Hotel in Barcelona

sissykim

I am deciding between hotel jazz and europark hotels in Barcelona. They are both owned by the same group. Any advice? Which location is better, or more convenient to sights and transportation.

Thanks!

I love the Eixample -- the location of the Europark hotel -- and can't stand the noise, chaos, inflated restaurant prices, and high risk of petty crime on/near La Rambla. For every person who shares my point of view, you'll find another poster who thinks I'm nuts.

The Hotel Jazz may be far enough away from La Rambla to satisfy even me. At any rate, I recommend you read a bit more about what it means to stay on/near La Rambla so you can filter what others have to say about both your options.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Hello...We are going on our first European Cruise next May 3rd, 2015. We plan to stay pre-cruise for two nights before the cruise which would be May 1st and 2nd.

Was checking Hotel Jazz, 1898 Hotel, Hotel Arts, and Europark Hotel. Seems like some are already sold out for our dates, while a couple of the others say rooms starting at $179 per night, then when I click to possibly reserve a room, they all seem to be between $500 and $625 per night.

I am not saying I'm cheap, and if the room rate in Barcelona for these decent hotels is that rate, that is fine. I'm just wondering if that sounds right based on the rates some of you have experienced, or, are the rates showing high since we are 12 months out, and maybe I should wait another month or two to book.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Hello...We are going on our first European Cruise next May 3rd, 2015... Was checking Hotel Jazz, 1898 Hotel, Hotel Arts, and Europark Hotel. Seems like some are already sold out for our dates, while a couple of the others say rooms starting at $179 per night, then when I click to possibly reserve a room, they all seem to be between $500 and $625 per night

You didn't say where you have been doing the checking. If you've looked at the hotel booking web sites, you are much, much too early for them to have any information about May 2015. The only place to get information one year in advance is to contact each hotel directly.

European hotels with lots of experience dealing with Americans will already have determined their May 2015 rates. European hotels with larger percentages of European guests -- who don't book so far in advance because they aren't involved with trans-Atlantic flight arrangements -- will either 1) tell you to write back closer to the date or 2) ignore you completely.

I've found that the rate the hotel quotes directly to customers is close to and frequently beats the price offered by booking sites. Above all, I prefer to deal directly with the hotel. On the rare occasions when a problem has developed, I feel it has been easier to resolve the issue when I can refer to emails directly with the hotel. Dealing with a middle man booking agent opens the door for finger pointing and may slow down the resolution of the problem.

Those high prices are probably the current rack rates. The booking sites know they're sure not to lose any money if they can persuade someone to book at the full rack rate.

Thanks for the help. I have gone to the hotel websites directly, and to Expedia.

On both the hotel website and Expedia, The Hotel Jazz shows as being sold out for May 1st and 2nd of 2015. When I went to the other hotel websites such as Hotel Arts, Hotel 1898, Hotel Europark, and one other, plus, also checked on Expedia, the hotel sites showed all rooms as 400 to 650 Euros per night, and on Expedia, it showed all of those places as $350 to over $500 per night.

When I look at some of the postings, many have said they paid between $179 to 300 per night.

As you said, maybe these prices on both the websites and Expedia are not accurate because it is so far in advance. Never having done Europe, I'm just trying to get a better handle on what hotel to star at, the prices per night, and, when we should try and book.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help. I have gone to the hotel websites directly, and to Expedia.

With this new information, it appears that the standard answer -- too soon -- doesn't apply. It appears that folks who plan even farther in advance than you do have cleaned out the hotel's room inventory at a lower price. I recommend you write the hotels directly, accepting that it is likely that the hotels really are sold out for those dates.

I'm going to recommend you look at Trip Advisor to see if there are other hotels that appeal to you and come back to ask more about them.

If you have any hotel affinity memberships, consider using them. The Marriott has a fabulous hotel, Renaissance Barcelona Hotel, in the Eixample neighborhood. It's part of their Renaissance chain; we've used points to stay in this lovely hotel at reduced rates.

Thanks Again...It is funny how on Trip Advisor, it has a box that says "click" for rates. Then, when you do that, it will only let you book through Aprils 1st of 2015.

When you go to Expedia, it is posting rates and letting you book through May of 2015, and, so are many of the hotel websites directly.

I guess it is the learning process of booking hotels, and it would seem most people are now booking rooms and cruises even further out than one year.

It is only new to us, because most of the cruises we have done over the years, haven't involved any over night stays in large cities.

Hello...We are going on our first European Cruise next May 3rd, 2015. We plan to stay pre-cruise for two nights before the cruise which would be May 1st and 2nd.

Was checking Hotel Jazz, 1898 Hotel, Hotel Arts, and Europark Hotel. Seems like some are already sold out for our dates, while a couple of the others say rooms starting at $179 per night, then when I click to possibly reserve a room, they all seem to be between $500 and $625 per night.

I am not saying I'm cheap, and if the room rate in Barcelona for these decent hotels is that rate, that is fine. I'm just wondering if that sounds right based on the rates some of you have experienced, or, are the rates showing high since we are 12 months out, and maybe I should wait another month or two to book.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

Dave,

We have stayed in Barcelona twice. The hotels mentioned on the website tend to run in excess of $200+ per night.

If you are looking for a nice 3 star for less than $100 per night, I suggest going to the diagonal area, about a mile inland from where the others are located.

We stated at the Hotel Astoria, not real far from the diagonal METRO. Price was less than 70 Euros per night. They have an excellent breakfast and if you want lunch there it is not bad at all.

For more hotels, check the venere.com website.

Thanks Again...It is funny how on Trip Advisor, it has a box that says "click" for rates. Then, when you do that, it will only let you book through Aprils 1st of 2015.

When you go to Expedia, it is posting rates and letting you book through May of 2015, and, so are many of the hotel websites directly.

I guess it is the learning process of booking hotels, and it would seem most people are now booking rooms and cruises even further out than one year.

It is only new to us, because most of the cruises we have done over the years, haven't involved any over night stays in large cities.

It was my experience last year that many hotels showed sold out if I tried to book a hotel through its on-line res system more than a year in advance. Then when I contacted the hotels directly (via email) it turned out that they weren't accepting reservations on-line that far out, and they had plenty of rooms available. You might try emailing any hotel you're particularly interested in to see if they are truly sold out.

. Then when I contacted the hotels directly (via email) it turned out that they weren't accepting reservations on-line that far out, and they had plenty of rooms available..

BINGO! YES! This is the info Dave needs to know. We have been to BCN twice and found this to be the process to get a room as well as get the best pricing early on. Even before they list their openiings, most hotels will book with you via email with rates that will be lower than if you wait to book somewhere else. Most include a light breakfast.

And yes some hotels show there are no openings when you look at their sites way in advance. But when you communicate via email you will find out indeed there are rooms. They just don't start booking so early and want to get thru the summer before booking too far ahead.

We have used Hotel Jazz twice. Very nice. And no it is not loud or on Las Ramblas. It is perfect for being near enough but not in the middle of the crowds and noise that some hotels are. Too you can take the airport bus to Cat. Square and walk to the hotel from there. Easy 3 blocks or so.

I would not choose an area where you will need to take transportation everywhere you want to go. If you stay nearer Cat. Square/Las Ramblas/Gothic areas, you can see much on foot. And for a short couple days, you want to be on foot as much as possible to take it all in. You might want to do the hop on/off bus to see all the areas and get you to Sagrada or Park Gruell. Or use the metro or quick cab ride.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/ Use this guide for maps and hotel locations.

Edited by eandj

I would ask the hotel directly when they start taking reservations for your dates and book early. We are going to be on a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona this september and there is a large medical convention in town that week. Many people on the cruise RC who waited even nine months out are now scrambling to find accommodations or pay a reasonable price for a room in a good location for tourists.

It will be our third trip to Barcelona. Although not a budget hotel, we love the Casa Camper--great service and location, all rooms have a bedroom and a separate sitting room, they have an amazing breakfast and snacks available 24 hrs a day included in the price. And consistently great reviews on trip advisor.

BINGO! YES! This is the info Dave needs to know. We have been to BCN twice and found this to be the process to get a room as well as get the best pricing early on. Even before they list their openiings, most hotels will book with you via email with rates that will be lower than if you wait to book somewhere else. Most include a light breakfast.

And yes some hotels show there are no openings when you look at their sites way in advance. But when you communicate via email you will find out indeed there are rooms. They just don't start booking so early and want to get thru the summer before booking too far ahead.

We have used Hotel Jazz twice. Very nice. And no it is not loud or on Las Ramblas. It is perfect for being near enough but not in the middle of the crowds and noise that some hotels are. Too you can take the airport bus to Cat. Square and walk to the hotel from there. Easy 3 blocks or so.

I would not choose an area where you will need to take transportation everywhere you want to go. If you stay nearer Cat. Square/Las Ramblas/Gothic areas, you can see much on foot. And for a short couple days, you want to be on foot as much as possible to take it all in. You might want to do the hop on/off bus to see all the areas and get you to Sagrada or Park Gruell. Or use the metro or quick cab ride.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/ Use this guide for maps and hotel locations.

How much did you pay at Hotel Jazz?

We did buy waters, soda, wine at the shop in the port terminal.

I am glad to see this - I was wondering where we could pick up some wine before boarding, and knowing we can purchase wine at the port terminal means we don't have to worry about packing it in our carry-ons for the ride to the ship. Thanks for the info!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have booked Hotel Atlantis Barcelona for this September pre and post cruise. It is located near Hotel Jazz and offers more reasonable prices. It was recommended by someone on my last cruise. Some nights in September are already or nearly sold out.

I have booked Hotel Atlantis Barcelona for this September pre and post cruise. It is located near Hotel Jazz and offers more reasonable prices. It was recommended by someone on my last cruise. Some nights in September are already or nearly sold out.

At the end of September a lot of hotels will sold out because of La Mercè - Barcelona's biggest festival.

Anyone planning on staying in Barcelona around the 24th September needs to book their hotel well in advance.

At the end of September a lot of hotels will sold out because of La Mercè - Barcelona's biggest festival.

Anyone planning on staying in Barcelona around the 24th September needs to book their hotel well in advance.

Interesting...we were in Barcelona last July for three nights pre-cruise and the cruise we are doing this year ends in Barcelona in the above timeframe..I priced the same hotel we stayed in, and the rate is more than 50% higher so we are staying elsewhere!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We will be cruising next May 3rd out of Barcelona and we can reserve our hotel even this far out at our two choices.

We are thinking about the Hotel Jazz and the 1898.

Can anyone comment on the pluses and minuses of each hotel, if, you have knowledge of both, or, any other hotel.

Concerned about condition of hotel and rooms, proximity to what many consider must see and do things, etc.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

With 6 of us travelling together we decided to check out apartments seeing as finding rooms to accommodate us was proving a little difficult. In the end we are renting a 4 bedroom 1,000sq ft apartment in Eixample. Nightly rate is about $200 with a min of 3 nights. Apartments are another option too.

Thanks for the tip about buying stuff at the port. Might have to check that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello CruisingFamily...I must admit, your comments about staying an an apartment had my wife and I thinking. Then, we took over 4-hours last night, checking out every apartment, and, every other nice, but smaller hotels in the same Las Ramblas area as many of the fancier, much more expensive hotels such as The Mercer, 1898, Monte Carlo, Jazz and others.

I will be doing more research today, then booking something by the end of this holiday weekend, but thanks to your comments, it opened up the door to these other options that for some reason, we never thought about. We can now stay 2 or 3 nights prior to our cruise for $250 to $375 total, versus, $800 to 1300 total for the same amount of time at the fancier places.

We know everyone is different in what they want and expect, and, we have stayed in very expensive hotels in the past, however, since this is our first time to Europe, I think I'd rather use the hotel savings at the some of the destinations we stop at.

Once we choose our hotel, I will post to let others know, just in case they want to explore some other options too.

Right now we are considering the Hotel Constanza, or, Hotel Urquinaona.

Thanks again.

Dave

Edited by Dave4120

Hello CruisingFamily...I must admit, your comments about staying an an apartment had my wife and I thinking. Then, we took over 4-hours last night, checking out every apartment, and, every other nice, but smaller hotels in the same Las Ramblas area as many of the fancier, much more expensive hotels such as The Mercer, 1898, Monte Carlo, Jazz and others.

I will be doing more research today, then booking something by the end of this holiday weekend, but thanks to your comments, it opened up the door to these other options that for some reason, we never thought about. We can now stay 2 or 3 nights prior to our cruise for $250 to $375 total, versus, $800 to 1300 total for the same amount of time at the fancier places.

We know everyone is different in what they want and expect, and, we have stayed in very expensive hotels in the past, however, since this is our first time to Europe, I think I'd rather use the hotel savings at the some of the destinations we stop at.

Once we choose our hotel, I will post to let others know, just in case they want to explore some other options too.

Right now we are considering the Hotel Constanza, or, Hotel Urquinaona.

Thanks again.

Dave

You sound very much like me. I would rather spend my money on experiences than where sleep. I am out and about all day so as long as the facility is clean and in a safe neighborhood, I'm happy. Enjoy your cruise.

We are booked in hotel indigo next weekend prior to our cruise. It is reasonable and near plaza Cataluna. I'll let you know how it was when we return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this information. We are taking our first Med Cruise on May 15, 2015 and like Dave, I'm finding either really high prices or can't book this far out. I did find on a site from Trip Advisor www.themaninseat61 that is very comprehensive on all things Europe, especially traveling by train ... but that's another topic! LOL!! Anyway, the hotel part on that sight does let you get a price reference and book if you choose, even this far out where others don't. We're still looking, but will definitely take your advice on emailing directly to hotels. And, sounds like it's a good idea to get it booked as soon as possible if so many people are really doing things this early on. We're also looking for places in London and Paris pre-cruise. Plan to be in Barcelona 2 nights pre-cruise and one night post. So much research and learning here for a first timer to Europe ... appreciate your help! :)

Thank you so much for the link to the tourist guide. This November will be our first TA and first time to Barcelona, so every bit of information really helps!!!:)

Norma

We have booked a corner suite at the Hotel Jazz and are all set to go. Just checking on air fares for next April 29th, and right now they are high.

Still trying to find out what's the earliest flight out of Barcelona everyone thinks we can book and make it in time after our cruise ends. Many flights leave Barcelona back to the US at 10:45 and 11:15-AM. Not sure if we will be back and off the ship in time, plus allowing the time it takes to get from the cruise port back to the airport, check-in, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app