above (post #16 of this thread) you'll see they list call brands available. These are all what I'd consider the lower end of the call brands on board but I'd consider them decent. If you order one of the mixed drinks I don't know if they use these call brands or lower end bar well stock (if they even use such on board). You can always ask.

If you look at the link to the menu I posted above (post #16 of this thread) you'll see they list call brands available. These are all what I'd consider the lower end of the call brands on board but I'd consider them decent. If you order one of the mixed drinks I don't know if they use these call brands or lower end bar well stock (if they even use such on board). You can always ask.

Thanks Larry. I would assume if they have those brands available, you could get them in a mixed drink. Guess I'll wait & see!

On trip a year or so ago, saw the vodka bottle being used to make bloody marys. Didn't recognize the brand, but noted it down. Later googled it. Writeup indicated it was at least doubled distilled, and was available by the skidload for $3 a bottle in Miami (taxfree of course). Of course, with tomato juice and lots of spices, hard to to what vodka is in there.