Do men wear tuxes any more on "elegant night"?

midwifejen

We still see a few men that wear tuxes on formal nights, but not very many. It probably varies from one cruise to another. More than once, I've thought it would be fun to wear one of these.

dumb_and_dumber_8.jpg

Probably the blue tux. Orange is not my best color. But if I did, my wife would probably disown me.:eek::D

I really think it depends upon the length of the cruise. The longer cruises seem to have more that are really dressed formally. I don't really understand the purpose of going to the expense of buying/renting a tux if you can't tell the difference between them and a plain black suit.

My husband doesn't wear tuxes, hasn't worn one since our wedding. He preferred NCL when we didn't dress up at all for dinner. On our Celebrity cruise we opted to eat in the buffet on most nights rather than dressing up for dinner.

I like to wear my tux on both formal nights.

Depending on the cruise, I may wear it on the last night in the MDR.

Excellent way to pick up some extra cash:rolleyes:

Hilarious, and a great idea! I wear a tux on both elegant nights with different shirts, ties, and cuff links. I will have to bring a third shirt (or use my free platinum laundry) for the last night in the MDR to help pay for the cruise!

Kevin C

Edited by kmc500

My husband always wears his tux on formal/elegant nights and I wear a long gown and we're never alone. Some cruises have more elegantly dressed people than others but in general most people dress appropriately.

Just got back from 35 day cruise around NZ and AUS. 6 formal nights. I estimate for dining room, about 30 - 40% wore tux, the rest business suits and sport jackets with ties.

I brought a suit and tie plus I has a sport jacket. Next time I'll bring my Tux and leave out the sport jacket having one less garment to pack.

3 in 10 -- maybe on HAL or Celebrity. Our last two Carnival cruises where maybe 3 in 10 with suits and as someone else observed, I'd guess 3 in 100 in tuxes.

Our second half of a B2B we were joined by friends. He had forgotten to pack his slacks and only had shorts. He wasn't terribly out of place -- I wore tennis shoes so he wouldn't feel so bad ;)

I haven't seen many tuxes on my Carnival sailings. I don't think anyone wore one when we sailed the Glory to Canada the last few times (in fact, the more elegant dresses didn't show up till the late seating on those). On our recent sailing on the Splendor from NY, I did see a few (I was a musician and I can tell a tux even when worn with a tee shirt and no tie!), but I have seen several dress kilts (love them!). My advice would be to wear the tux if you'd like. The beauty of your cruise is that you can dress as formally or informally as you want :)

I know tux is rare these days on carnival, but I'm really itching to wear one this may for formal night

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Then go for it! I doubt you will be alone and if you are. ..who cares it's your vacation and you should do what makes you feel good!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DH got a tux several years ago just for formal nights, wore it on a few cruises. It's been a couple of years since our last cruise and the conversations here make it sound as though no one dresses up any more. Do any of you (or your partners) do tuxes, or do you see others in tuxes on recent cruises?

I think I have noticed a lot of people taking advantage of the fact that sometimes the dress code is not enforced however, I wear a really nice suit on formal nights and jacket any time I go to dinner in the MDR. Many other people do as well, just not always the younger passengers.

I think it would be great for him to wear the tux! Help us class that place up a bit! :D

I am part of the group that likes dressing up, I rarely get to at home so it's nice to have a chance to wear all the cocktail dresses you had to buy for a wedding or fancy party all week long...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know tux is rare these days on carnival, but I'm really itching to wear one this may for formal night

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

By all means wear it! We both wear a tux just because we want to do so. Certainly don't have to wear one on CCL and see many more on HAL, X, and Princess. It is nice too, how many female passengers on CCL will approach us and say how wonderful it is to see men really dressed up... as their husbands stand at the side in slacks and a polo shirt!! LOL :)

DH got a tux several years ago just for formal nights, wore it on a few cruises. It's been a couple of years since our last cruise and the conversations here make it sound as though no one dresses up any more. Do any of you (or your partners) do tuxes, or do you see others in tuxes on recent cruises?

I never wore a tux, but I've seen them on every formal night. My wife and I still dress up, she wears a formal gown and I wear a suit. We do the picture round-up, and pick the best one every cruise. Maybe not the highlight of our cruises, but we enjoy it, almost like Christmas to us!

Whatever you decide to do, hope you have a great time...

On our last several cruises, it was rare to see anyone in a tux and when we did, it seemed that the men were usually part of some kind of special celebration, such as a wedding or anniversary party.

My DH wears collared golf-type shirts with khakis on Carnival and NCL dress up nights. That is what the majority of men wear these days. Yes, some wear suits and there is the rare man that wears a tux.

Personally, I think a person should wear whatever they feel comfortable in as long as it meets the cruise ships dress code, which is what my DH does.

If you want to wear your tux, I say go for it. Truly, no one cares what you wear as long as you follow the dress code for whatever ship you are sailing on.

You will probably stand out in the crowd...but it will be in a good way.:D

Edited by mousey

I have not seen a tux on a Carnival cruise lately. Definitely on other lines.

Go ahead and wear it. Just because there may not be many others doesn't mean you will be out of place, you will just be the sharpest looking person in the room and I don't see that as being a bad thing at all.