In your opinion, Is Platinum worth it?

hllwdcruiser

We will be Platinum for the first time in April. Does it mean that drinks are reduced? What about the coffee card and UKP sticker? Are they also reduced? Also I had no idea about the lounge and canapes. Please elaborate. What time is the lounge open? When are the canapes served?

Lounge with the food is usually open from 5 PM to 7 PM but could vary a little by ship. There should be a card in your cabin on embarkation day giving the hours, the location, the days it is held, the special food of the day and the drink of the day.

Only the drinks of the day listed on that card are $5. All other drinks are regular price.

Also, no discount for coffee card or UKP sticker for Platinium or Elite.

Thanks everyone for your responses - so many of them are positive! I do cruise for cruising sake (don't we all?:confused:) but the perks seem definitely worth it and ones that we will definitely take advantage of. I think the elite lounge will be even more special in Alaska when so much more time is spent indoors.

Now fingers and toes are crossed for some good standby deals!

Since Princess Elite is the top level after no more than 15 cruises they do have one more little perk after 20, 31, 41 & 51 credits (after 20/31/41/51 cruises for the most part though if you travel in a suite or pay for a solo cabin you get an additional credit per cruise including three credits total if you pay for a solo suite). So it is an Elite "Plus" perk.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1959242

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Thanks everyone for your responses - so many of them are positive! I do cruise for cruising sake (don't we all?:confused:) but the perks seem definitely worth it and ones that we will definitely take advantage of. I think the elite lounge will be even more special in Alaska when so much more time is spent indoors.

The perks depend on many things. DW and I just came back from a Panama cruise. We couldn't get to the "happy hour" where they served drinks and apps because we had early dining. While at least 60% were probably elite or platinum, not many seemed to be in the lounge for disembarkation.

Personally, I figure, it's one more cruise to elite! ( I think that's what Princess wants you to think)....free laundry vs. fee internet???

Regardless....I always see it as 1 more cruise...1 more cruise that I enjoyed, one more cruise that someone brought me food....one more cruise that someone made up my room....one more cruise that someone took care of everything I needed...ever!

Whatever you decide to do, may you enjoy it!

Once again ... We are not Elite on Princess for the perks. We are Elite because we like to cruise on Princess most often (still cruise on others from time to time).

The perks we get on Princess are vey much appreciated but not the reason why we cruise Princess.

LuLu

~~~

Edited by OCruisers

The interned minutes are great. We never use our minutes up as we both get the 150.

We haven't gone to the appetizer / drink hour for platinum/ elite. We might have to check it out. Do they allow guests? We have another person traveling with us that isn't plat

Edited by chris2597

I didn't know about that - is that for Platinum or just Elite? That's a free specialty dinner! :D

It is not for platinum or for elite.

It is a loyalty credit for those who have had a certain number of cruise points. It just so happens you will be elite before the time you have that many points.

Also, it is limited to one loyalty credit per stateroom even if two people have the required number of points.

Regarding Platinum, we think the main benefit is the free internet time. As to priority boarding, it is somewhat of a joke on Princess since it is very easy to reach the Platinum level. This means that there can be a very high percentage of Platinum/Elites on any cruise (especially longer cruises). The last time we cruised on Princess we were directed to the Elite Line, but quickly noticed that the regular check-in line was much shorter. So we moved over to the regular line where we were quickly checked-in while those who stayed in the "priority" line continued to wait.

Hank

We are platinum but have yet to sail on Princess as platinum. We choose our sailing based on price and itinerary. The repeat passenger programs are just a bonus if everything else is in the equation. I would not spend the extra money on any cruise just to move to the next level unless I really wanted to take the cruise. The only thing worth anything at the platinum level are the free internet minutes and you can prepay for the internet for less than $200.00. Also consider that since you will be in the US for Alaska you will be able to use your cell phone without roaming fees and extra charges and I'm sure the service will be faster than on the ship. I have also found that even in the Caribbean that there are many places that have hot spots. The internet perk is becoming less and less a perk with many restaurants offering free internet. so unless you want to actually take the cruise I wouldn't spend the extra money just to jump to the next level. Even if I lived on the West Coast I wouldn't be jumping on those 1 and 2 day sailing just to move up the ranks.

For me it's a yes and a no! I never use my internet minutes but I love priority boarding and the platinum travel insurance is much better and cheaper! Not sure why it's cheaper but it was on my last cruise.

My Mom is elite and I love to travel with her because I use the laundry service! Now that's why I can't wait to be Elite! Just two more cruises and I'll be there!:D

As Rob and I are both Platinum does this mean that we actually get 300 minutes free on the internet? That is 5 hours!!

Is it 150 minutes for 7 days? We are cruising for 10 days is it the same for 10 days as 7 days.

If you love Princess, any perks of patronage are great!!!

I do want say on my recent embarkation from FTL, there were so many platinum guests, that priority check in was limited to suites and elite. platinum went on the priority security line but once inside were directed to regular checks. There were just too many guests.

As Rob and I are both Platinum does this mean that we actually get 300 minutes free on the internet? That is 5 hours!!

Is it 150 minutes for 7 days? We are cruising for 10 days is it the same for 10 days as 7 days.

7 days or less = 150 min

8-20 days = 250 min

21+ = 500 min

and that is EACH:D:D

7 days or less = 150 min

8-20 days = 250 min

21+ = 500 min

Pleas note that the number of minutes is per segment if you booked a B2B as a single cruise. Thus if you booked a 7 day and a 10 day B2B (total of 17 days), you would get 150 minutes on the first segment and 250 minutes on the second segment, a total of 400 minutes on your 17 day cruise.

I am going to say yes. I really like the Platinum perks. You get 150 minutes of internet time for a 7 day cruise - this is more than I ever need. The nightly canapes and discounted drinks in the Platinum lounge are a nice touch. I also really like the preferred embarkation - it is great to be able to bypass the lines and get on the ship early. No line ups for food - you can get your embarkation drink and check out the pools while everything is still almost empty. Also like the debarkation lounge. It's almost civilized to be able to wait here. There is complimentary coffee, tea, water and snacks.

yup...what she said;)

Actually on our last cruise, we found than any drink listed on the flyer for the lounge on any day was discounted. So I had lots of mojitos. There were a lot of drinks listed on specific days that I did not like. I think being platinum is definitely worth it. The expedited boarding is a plus as well as the internet minutes. Except that we really don't have time, we have considered a 7 day out of Lauderdale to reach elite.

7 days or less = 150 min

8-20 days = 250 min

21+ = 500 min

This is fantastic! I am so impressed. Can't wait for our cruise. Our 10 night cruise is going to give us a total of over 8 hours free internet. Well done Princess!!