Question About Cabin Safes on Eurodam

smoothsailors

I'm almost certain that one of the check out procedures is to zero out the safe 4 digit code. Otherwise how would the arriving guest be able to set the new code?

If this is the scenario, then it matters not whether the safe is left open...or locked...by the departing guest. No?

What am I missing (DH always sets our code so I haven't paid attention).

No. Whatever 4 digit code is put in last is the new combination. Example: preceding guest opens safe with code 1234; new guest arrives, closes door to safe and enter code 4321. The code is then 4321 until changed in a like manner.

We, too, have arrived at our cabin to find the previous guests left it locked. :rolleyes: Why would someone do that? How juvenile. They emptied it and then made the poor purposeful choice to relock it knowing it would inconvenience the arriving guest.
It could be just an unthinking, automatic habit of locking it each time it was closed throughout the cruise.

It was my understanding that the guests leave their safes open and they are reset on embarkation day.

I'm almost certain that one of the check out procedures is to zero out the safe 4 digit code.

The crew doesn't do anything. Each time you lock it a new combination is set, which may or may not be what you used previously. In a sense there is no combination when the door is open. You could think of it as the act of opening the door clearing the code.

Edited by jtl513

It could be just an unthinking, automatic habit of locking it each time it was closed throughout the cruise.

Okay,,,, :)

You and Ruth have convinced me there was no mischief involved when we have found the safe locked upon our arrival in our cabin. I was thinking poorly of those who occupied it ahead of us when I should not have. :o My bad. :p

You and Ruth have convinced me there was no mischief involved when we have found the safe locked upon our arrival in our cabin. I was thinking poorly of those who occupied it ahead of us when I should not have. :o My bad. :p

Or maybe the person who locks it is thinking like kazu and innlady1 were, that the steward opens clears the code for the arriving guests. :)

I think this must happen fairly often, as we've had CDs remind everyone to leave it open.

Edited by jtl513

Or maybe the person who locks it is thinking like kazu and innlady1 were, that the steward opens clears the code for the arriving guests. :)

I think this must happen fairly often, as we've had CDs remind everyone to leave it open.

How would the steward do that? :confused:

They most assuredly do not have the 'tool' which can open the safes.

That would present so much risk for liability/theft.

They cannot know each individual code all the guests in their area used for their safe.

The only one, other than guest, who can open a locked safe is security or very high officer. I cannot concieve any steward would have the ability nor would they want it. Leaves them open to way too many accusations. It would be unfair to them.

How would the steward do that? :confused:

They most assuredly do not have the 'tool' which can open the safes.

That would present so much risk for liability/theft.

They cannot know each individual code all the guests in their area used for their safe.

The only one, other than guest, who can open a locked safe is security or very high officer. I cannot concieve any steward would have the ability nor would they want it. Leaves them open to way too many accusations. It would be unfair to them.

You are correct. I believe only through Guest Services can a locked safe be opened.

All of which doesn't mean that the departing passenger can't mistakenly think the steward clears the combination---which was the point jtl was making.

I tried agreeing with you both. :D

I said "My Bad".

What more can I do/say?

I cannot guess what any guest may or may not be thinking. :eek:

All I can do is agree with you and Jtl.

sail7seas

Okay,,,,

You and Ruth have convinced me there was no mischief involved when we have found the safe locked upon our arrival in our cabin. I was thinking poorly of those who occupied it ahead of us when I should not have. My bad.

A couple of times we have arrived at a cabin to find the safe locked and a couple of times the batteries died.

Some times security came to open the safes and some times a maintenance person came.

I truly do not know who I suppose to come and unlock the safes and/or change batteries. But we were asked to be there when the batteries were changed.

No worries! There's no way of telling what might have happened to that/those safe door(s) upon your arrival. We can all speculate 'till the cows come home ;)

The only person who can open a locked safe is the ship's locksmith

""The only person who can open a locked safe is the ship's locksmith "" and from experience I very surely know that to be a fact. LOL (although at the time I wasn't LOL) I messed up the numbers and couldn't get it open.

Edited by boards

""The only person who can open a locked safe is the ship's locksmith "" and from experience I very surely know that to be a fact. LOL (although at the time I wasn't LOL) I messed up the numbers and couldn't get it open.

The combo safes have an automatic fail safe if/when too many invalid/erroneous or sometime, plain forgotten by the user, combinations are entered. The safe will "lock down" as a result. The locksmith will be called under those circumstances and has the training/equipment to be able to open the safe and reset the combo for the cabin's occupant(s)

No worries! There's no way of telling what might have happened to that/those safe door(s) upon your arrival. We can all speculate 'till the cows come home ;)

The only person who can open a locked safe is the ship's locksmith

Security Can't?

Really Interesting.

I was sure Security with a 'witness' could retrieve passports or open a locked safe for a guest upon identification.

Thanks, Copper. :)

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]The only person who can open a locked safe is the ship's locksmith[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]Really? We locked ourselves out once, and when we called a young lady wearing an officer's uniform came quickly and opened it by just pushing buttons. I assumed she had a list of master codes. Is the "ship locksmith" an officer, or hold another position on board?