Am I the only one???

elycelynne

I know that the vast majority here rave enthusiastically about the BB King Blues Club that's featured in the Queen's Lounge on all of the Vista and Signature class ships. I admit that they were very good when I saw their mainstage show in the Vista Lounge, but I feel that having them there almost every night (9 nights out of 11 on my recent Noordam cruise) was just too much.

I guess my main complaint is that the entertainment offerings that used to be located in the Queen's Lounge are now quite limited. For instance, they only had two game shows (Marriage Game and Majority Rules), one occurrence of live band karaoke with the HAL Cats and one occurrence of regular karaoke for an 11-night cruise. I'm sure that the only reason those were able to be fit in was because the BB King entertainers were on the mainstage one night, and had the night off on the other night.

I suppose that if watching and/or dancing to the BB King show is one's thing, then it's probably fine. Unfortunately, it wasn't my thing. But I do know that the general feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, so I'm sure that they'll be around for a long time.

So am I the only one who wasn't particularly interested in having them as my nightly entertainment?

Edited by elycelynne

Everyone to their own preferences but I much prefer BB King show to the Marriage Game and the other "guest" involved shows that went on in the Queen's Lounge. Unfortunately on our last cruise on the Eurodam many of these shows had moved to the Mainstage replacing what was while not great entertainment, a lot better than these "shows. Just my opinion so please no flaming!!!

Wow, I'm surprised that they did that! Although come to think of it -- The "Dancing With The Stars" final was in the theater one night, and there was a Superbowl party in there another night. I wonder what they would have normally put there instead of the Superbowl party?

I don't know what music they play (I'm assuming blues) but I wouldn't want any of the same kind of music night after night. Sounds boring.

From what I saw when they were in the theater for the one night, it was r&b and soul.

Just off the Zuiderdam and we loved the BB King show. Our group had husband/wife feature singers. She sang the "blues" and he sang the "Motown." They encouraged audience participation and dancing. Our opinion is that HAL made a smart move with this entertainment. We have never gone to "games shows" or "karaoke" on any cruise - and likely never would. Just our opinion of course.

We have not experienced them yet. And really will not go to a Blues show as neither of us like Blues music.

If they are loud like the HAL Cats -- just another reason not to listen to them.

I also can't imagine having the same group playing night after night.

Pity the people in the cabins below the Queen's Lounge.

You are right! I went to part of one show and they are good. But it was 3 shows a night, every night. Only the Marriage Game to fill one spot and that conflicted with a comedian we had hoped to see. The Marriage thing was awkward for everyone.

I love the game shows with audience participation. That's an area HAL lacks in, in my opinion.

We are going on the NA for a TA, haven't been on HAL for 4 years, so we will see.

In general, this relates to all cruise lines, when I see audience participation, game shows, movies under the stars, dancing with the stars, etc., what I think is "cheap entertainment". Unfortuantely, we are seeing more of this on all lines.

The best entertainment we in the last 5 years, was on Cunard, the Queen Victoria.

There was very little that would be qualified as the blues. A lot of it would be better described as "oldies." Remember that oldies are anything 20-25 years old and older. They even did a couple of current numbers. Most of the tunes were danceable or at least sing-along-able. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but the shows were all very well attended on our cruise.

We have not experienced them yet. And really will not go to a Blues show as neither of us like Blues music.

If they are loud like the HAL Cats -- just another reason not to listen to them.

They're quite a bit louder than the HAL Cats. They're better musicians and singers, too. They won't be everyone's favorite, but all the shows during our sailing were packed.

The main showroom shows were cast productions, a comic, a harmonica virtuoso, a juggler, and a pianist. You also had a female singer and guitarist who plays soft stuff, and the usual Adagio Strings.

From what I saw when they were in the theater for the one night, it was r&b and soul.

Pretty much - and usually a few disco numbers. K C and the Sunshine Band, Commodores, Earth, Wind & Fire, etc.

I was in one of those cabins under the Queen's Lounge on the Noordam- it was ridiculous!!! The music sounded fun, and we should know- we heard three sets a night every night loud and clear. One night we sat in the Atrium, again listening to BB King because you can hear it there loud and clear too, and the CD stopped for a listen. This was supposedly after they had turned the volume and base down a bit because everyone below the Queen's Lounge was complaining. Now every time we hear a motown-ish song we giggle.

Bottom line: I think they are a great act- just wish the Queen's Lounge had been engineered to accommodate a 6 piece amplified band.

I throughly enjoyed listening to 'Darelle & the HALCats' onboard the Ryndam, whenever they played/sang by the Lido pool! :) I certainly didn't find them "loud"! ;)

Karaoke was never my thing, till I sailed with Elycelynn (the OP here). We attended a couple of times, to support our new friend - and found we very much enjoyed it. We also enjoyed the BB King group, but 3 times a night, nearly every night, was too much - and it did tie up the Queens Lounge far too often.

They're quite a bit louder than the HAL Cats. They're better musicians and singers, too. They won't be everyone's favorite, but all the shows during our sailing were packed.

The main showroom shows were cast productions, a comic, a harmonica virtuoso, a juggler, and a pianist. You also had a female singer and guitarist who plays soft stuff, and the usual Adagio Strings.

The last year and a half on our cruises we had only the Adagio Duo -- A violinist and a piano player.

The best were the Rosario Strings years ago.

I was in one of those cabins under the Queen's Lounge on the Noordam- it was ridiculous!!! The music sounded fun, and we should know- we heard three sets a night every night loud and clear. One night we sat in the Atrium, again listening to BB King because you can hear it there loud and clear too, and the CD stopped for a listen. This was supposedly after they had turned the volume and base down a bit because everyone below the Queen's Lounge was complaining. Now every time we hear a motown-ish song we giggle.

Bottom line: I think they are a great act- just wish the Queen's Lounge had been engineered to accommodate a 6 piece amplified band.

I feel sorry for you.

We are early risers thus we retire somewhat early -- no midnights for us unless it is a special occasion.

Hope you were able to sleep in.

I haven't been on HAL yet and don't think it's even an option on the Westerdam to Alaska, but I would definitely skip it. Not a blues fan at all.

Actually I'm planning on skipping most if not all of the acts. What I've seen on YouTube tells me easily that my time will be better spent elsewhere - even if just hanging out on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in one of those cabins under the Queen's Lounge... ==SNIP==

I wondered about those poor souls. We enjoyed the shows, but I have to imagine that it would be impossible to sleep below the lounge with that going on.

I haven't been on HAL yet and don't think it's even an option on the Westerdam to Alaska, but I would definitely skip it. Not a blues fan at all.

Actually I'm planning on skipping most if not all of the acts. What I've seen on YouTube tells me easily that my time will be better spent elsewhere - even if just hanging out on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alaska is all about the scenery.

We have spent many hours in the Crow's Nest watching out the windows. You never know what will pop up in the water or fly by the windows.