Do Pills have to be in their original container??

srqrobin

In addition to the Controlled Substances Act the DEA also requires that ALL prescription medications be dispensed in the exact same way as described in the CSA. There is overlap between both laws. "Controlled" does not have to automatically mean narcotic or amphetamine. Under DEA law "controlled" means the drug is controlled by prescribing and dispensing law as well.

None of which changes the fact that if you are stopped and searched for even the most innocent of reasons and are found to have unidentifiable pills in your possession you can very easily find yourself in handcuffs followed by a holding cell charged with possession of a controlled substance. Not the way anyone wants to start or end a vacation.

Here is one quote from a legal website from someone with criminal charges based on legally available prescription medication even when labeled:

" because they searched my vehicle and found capsules which are a sched 4 med. I had no idea because they hand them out as free samples at the doctors office with out a perscription"

I have several friends who are cops and they said you would be amazed at the number of times they search someone to find random pills in their possession. That includes those with pill caddies that are acting odd or under the influence.

This subject comes up on the boards several times per year and regardless of the risk there are those that will continue to use those convenience boxes. What it doesn't do is answer the question about whether it is legal which under the CSA and DEA laws it is NOT.

You are totally misinterpreting this; there is no law against someone putting prescription medications into pill caddies that are not controlled substances (again most prescription medication is NOT a controlled substance) and traveling with them. Some other countries may have laws against this, but not the US. Again, if you insist that you are correct please post a link to a law stating that all prescription medications need to be kept in the labelled bottle after dispensed. Of course police can arrest someone if they believe they are in possession of an illegal substance; the burden is then on the government to prove a crime was committed. Police cannot arrest someone simply because they were using a pill caddie - unless they have good reason to believe there are controlled substances involved. The quote you gave about the police involved a Schedule IV Controlled Substance. And there is not even a federal law against that (just that the person possessing said medication must have obtained it legally) - but a handful of states have laws regarding controlled substances needing to be in original containers.

Edited by Gonzo70

You need to be aware that not all cruise critic posters are from the US. Any quoted law will be valid in one country only, not worldwide

Thanks, I did not realize that some Cruise Critic posters were not from the US. :rolleyes:

If you had read through my post I stated "Some other countries may have laws against this, but not the US."

Thank you gonzo 70 you stated what thought. I checked the TSA Web site and medications do not need to be in original containers however they noted like you some states have more stringent rules. We fly out of SFO most likely most stringent being ca. I will leave all pills in devided case except hydrcodone will be in RX container.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

You are totally misinterpreting this; there is no law against someone putting prescription medications into pill caddies that are not controlled substances (again most prescription medication is NOT a controlled substance) and traveling with them.

No I am NOT misinterpreting this. In my state (MI) it is a felony to carry prescription medications outside the dispensing container. It is the same in CT. I have not researched every state but there are certainly more than two states that have similar laws.

TSA specifically states that when flying all prescription medications in carry on luggage MUST be in in the dispensing containers. Unlabeled pill caddie containers in checked luggage can subject the passenger to additional screening.

Senior travel websites recommend that due to varying laws of the states and other countries that you travel with the medications in their dispensing containers and sort once at your destination. For patients who have issues such as dementia and a sorting box is necessary to ensure compliance it is advised that a letter from the prescribing physician be provided stating that the sorting caddie is necessary to ensure compliance by the cognitively limited patient.

So as I said before: There are ALWAYS people like you who are willing to roll the dice and take their chances. Just because it is not a frequent problem does not mean that some TSA or Customs agent isn't going to have one of "those" days and make someone's life miserable over the fact they have a dozens of pills in an unmarked container.

You can keep arguing but as a medical professional there is absolutely NO way I am going to ever advise someone to put unmarked pills of ANY kind in a sorter and get on a plane or travel outside the country. The risk is not worth the convenience.

No I am NOT misinterpreting this. In my state (MI) it is a felony to carry prescription medications outside the dispensing container. It is the same in CT. I have not researched every state but there are certainly more than two states that have similar laws.

TSA specifically states that when flying all prescription medications in carry on luggage MUST be in in the dispensing containers. Unlabeled pill caddie containers in checked luggage can subject the passenger to additional screening.

Senior travel websites recommend that due to varying laws of the states and other countries that you travel with the medications in their dispensing containers and sort once at your destination. For patients who have issues such as dementia and a sorting box is necessary to ensure compliance it is advised that a letter from the prescribing physician be provided stating that the sorting caddie is necessary to ensure compliance by the cognitively limited patient.

So as I said before: There are ALWAYS people like you who are willing to roll the dice and take their chances. Just because it is not a frequent problem does not mean that some TSA or Customs agent isn't going to have one of "those" days and make someone's life miserable over the fact they have a dozens of pills in an unmarked container.

You can keep arguing but as a medical professional there is absolutely NO way I am going to ever advise someone to put unmarked pills of ANY kind in a sorter and get on a plane or travel outside the country. The risk is not worth the convenience.

You continue to provide misleading misinformation. While many websites and TSA say it is advisable to keep medications in their labelled bottles they do not REQUIRE it. There is no federal law requiring it. There are no state laws requiring it aside from a handful of states that require it ONLY for CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES and not the vast majority of prescription medications. Personally I would keep medications in their labelled bottles if I were to travel with prescription medications, but in most circumstances it is completely legal to use pill organizers when traveling and to say otherwise is misleading, misinformed, foolish and total BS. I think in some instances you are confusing "dispensing" medication with what people choose to do with their medication after a pharmacy has dispensed said medication to them. Yes, there are laws about how pharmacies need to dispense medication into properly labelled bottles, but this has NOTHING to do with what people are able/required to do after obtaining their medication. Please show me the law that people in Michigan are required to carry all prescription medications in their labeled bottle? Good luck finding it! It is possible Michigan requires this for certain controlled substances (a few states do) but no state requires it for typical prescription medications.

We have been traveling for decades throughout the western hemisphere and Europe with our various types of medications sorted out into travel boxes and they have never been questioned.

Even flying in and out of Russian under the old Soviet Union and also Israel, where airport security is about as strict as it gets, we never encountered a problem.

Our carry-on bags go right through airport x-ray scanners with the travel boxes full of pills inside them.

The only time they opened and hand-searched my bag at US airport security was when I forgot to pull out a water bottle, and then their only interest was in the water bottle, not the medications.

Also one time flying out of Vancouver, they confiscated some tiny manicure scissors that showed up on the scanner, but displayed no interest whatsoever in the pill boxes.

If I planned to fly to someplace like Singapore though, I would be likely to check out their regulations first.

Even if you bring along original labeled prescription bottles when traveling, there is nothing to prevent you from refilling those bottles with anything you want, so merely having a prescription label on a bottle proves nothing about its contents.

Pharmacists, and others, are able to identify many kinds of pills by looking at them without needing a prescription label, while capsules can easily be refilled with just about anything regardless of what the label says.

I take a few pill packs...never had a problem....but just in case....I did take pictures of the original bottles and have them available on my iphone if ever challanged....The bottles have the med name, drug store number, and the doctor. This works for me

I don't want to abet law-breaking, but what's to keep someone from putting one sort of pill in a pharmacy container marked for a different drug? I know that most (all?) pharmaceuticals can be identified by shape, color and printed ID, but does TSA or other authorities who might look in your bags have a drug identification book?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't want to abet law-breaking, but what's to keep someone from putting one sort of pill in a pharmacy container marked for a different drug? I know that most (all?) pharmaceuticals can be identified by shape, color and printed ID, but does TSA or other authorities who might look in your bags have a drug identification book?

Absolutely nothing. Same as NOTHING prohibits someone from getting a pill carrier and loading it with narcotics to smuggle and hoping they don't get caught.

While some responses to this thread are from "right fighters" who simply argue for the sake of it: As a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL I do not ever advise travelling with unmarked medication. While you probably won't be challenged, if you ARE is it really worth risking your vacation and your freedom for the convenience of a pill sorter? What happens if you fall ill and cannot communicate to the medical staff what those pills are? There are THOUSANDS of generic drugs and not all are stamped with any identifying marks or unique coloring. Even pharmacists are challenged with difficulty identifying all of them.

In the absence of a clear label in a marked dispensing container law enforcement may detain someone until they can identify it.

There will ALWAYS be people who go through life figuring it has never happened before so they are safe in continuing the behavior. They are free to do so. For this situation my recommendation is that you do not do it.

Absolutely nothing. Same as NOTHING prohibits someone from getting a pill carrier and loading it with narcotics to smuggle and hoping they don't get caught.

While some responses to this thread are from "right fighters" who simply argue for the sake of it: As a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL I do not ever advise travelling with unmarked medication. While you probably won't be challenged, if you ARE is it really worth risking your vacation and your freedom for the convenience of a pill sorter? What happens if you fall ill and cannot communicate to the medical staff what those pills are? There are THOUSANDS of generic drugs and not all are stamped with any identifying marks or unique coloring. Even pharmacists are challenged with difficulty identifying all of them.

In the absence of a clear label in a marked dispensing container law enforcement may detain someone until they can identify it.

There will ALWAYS be people who go through life figuring it has never happened before so they are safe in continuing the behavior. They are free to do so. For this situation my recommendation is that you do not do it.

Excellent points. I can see bringing my prescription drugs in their original containers. However, what to do with supplements like multivitamins, calcium, glucosamine, etc. that I buy at Costco where each container is as big as all my Rx bottles combined?

Keep in mind that the authorities are not required to take your word for it that the photo is accurate or believe you.

THIS is the most common misbelief. While the schedules I quoted mention the commonly used narcotics or amphetamines, if the drug requires a prescription it is a controlled substance and subject to the act. If you are found in possession of a pill they cannot identify by the dispensing bottle in your possession (a photo won't do it due to high quality photo shopping abilities) then you can be charged.

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it WON'T!

A inspector with 30 people in line will look for any indication that the pills are legitimate. The difference between the actual pill container and a photo produced in seconds is nill. IF the inspector wants to quibble about a statin drug, he will have his/her head handed to him by his boss. I dealt with US customs for two decades and I am not worried. I don't fit the profile and have creditable evidence.

Excellent points. I can see bringing my prescription drugs in their original containers. However, what to do with supplements like multivitamins, calcium, glucosamine, etc. that I buy at Costco where each container is as big as all my Rx bottles combined?

I purchased some tiny baggies (amazon) 1 or 2 inches by the same and put all my vititamins, calcium and supplements (I take 11 different pills) for one day in a baggie. I then put them all in a pint baggie and put them my purse or checked luggage and I've never had a problem, plus it makes it easy as each small baggie is one day's worth of pills. I've done this for many years in various cities all over the world.

My DH used to take insulin so we traveled with an insulated lunchbox, needles, meter, and all his oral meds. The only time we had a problem was at Charles DeGaulle when a tsa idiot took him away to a room, called in some higher ups, held him for a half hour, then let him go. They didn't care at all about his meds, just the needles. He had a copy of his prescription and all the supplies were in original containers. Even when you do everything right, you can be hassled by a hard nosed agent.

Personally, I use the seven day dispensers and baggies marked with a sharpie. The only time I had my carryon searched by an agent was because of my little jewelry pouch.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forums mobile app

You are hilarious. In your first post you said "By LAW they do have to be in the bottle the pharmacy used for dispensing." My first post on this threed was to dispute your comment as it is 100% WRONG! I said nothing about myself taking pills in pill organizers when I travel, nothing about "right fighting," nothing about it being wise to take pills in pill organizers and nothing about how doing so will never result in being hassled. I simply was exposing your comments about it being illegal as wrong. It is LEGAL by US Federal Law and state law (aside from certain types of prescriptions prone to abuse in a handful of states) and it is ALLOWED by TSA.

I agree that it is RECOMMENDED to keep prescription pills in their original containers when travelling and that on very rare occasions one can be delayed and hassled about pill organizers. While I personally do not use pill organizers millions of people do and it is very seldom problematic. Each person can make an informed choice as to what is best for them; the convenience of the pill containers or the safety and decreased chance of being hassled of keeping pills in their prescription bottles. Your hyperbole, ridiculous comments about being arrested if one puts pills in a pill organizer and false comments about it being illegal are ludicrous and merely confuse the situation and impede people from knowing the facts and making an informed decision.

Why do you keep making an irrelevant comment about being a "medical professional?" Regardless of your profession you were mistaken about the legality of the situation and you seem to try to be attempting to fool people into thinking you are an authority on an issue you are ignorant about but touting the title "medical professional." What are you a nurse? Custodian at a hospital? Administrative Assistant for a doctor? Obviously you are not a physician.

I asked several times for you to post a link to a Federal or State law that prohibits people taking prescription pills in pill organizers when travelling (aside from certain controlled substances in a few states). You have been unable to do so. That is because no such laws exist. Please tone down the hyperbole and stop pretending to be an expert on a subject matter that you grossly misunderstand.

You do have to have pills in their original containers if you are entering Dubai ( Century's final cruise is leaving there on April 5th 2015)

Also, if you take occasional pain killers, ask your Dr for a prescription for them and carry your prescription listing with you.

I also took my pills in their original boxes when we entered Australia. I had a sniffer dog isolate my hand luggage and was questioned by agents. I offered to show them my pills, but they said that wasn't necessary, they just wanted to know why I took them ( BP & Thyroid)

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/~/traveling-with-medications-and-medical-devices,-such-as-needles-or-oxygen-tanks

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/~/traveling-with-medications-and-medical-devices,-such-as-needles-or-oxygen-tanks

I LEAVE Miami tomorrow. No problem coming in, but I do have a copy of my prescription listing with me.

Only question when we entered 2 weeks ago was:

Why are you entering USA?

When are you leaving?

That is precisely what we do. Small plastic bags (purchased in craft section of major store) for a day of pills. Those baggies go in a quart baggie. I remove the sticky labels from meds and put on quart baggie. Your pharmacist can also print out labels if you need them. Easy and removes some of the "bulk". We always carry one week extra just in case.

It's not a cruise line policy.

When traveling internationally, some countries require original containers for certain meds.

But many pharmacists will tell you that it's always a good idea to use original containers and not to mix various meds in one container.

That's the correct answer.

We were stopped twice flying into international airports while they looked at our rather extensive pill collection in our carry-on. Once flying into Mexico, once flying into Malaysia.

The pills in the original bottles were barely examined. The pills in our seven day plastic things nearly got confiscated. I'm GUESSING that if we were in our twenties instead of seniors, it would have a BIG hassle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Though I'm not the OP, I'll use this as my guide rather than depend on other peoples' personal experiences.

Thanks.

The only time I have ever had a problem carrying pills was going through Schiphol airport in Amsterdam. I had my prescription medication in its original package along with a small bottle of mixed OTC pills (Alieve, Tylenol, Benedryl, & Pepto) in my carry-on. The agents opened my bag and had no issue with the prescription meds. However, they confiscated the bottle of OTC meds since I couldn't prove what they were and some were different than what was shown on the bottle label. (I think I had them all in an Alieve bottle).

The experience has made me leery of not carrying my prescription medications in a bottle with a pharmacy label. I guess I am lucky since I only take a couple prescription medications so bringing them in bottles doesn't take up much space. I still bring a small bottle of mixed OTC meds when I travel, both international and US domestic. It hasn't been questioned anywhere but Amsterdam.

I cannot speak to the laws per se, only common sense and risk. If you carry your pills out of their original containers will you likely have no issues? Yes. But what if there are?

If these are critical medications, what will you do if they are confiscated? Can you travel without them or would that mean you would have to jet home or try to contact your doctor and somehow have them sped to your new location (which would be doubly difficult if you were in the middle of the ocean on a ship for days)? Can you potentially live without them for one or two or three days or more??

What if you are detained, even if you ultimately are allowed to continue your journey? Will you miss your flight? Will you miss your cruise?

What if you did not research the laws well enough and inadvertently broke one and got detained and/or incarcerated? Perhaps in a foreign port?

All in all, IMHO just not worth the risk to avoid some inconvenience. Ask your pharmacy for smaller bottles labeled accordingly and transfer your large bottles to those. To me a much wiser choice. Small risk, but potentially serious consequences.