Sudden large booking on Silhouette 03/23/14

Despegue

More than 100 cabins were booked, mostly inside, somewhere over the last week for the Sailing of Silhouette on 23rd. Of March.

Is anyone aware of a group or ( nightmare scenario) college?!

Thanks,

D.

If it was done on 2/28 it could be some large agency who put a hold on them assuming 1,2,3 would end. I saw that for the Aug 1st sailing of the Constellation. I booked an oceanview cabin and had lots to choose from and suddenly on March 1st the oceanview rooms were sold out...

I doubt any group would book 100 cabins at this late date but you never know.

More than 100 cabins were booked, mostly inside, somewhere over the last week for the Sailing of Silhouette on 23rd. Of March.

Is anyone aware of a group or ( nightmare scenario) college?!

Thanks,

D.

three thoughts...

1) Celebrity decided to give the rooms to travel agents...

2) Celebrity has decided to some maintenance/updating to those staterooms on the sailing

3) Celebrity is giving the cabins to an organization like "make a wish" as a charitable gift.

I would vote for 1 but 3 is also a possibility...

It is very unlikely that this has anything to do with a "group" since we are talking last minute. It is pretty normal that Celebrity locks out many cabins (in their reservation system) as the cruise date grows near, since they have to finalize cabin assignments for the many guarantees, deal with upgrade issues, etc. It is just a finalization process every cruise line must do in the last weeks (and days) prior to any cruise.

Hank

D.

It will be interesting to hear what it was. I can not imagine that with only around 135 inside cabins that close to 100 would be left less than 3 week till sailing. When you find out please let us know what it was.

We are on this cruise and have a GTY Veranda that we booked on February 7. We were assigned our cabin within 5 days.

If we experience anything unusual as far as large groups go, we will let you know with a post!

Hi Everyone,

FWIW, I've seen this type of activity in the past. My guess is, X had plenty of cabins remaining, and they were offered to Celebrity/RCCL/Azamara employees, and other friends and family, at a low rate. There's probably a certain # of days prior to the sailing date, to which these cabins become available. The date arrived, and I suspect that's why a large amount of cabins disappeared suddenly.

Hi Everyone,

FWIW, I've seen this type of activity in the past. My guess is, X had plenty of cabins remaining, and they were offered to Celebrity/RCCL/Azamara employees, and other friends and family, at a low rate. There's probably a certain # of days prior to the sailing date, to which these cabins become available. The date arrived, and I suspect that's why a large amount of cabins disappeared suddenly.

You're spot on with that one. It's called ''perishable inventory'' and it happens for just about every sailing....but not in the 3 figures...,which leads one to beleive regular biz must be a bit worse than what we think...After all , this is a school break sailing....!! That ''perishable '' inventory sometimes becomes a give away...I've had the good fortune of nailing 2 of those ( pure luck ) at a CLIA convention locally ,4 years ago.

The surprising thing here is the amount of insides ,less than 2 weeks away,...

( but then....we now see GTY insides at $599 for quite a few of the TAs...)

Cheers

Claude

It is understood the remaining cabins were purchased by a particular group from a university.
If this is indeed true hopefully the college kids will not deplete Michaels Club of their craft beers since I am looking forward to sampling a few the following week. ;)

We are also on this cruise. I am not surprised it is Inside rooms that were still available since the 123 Go deal didn't apply to them. I am hoping it isn't a big group of college kids. Where did you find out that info?

For those of you on this cruise, have you joined the roll call and signed up for the connections party? We have a few comedians on our roll call making it fun.