Marksburg Castle

M&T

I am interested in hearing more about the walking from the bus to the castle and inside. I have a disease where I am sometimes not able to walk much and need to access whether I will do this. I want to and will probably try. I won't decide until the day when I see my condition. Thanks for your assistance.

Marksburg Castle is NOT for those with mobility problems. Steep, uneven stone walkways from the bus park which is not close to the entrance. Steep uneven stone entryway through the gate and then steep stairways.

M&T ~ we were at Marksburg Castle last December and it was a very difficult walk inside and out. I had also been very interested in the situation sice DH had problems walking, he didn;t come on the excursion and it was a good choice in my opinion.

Teh walk from the bus was not as bad as I expected. We walked up the road that cars had used - smooth surface but a steep grade. Thee were stairs but I don't think any in our group too them up. Most of us did use them going down and that wasn't easy - an hand rail most of the way but very, very steep stairs!!

But once at the Castle entrance it didn't get any easier - just harder! If I remember correctly, the guide said the entrance way was full of large jagged rocks to deter the enemy soliders on horseback and it succeeded with them and also us! Sorry to say it wasn't easy walking at all!!

And inside the Castle are narrow stairs and narrow rooms, many with uneven floors. I looked through my photos but couldn't find any of the entrance and realized it was because I was rying not to fall or drop my camera!! Some are below just to give you an example!

Its really a shame since its a fabulous Castle with great exhibits! Whatever you decide - have a wonderful cruise!!!

IMG_0791.jpg.d86236409672a81be4da5c33562e9142.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg.8cd223675756de6cb9822d8d5d075ca3.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg.99588e4f3fadf442b57d0dc8a5930d9e.jpg

M&T ~ we were at Marksburg Castle last December and it was a very difficult walk inside and out. I had also been very interested in the situation sice DH had problems walking, he didn;t come on the excursion and it was a good choice in my opinion.

Teh walk from the bus was not as bad as I expected. We walked up the road that cars had used - smooth surface but a steep grade. Thee were stairs but I don't think any in our group too them up. Most of us did use them going down and that wasn't easy - an hand rail most of the way but very, very steep stairs!!

But once at the Castle entrance it didn't get any easier - just harder! If I remember correctly, the guide said the entrance way was full of large jagged rocks to deter the enemy soliders on horseback and it succeeded with them and also us! Sorry to say it wasn't easy walking at all!!

And inside the Castle are narrow stairs and narrow rooms, many with uneven floors. I looked through my photos but couldn't find any of the entrance and realized it was because I was rying not to fall or drop my camera!! Some are below just to give you an example!

Its really a shame since its a fabulous Castle with great exhibits! Whatever you decide - have a wonderful cruise!!!

I got a little nervous after reading your post, but the my DH reminded me that we climbed halfway up and all around the walls surrounding Dubrovnik and deep underground at the ancient temple Hal Salafia (sp?) In Valetta Malta, on our last cruise and climbed up the Acropolis the cruise before that. I sure hope Marksburg Castle isn't more challenging than those. Off course, I am a few years older!!rolleyes:

Robin

FotoPeg,

Thank you for the Photos. The first one shows the uneven steps just left of the guide talking. Marksburg has never been destroyed, perhaps in part due to the fact that it is so difficult to access. :D

As I live in the Rhine area I am surrounded by great medieval sites, but if you have never experienced these places before, Marksburg is probably the best place to go.

I hope the cruise companies do state the difficult walking situation at Marksburg in advance in order not to disappoint customers.

M&T,

one more thought from me: the castle is only accessible with a guide. If you do not make it up the road would you be happy sitting for an hour and a half in the car park / on the coach? If you make it up the road and not right into the castle would you be happy hanging around the souvenir shop for an hour? I believe the alternative is to stay on the ship and go straight to the next port?

As you said, it is best to decide on the day, I am sure your cruise director will be able to help you decide as well.

Even if you can only see them from the outside the Rhine valley castles are fantastic, I am sure you will greatly enjoy them!

This the site in German:

http://www.marksburg.de/frame_nj.htm

the Link Rundgang gives you photos of the uneven steps at the gateways and towers, the Link videos, well, shows you videos, and startseite navigates you back, where you can access the english version.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

Upon arrival at Marksburg Castle in November we took the very steep stairs from the parking area to the castle entrance. It was at this point that I noticed several people who had taken a somewhat longer but much easier winding and not so steep path to the castle. Yes, the floors are very uneven with some potholes and it would be somewhat difficult for those with mobility issues but it can be done. We do not have mobility issues, but with that being said. I would try not to miss the castle , and would obtain some assistance , and I would definitely take the easier winding path.

Thank you everyone. These are helpful questions and thoughts. Peg, I was hoping you would respond because I have been following your contributions for over a year. I knew you were wondering about this excursion because of your husband. I wanted to hear your detail. I will either stay on the boat or go and take pics from the bus lot. Thanks again.

M&T ~ Thank You for the compliment!

robinlyn ~ don't get nervous - I'm only tryng to convey the reality of the situation - something I was trying to find out about all last year because of my husband's walking problems! And, yes, age makes us much more aware of difficulties!!!! I found the road grade steep but not impossible! And inside the Castle you just have to be alert as to where you step! And people were helping others often calling back to say "watch your step/head". But again, all that being said, it was possible to do and I'm SO glad I went!! Acropolis is a very good comparison! The difficulties are different - smooth, slippery stones vs jagged, uneven rock - but both places call for good shoes and forethought - and both places shouldn't be missed IF its at all possible!!

notamermaid ~ Viking does alert passengers to the difficulties of the Castle trip. I think its the only excursion that didn't have a "slow" group - which is understandable since there's no place else to see/go but the Castle! And she's SO correct - it's a fabulous Castle to see!!!!

Let me just add - we took the cruise from S to N - Basel to Amsterdam. The tour to Marksburg Castle was from Koblenz and we docked right next to the park on the west side of the Rhine. Many people who didn't go on the tour walked through the park and into town to shop (December there was a Christmas Market). There was also a restaurant/pub I saw on the far side of the park. What I'm getting at is that there is an alternative to just saying on board if anyone feels the difficulties of the Castle would be too much. And I'm sure notamermaid may have suggestions if the tour is from any other town.

And lastly - our tour director told us that the Castle is often the site for weddings - yes, brides navigate the area in their heels!!!! Hard to believe but that's what she said!!!!

Here's a few photos from the Viking CD:

1181280850_MiddleRhineandMarksburg(16)(800x600).jpg.5508bb4138b476cb31d1697aba03a655.jpg

1680383637_MiddleRhineandMarksburg(17)(600x800).jpg.58455a6b7852a3ab1128bb6c418fa032.jpg

1522759731_MiddleRhineandMarksburg(24)(800x600).jpg.de1273143c6cde41fcdc07d331d9797e.jpg

M&T ~ just remembered, I'm sure there was a "restaurant" - more like a cafe - at the castle. Just mention it in case you get up to the castle but can't complete the tour. Check with your CD to confirm!

Got2Cruise ~ you should have no problem with the walking - just make sure you have good, supportive shoes! The photos I posted were more to show the terrain - not to deter people just to show what it's really like. It is a FABULOUS castle - virtually untouched and makes the lack of comforts in the middle ages come alive!!! Enjoy!!!

Rhine11.jpg.ca0661cd6deb025b5b8b982becf405cc.jpg

Rhine14.jpg.fc2f4984ab87d9a886729a3fb760acc6.jpg

Rhine17.jpg.201a7ff14fd283503d94a40061d2a800.jpg

Rhine18.jpg.c4060f0c025ab943f23f082fd29d52d4.jpg