dogs on board

Camelia-

On the owners lap through dinner in the MDR on my last cruise. Lots of room for argument I am sure but assuming it wasn't a fake service dog, did the lady really have to go to the MDR for dinner? If it was a fake service dog, all I can say is what an inconsiderate moron.

Terry

That's what I was afraid of. I don't think I would like to sit at a table with someone with their dog in their lap. However, if they chose to do that, then I can chose to sit elsewhere.

The sad thing is that my mom has had 2 Seeing Eye dogs. They were both trained at the Seeing Eye, Inc. in Morristown, NJ. This is the oldest existing guide dog school in the world (founded in 1929). The dogs were specifically bred at their facility. The dogs spent the first year with a Puppy Home where they orient the dog to all different types of places, environments and transportation. They are allowed to go places as they are service dogs in training. After that, the dog spends a year with a trainer at the Seeing Eye. My mom was then trained for a month on how to use the dog at their facility. This is a top notch facility and is known internationally.

If anyone had seen my mom with her Seeing Eye dog on board, the dog was a true professional. When guiding my mom she was always in her harness and acted professionally. It was obvious what type of dog this was. If anyone approached my mom and asked questions, she would answer them. Every once in awhile I would take the dog on a leash outside at port if my mom wanted to stay in the cabin to nap, or would walk her on the ship, etc.. If anyone asked (and people did), I would just explain that she was my Mom's Seeing Eye dog. Both of her dogs traveled extensively and we were one of the first to bring Seeing Eye dogs onto cruise lines and had been written about in magazines, etc...

I completely understand the concept of Service dogs has expanded and I find it amazing what dogs are being used for now (such as detect seizures before they happen, etc..). Again, these dogs are specifically trained also.

It really does bother me to hear that people are buying certificates over the internet and passing their dogs off as Service dogs when they are not. I find this appalling. The things some people do now a days is so disappointing.

Edited by Coral

And people allergic to dog fur will have a hard time cruising now.

There were so many "Service dogs" on our Hawaii cruise a few months ago. Not trained or well behaved. In Horizon Ct., dog put his paws on table when owner came back with food. Service dog, I think not.

And people allergic to dog fur will have a hard time cruising now.

People will allergies often have problems no matter where they go. I have difficulties with perfume and it is difficult to escape anywhere. Cruises seem even worse than going to the mall.

The sad thing is that my mom has had 2 Seeing Eye dogs. They were both trained at the Seeing Eye, Inc. in Morristown, NJ. This is the oldest existing guide dog school in the world (founded in 1929). The dogs were specifically bred at their facility. The dogs spent the first year with a Puppy Home where they orient the dog to all different types of places, environments and transportation. They are allowed to go places as they are service dogs in training. After that, the dog spends a year with a trainer at the Seeing Eye. My mom was then trained for a month on how to use the dog at their facility. This is a top notch facility and is known internationally.

If anyone had seen my mom with her Seeing Eye dog on board, the dog was a true professional. When guiding my mom she was always in her harness and acted professionally. It was obvious what type of dog this was. If anyone approached my mom and asked questions, she would answer them. Every once in awhile I would take the dog on a leash outside at port if my mom wanted to stay in the cabin to nap, or would walk her on the ship, etc.. If anyone asked (and people did), I would just explain that she was my Mom's Seeing Eye dog. Both of her dogs traveled extensively and we were one of the first to bring Seeing Eye dogs onto cruise lines and had been written about in magazines, etc...

I completely understand the concept of Service dogs has expanded and I find it amazing what dogs are being used for now (such as detect seizures before they happen, etc..). Again, these dogs are specifically trained also.

It really does bother me to hear that people are buying certificates over the internet and passing their dogs off as Service dogs when they are not. I find this appalling. The things some people do now a days is so disappointing.

We were on a Princess cruise last fall and there were a group of about 10 visually impaired people who had seeing eye dogs. They truly were magnificent, highly trained and specialized animals.

It was amazing to watch how they helped their owners navigate the ship, go on excursions and walk-in foreign places. They were flawlessly obedient and never sought attention from anyone. I had the utmost respect for everyone involved and it was obvious that they provided a true service.

It was a far cry from two ladies on the same ship who had toy poodles that yelped, ran after people, begged for food when they were eating and always seemed to be seeking attention. They were labeled as service animals too but there was a significant difference from what were true service animals and those that seemed like fakes. Hopefully the ADA laws will become more restrictive as more abuse of this important law seems to be violated by people who just want to travel with their pets.

There was a service dog on the Royal in October, which was the first time I had ever seen one on a ship. The dog had been so many cruises, that Princess gave the dog its own name tag which it wore pinned to its doggie shirt.

Hmm, I wonder what the protocol is when one of these fake service dogs lays a deposit on the floor next to the table in the MDR.:eek: Does the owner clean it up or the waiting staff?

Not long ago a CC member reported that she stepped in a deposit that was still in her cabin.

Bob

The ADA was well-intentioned but the way it was written has allowed for a lot of fraud. Businesses need to be able to ask for proof that a dog is a service dog, and there needs to be some sort of formalization of the certification process. As it is service dogs and their owners CAN be evicted from a business if the dog is behaving inappropriately, such as growling or snapping at someone. But as others have pointed out, TRUE service dogs would almost never behave that way...unless, perhaps, their owner was being threatened.

As a veterinarian I've been asked several times to write a service dog certification. I always decline, saying that I am not qualified to determine whether the owner needs a service dog. Sadly, there are unethical doctors and therapists out there who will write such certifications for people who do not need them. And that encourages more fraud, and diminishes the ability of people who TRULY need the dogs, especially those people whose disablities are not visible, to be taken seriously.

Service dogs are distinct from therapy dogs (although a dog could be both). Service dogs provide some sort of service for their owners, whether it's guidance for the blind, or seizure alerts, or whatever. Therapy dogs go to facilities like hospices and nursing homes to visit people.

A couple of years ago we were on a Princess ship, can't remember which one and a passenger had a yelping and irritating little dog. I have the utmost respect for service dogs but this was no service dog. The dog barked and caused a lot of noise. I think the requirements for bringing an animal onboard probably need to be looked at more carefully.

As a dog lover and service dog supporter, I read this thread with great interest. I want to commend most posters--very often these types of boards often degenerate into pure vitriol. That hasn't happened here for the most part.

It is tragic when people take advantage of someone's misfortune for their own gain. This sadly happens all too often, google stories on Disney and people pretending to be disabled to skip lines!!! I can only agree with the poster who simply said, karma.

I do want to remind everyone not to make hast judgments regarding the dog and/or the nature of the disability. I was dining at a fancy restaurant, when a woman came in with a lap size dog. This was surprising to me. The dog was incredibly well behaved and at the end of the meal, I complimented the owner. The owner was hearing impaired. She was more than happy to talk about how the dog was trained to alert her to sounds like the fire alarm or a telephone. The dog had been trained to sit quietly at her feet while she ate.

An observer would never had known. While the dog had a service dog harness, the owner spoke clearly (albeit with some slurring) and walked/saw easily. There were no outward signs of a disability and the dog was too small to be a guide dog. Yet the dog was vital to this person's life.

I cannot comment on this poster's experience. As many have indicated already, the growling is an issue. What troubles me was the initial description of the dog's size, as that seems irrelevant. Service dogs come in all shapes and sizes. I can only remind posters not to make a hasty judgements based on appearances, for both dogs and owners.

The only dogs I have seen on Princess ships have been seeing-eye dogs with their blind owners. On one ship, the man was dining (Traditional) near us, and the dog sat next to him totally calm and quiet. The dog even tried to ignore people who stopped to talk to him.

How prevalent are these "troublesome" dogs anyway? Is there a surge in their numbers I haven't noticed yet?

Edited by shredie

This is not possible by Princess. Princess has to allow them.

Princess can refuse an animal under the ADA based on the following rule:

A business may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from their facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.

For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. :cool:

Princess can refuse an animal under the ADA based on the following rule:

A business may exclude any animal, including a service animal, from their facility when that animal's behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.

For example, any service animal that displays vicious behavior towards other guests or customers may be excluded. :cool:

Obviously,, however.......

They would not know that until they are onboard.

Sure they have the right to kick the dog off after it offends.

They do it with passengers too especially if they bite.

They have to let the dog onboard.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Obviously,, however.......

They would not know that until they are onboard.

Sure they have the right to kick the dog off after it offends.

They do it with passengers too especially if they bite.

They have to let the dog onboard.

Princess makes any passenger bringing a Service Animal onboard, sign a form with rules that must be abided (must provide food, must not be fed in public areas, must keep them out of pool area, maintain control, be on a leash or harness in public places, make sure they behave, not pose a threat to others, responsible for them and any damages/expenses they causes, etc...). They didn't used to do it and when I first received the new language, I was offended as I had never had to do this for anything ever previously (and since, only have had to do this for the cruise line). I was offended as Service Animals are professionals and do behave very well in public. After reading reports on CC, I now understand why they do this. I wish there was a way so that legitimate service dogs stand out in paperwork so that the "fake ones" won't be allowed onboard.

There is also a statement that says the passenger and or the service animal may be removed from the ship or confined to non-public areas if the animal displays aggressive or inappropriate behavior. Though, like misbehaving individuals onboard, it is only done when the conduct is extreme.

Edited by Coral

Princess makes any passenger bringing a Service Animal onboard, sign a form with rules that must be abided (must provide food, must not be fed in public areas, must keep them out of pool area, maintain control, be on a leash or harness in public places, make sure they behave, not pose a threat to others, responsible for them and any damages/expenses they causes, etc...). They didn't used to do it and when I first received the new language, I was offended as I had never had to do this for anything ever previously (and since, only have had to do this for the cruise line). I was offended as Service Animals are professionals and do behave very well in public. After reading reports on CC, I know understand why they do this. I wish there was a way so that legitimate service dogs stand out in paperwork so that the "fake ones" won't be allowed onboard.

There is also a statement that says the passenger and or the service animal may be removed from the ship or confined to non-public areas if the animal displays aggressive or inappropriate behavior. Though, like misbehaving individuals onboard, it is only done when the conduct is extreme.

Sound alot like the passenger contract. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Right you are. There are Service Animals then there are "service animals" wink-wink.:eek::D

Exactly! And we wonder why some countries are under the impression that Americans are selfish and demanding. Since most of us are not like the wink wink people, I find them extremely annoying.

Anxiety dogs? Take Xanax. Hypoglycemia dogs? Get a glucometer, avoid alcohol and eat regular meals. Etc, etc. Ridiculous!

For the blind and severely hearing impaired it's different.

Maybe those who need to use service animals should be made to wear a sign, stating their illness or handicap. Like “I have epilepsy”, “I have PTSD”, “I’m deaf”, “I’m diabetic”, etc. Anything can be abused including sneaking more wine on board then you’re allowed, jeans in the dining room, or bringing non-elite friends into the priority boarding and private lounges.

There's no question that the dog should be well-behaved but if you don’t know what was going on, don’t be so quick to condemn it or the person who needs it.

For those of you who advocate throwing a helpless dog overboard to certain death, shame on you!