Getting off the ship in Montego Bay, Jamaica

EasyBreezy83

As long as you book an excursion you will be fine. Last July we went on Chukka Kayak & Canopy Experience, booked thru Carnival. It was awsome and I highly recommend it.

The ride was pretty long but you get to see a side of Jamaica that most do not get to see.

we usually go to Mo Bay twice a year and never felt uncomfortable. We do our own thing, taxi to The Pork Pit for lunch, down to the Hip Stip to Biggs, then up and down the street people watching. Margaritaville is nice but to loud for us, Biggs which is almost next door has good food, nice little beach area and calm. Nancy

I actually feel the same way. To be honest Jamaica is one of the only ports (I have been to at least) that actually felt like you were in another country, in the Caribbean.

I really like it. It is not first world, so just be prepared for that. I never found people to be too pushy. They are trying to make a living, just like you and I. They don't have a ton of opportunity, and you buying a few trinkets from them may mean the difference of getting their kids some dinner that night or not. I think you can see why they may seem a little anxious at times. In short, sure they will ask you to buy things, but generally a no thanks does the job.

Had a scary mob looking guy approach me as I was going into a place to buy some coffee. I was a little uneasy at first, all of my instincts were telling me this guy is probably bad news. Turns out he was awesome. We got to talking basketball, my home town, his home town, politics, etc. He never asked me to buy anything, just generally wanted to be nice and talk to someone foreign.

So moral of the story, just because they are dark skin and may communicate slightly different than we are used to, they aren't all threatening. That said, Im sure there are more than enough that are a threat. Don't let them ruin it for you. Stay in a group, act like you know what you are doing, and enjoy one of the few places that is still Caribbean.

Edited by EnTnSA

As long as you are on a tour, you are safe IMO, but like others said, I would not venture off by yourselves. Jamaica is pretty, but I do not care for it . This is one reason we like the Roatan itineraries,hilly and scenic like Jamaica, but completely safe, very nice people.I do not care for the cruise dock area either, as there is nothing to see right outside of it, unless it has changed since we were last there..

don't be so sure abour Roatan. 2 weeks ago my friends got robbed by 3 peopole with guns :mad:. Driver beeen told to stop and open doors. my friend got gun close to her forehead and they took all money & cameras. :eek:

So moral of the story, just because they are dark skin and may communicate slightly different than we are used to, they aren't all threatening. .

I just wanted to say that skin color has nothing to do with being worried to leave the ship here. It's the stories I've heard that make me uneasy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

We've gone to Jamaica 3 times. The first 2 times I heard all of the horror stories so I made plans for us to get off the ship and take a red license plate taxi and go staright to Sunset Beach. We had a great time, no problems, awesome place. BUT something came over me as I continued to do research on our 3rd cruise. I realized that I have gone to a different country twice and know very little and had seen very little.

So the 3rd time I did research and found Courtney Taylor. I booked him for the day and we had a great time. We toured Rose Hall, horseback riding in the residiential areas and the beach and then we ended with jerk chicken at Scotchies. He talked to us about history and their ways of life the entire trip. I felt comfortable and safe with him. Its very poor, no doubt. But the experince for DH and daughters were great.

I totally understand those that are leary, becuase I was that same way. But like I said, I had a change of heart and wanted to experince something different. The next time we go I will use Courtney again and try to learn and explore some different places. DONT get me WRONG. Always be careful and cautious. Happy Cruising!

Please do not skip this port. I have not gone to MoBay on a cruise (will be doing so in July with my 17 year old daughter and was a reason we picked that itinerary) but have been 9 times staying at AI's each time. The majority of the Jamaican people are very warm and friendly with a true zest for life. Yes, this is a very poor country so when they see a cruise ship and people pouing out they see an opportunity and many can be very pushy. I have always found that a polite No Thank You is sufficient. Get away from the tourist spots and avoid the Straw Market. Take a taxi to a local beach, stop by a local grocery for good prices on Blue Mountain Coffee, Rum Cream, Rum, Jerk Spices etc. Find a Jerk hut for the best chicken you will every try and enjoy with a Red Stripe. I took my 18 year old daughter for her High School Graduation and had no hesitation for the 2 of us to go alone. She too is now in love with Jamaica.

Please do not skip this port. I have not gone to MoBay on a cruise (will be doing so in July with my 17 year old daughter and was a reason we picked that itinerary) but have been 9 times staying at AI's each time. The majority of the Jamaican people are very warm and friendly with a true zest for life. Yes, this is a very poor country so when they see a cruise ship and people pouing out they see an opportunity and many can be very pushy. I have always found that a polite No Thank You is sufficient. Get away from the tourist spots and avoid the Straw Market. Take a taxi to a local beach, stop by a local grocery for good prices on Blue Mountain Coffee, Rum Cream, Rum, Jerk Spices etc. Find a Jerk hut for the best chicken you will every try and enjoy with a Red Stripe. I took my 18 year old daughter for her High School Graduation and had no hesitation for the 2 of us to go alone. She too is now in love with Jamaica.

Just so you know, it has been discussed many times here (and from a poster who is actually Jamaican) that if you have the words "thank you" in any sentence...even when the word "no" is included, this means YES to the people of Jamaica. ;) You have to say "no". Period. :)

We were just here in December and booked a day at Hilton Rose Hall. The place is absolutely gorgeous with tons of stuff there to do. It has an awesome water park with different slides (some empty into a lagoon type pool and then continue on), a lazy river and much more. It's a beautiful, relaxing day and the grounds is huge.

I have a complete review listed in my signature with TONS of pictures if you are interested in checking it out. :)

Did u book before arrival? If so what is the process and price? How far is it from the port? Thanks

Did u book before arrival? If so what is the process and price? How far is it from the port? Thanks

Yes, we always book before arrival. We always use Resort For A Day (formally known at Jamaica For a Day) and have never had a problem using them. Just go to their website and they have different AI places to go. They require you to put a deposit down and then pay the rest when you arrive. From Montego Bay port it was about a 20-30 minute drive. They also have another AI (Sunset) located in Montego Bay which is maybe a 5 minute drive and you can see the cruise ship terminal from there.

I just wanted to say that skin color has nothing to do with being worried to leave the ship here. It's the stories I've heard that make me uneasy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Oh I didn't mean to insinuate that skin color was a problem for you. I was just highlighting the fact (poorly perhaps) that different doesn't always mean scary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We went to Mo Bay - ten years ago for my 30th... stayed at the ROSE HALL... it was a vacation I will remember always... We did Dunn's (BORING). We did Margaritaville (nightlife - great)... but we took a trip up to a plantation where school children performed for us at lunch walked around the pineapple fields... had clothes made for us right there after we picked the material... once in a lifetime trip. Take in the local culture... it isn't all scary.

I have been to Jamaica many times, some with AI and some on cruises. I understand the hesitancy based on cruising into port and not having something lined up. It can be an awful experience, but not true to Jamaican culture or to the beautiful island. Get away from the port, book an excursion ahead of time, such as Marva and Javia Shaw at www.knowjamaica.com or JUTA tours, or through the cruise line, but DO NOT MISS IT!

Last time I cruised into Montego Bay, we went through the warehouse building (which, by the way, I enjoyed much more than Falmouth shopping and other cruise ship ports that are so fake), hopped a cab for $7 to Secrets and did a day pass (which I purchased ahead of time). Beautiful resort, great jerk chicken (from the cart guy), beautiful beach, great drinks. Wonderful time!

Jamaica is one of my favorite countries and so beautiful. Don't miss it!

This is a tricky one. It REALLY depends on each person, what they like and how adventurous you are. My husband and I have flown into MO Bay several times and stayed at Sandals MO Bay. Sandals Negril too. And Sandals Ocho Rios.

I think Jamaica is a beautiful island. BUT the town and tourist area is not pretty. It is a very poor area if you go a few miles either way. Which is sad. The all inclusive resorts are great. Very safe. Even they tell you if you leave the property and you are not on their shuttle or excursion you are at your own risk. Hello.

We have had more people ask us to buy weed than anywhere I have ever been. And I used to live in Colorado :) they offer you take take a sample just to see if you change your mind and that is if you are ignoring them.

You can always get off the boat and if you hate get back on. That way you at least had a taste of Jamaica. You can buy a lot of jewelry at a good price.

If your daughter is sheltered and not accustomed to diverse environments it may scare her. The machine guns are scary...

We are going to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We have excursions planned in all areas BUT Montego Bay. Honestly, after reading different reviews, I'm feeling a little nervous to get off the ship and walk about here.

I would love to know from others who have been here already how it was. Did you feel safe? Are the bad/scary reviews true?? It will be myself, husband, and 10 year old going. Suggestions appreciated.

We went SEP 2012 with the same itinerary(and we sail out in 20 days for the same cruise-and I can't wait)and there was never a place or time the whole time we were in port that I felt "unsafe". I am so glad that I didn't believe all the "bad" things people were saying....In my research prior to going I never found any actual factual stories just the same thing over and over again that it wasn't safe there. I was never able to find a reason why it was "not safe" so I decided to make my own opinion! You should always be aware of your surroundings at all times wherever you go like the grocery store, dark parking lot, or a cruise ship port. We all enjoyed Montego Bay and had a great time! If someone hassles you to buy anything and you are not interested, tell them you're not interested and keep on moving simple as that! Hope you have a great time!

This is what we have done twice now, really nice beach, had some drinks, snorkelled around the pier lots of little fish, laid out in the sun, best little trip to the beach in Jamaica just grab a cab at the port it is feet away from margaritaville when you are done walk back along the shops and get your cab back at margaritaville, Dunn's waterfalls is great trip too but its a long day trip :-) you will get asked if you want to buy weed, souveniers etc but thats most vacation islands they rely on your business a simple NO THANKS and they go away. Enjoy don't let the few pessimists spoil your time.

THANK YOU for this post(Especially the last sentence);)!!!!

We had a great time when we went to Montego Bay and I can't wait to go back in a couple weeks! We went to Dr Cave's Beach as well and will probably make a stop by there again on this trip. They also have a "Hop on Hop off" shuttle that you can buy a wristband for 10-15 and ride it to Dr. Cave's Beach, shops, restaurants, etc and then hop back on whenever you need it.

I think one of the key points here, is that the "PORT" area.....the actual area where the ship docks.....is not built up like many cruise ports (Grand Turk, Falmouth, Roatan, etc) and that you will need to take a taxi or tour away from the ship to do anything. The dock in Montego Bay is out on a peninsula which is industrial type warehousing and there is not a "Fancy shopping village" like some other cruise destinations.

So when people are saying "Walk around, shop, see the sights" you'll need to take a taxi into town for that. They do also have shuttles I believe. The best place if you just want to wander on your own is the "Hip Strip" area. It's where Doctor's Cave Beach is, it also has a water park, Margaritaville, The Port Pit, the Harley Davidson shop and many other local shops and restaurants. It runs along the waterfront and is a decent place to go if you just want to "hang out" in Montego Bay.

Don't expect to step off the ship and hang out right there.

We too, have been to Jamaica on cruises AND land stays and love the people, the culture, the food and the music!! Never fails that we have a blast each and every time. Our key to really enjoying ourselves? Talk to the locals. They know the best restaurants and have the best stories to tell. Strike up a conversation! You may actually meet a new friend!