Do you disinfect your cabin upon arrival?

Kobayashi

Never done it to the cabin, the steward does it before you arrive. I have taken a water test kit to the hot tub to see if someone has pee'd in it however.:D

Thank you for NOT sharing the Hot Tub water test results

:D

Edited by Sam.Seattle

We usually use Clorox Wipes on planes , hotel rooms and in staterooms - even if it's just to wipe off the tv remote in rooms. Started doing this after becoming very ill with pneumonia shortly after a cross country flight in 2009. Good habit but we neglected to use the wipes in our stateroom on our Feb 2014 cruise. Both hubby and I suffered from coughs the last day of the 11 day cruise and were miserable for the next two weeks. By the way I did see and hear our room steward coughing during the cruise. We do travel extensively for business and pleasure and are normally quite healthy.

In my humble opinion the dirtiest, most germ-laden thing that we all handle - not just on cruises, but everyday - is money ! ! ! Notes as well as coin. I'm just wondering how people who feel the need to disinfect their cabin deal with handling money.

In my humble opinion the dirtiest, most germ-laden thing that we all handle - not just on cruises, but everyday - is money ! ! ! Notes as well as coin. I'm just wondering how people who feel the need to disinfect their cabin deal with handling money.

Credit cards, Paypal, Square and online banking - either PC or apps. I've gone weeks without ever having to touch paper money or coins.

Never done it to the cabin, the steward does it before you arrive. I have taken a water test kit to the hot tub to see if someone has pee'd in it however.:D

.....you know it is a long walk (stumble) from the pubs located in the bow section of the ship to the stern where a large number of rooms are located so the hot tubs are an "oasis" where some need to "relieve themselves" after a hard night of drinking.......just sayin'................:D

• 3 weeks later...

We do bring wipes and disinfect the room. It has worked until our last cruise. We were on the sailing of the Explorer of the Seas which had over 700 cases of Noro. We both were sick on that one. Believe we were infected outside our room, not from in our room. This was the first time we caught Noro in 28 cruises.

We do bring wipes and disinfect the room. It has worked until our last cruise. We were on the sailing of the Explorer of the Seas which had over 700 cases of Noro. We both were sick on that one. Believe we were infected outside our room, not from in our room. This was the first time we caught Noro in 28 cruises.

So if you were infected outside of your room, then why even bother wiping down your stateroom to begin with?

So if you were infected outside of your room, then why even bother wiping down your stateroom to begin with?

I look at it as a simple way to eliminate some germs in an area you'll be spending a lot of time in. You obviously can't eliminate all germs, and can certainly catch something from common areas, but I just think of it as possibly limiting my exposure.

I do use wipes and wash my hands a lot, but I don't make myself crazy over the possibility of getting sick.

July 2012 ~ Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska

A majority of respiratory illnesses are caused by germs/viruses picked-up in the air. Wiping down your cabin is not going to protect you from being near a passenger with a germ/virus spreading cough, sneeze, etc. So if that is a concern to you we suggest that you purchase a Biomask and wear it 24/7, 365 days a year. Here is a link to a pretty decent mask you can purchase for just a little over $200 :)

http://www.tigermedical.com/Products/Biomask-Antiviral-Face-Masks__MEDBIOM2001A-.aspx?utm_source=GoogleProductAds&utm_medium=cpc&gdftrk=gdfV27285_a_7c881_a_7c2125_a_7cec42a7bd_d_3595_d_4cd4_d_bfdf_d_1466997d5ed0&gclid=CIffxciH1L0CFRFnOgod63oAYQ

We also think it might be helpful to wear a head to toe Tyvek (a Dupont product) coveralls whenever you go out of your cabin, your home, or anywhere on earth. Then every time you return, quickly remove this suit and have it properly washed in very hot water.

Of course even taking these precautions are not 100%....but they might help :)

Hank

P.S. We have managed to avoid any serious illness in over 3 1/2 years on cruise ships. Our secret is simple....drink plenty of booze. If alcohol is good enough to sterilize things on the outside of the body, imagine how effective it is inside the body!

How do you know that it worked?

Cause and effect means that you do something enough times to be statistically significant and a given effect occurs more time than effective. You can define the level of confidence of a cause and effect trial.

Negative cause and effect is meaningless. What you are saying is that I did not do something and no negative outcome occurred. How can you prove that the absence of an outcome is a result of not performing an action? You can't.

If it makes you happy to sanitize your room, go ahead and do it but be aware that you are helping to create a race of sanitizer resistant bugs which will eventually create the need to even stronger santitizers.

DON

I look at it as a simple way to eliminate some germs in an area you'll be spending a lot of time in. You obviously can't eliminate all germs, and can certainly catch something from common areas, but I just think of it as possibly limiting my exposure.

I do use wipes and wash my hands a lot, but I don't make myself crazy over the possibility of getting sick.

This is the definition of Norovirus -

"Noroviruses (NoV) are a genetically diverse group of single-stranded RNA, non-enveloped viruses belonging to the Caliciviridae family.[25] According to the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, the genus Norovirus has one species, which is called Norwalk virus.[1] Serotypes, strains and isolates include:[26]

Norwalk virus;

Hawaii virus;

Snow Mountain virus;

Mexico virus;

Desert Shield virus;

Southampton virus;

Lordsdale virus;

Wilkinson virus.[27]"

Do you see the word germ anywhere in the definition? Killing all the germs in your cabin may help with some illness but it will have no effect on Noro.

DON

This is the definition of Norovirus -

"Noroviruses (NoV) are a genetically diverse group of single-stranded RNA, non-enveloped viruses belonging to the Caliciviridae family.[25] According to the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, the genus Norovirus has one species, which is called Norwalk virus.[1] Serotypes, strains and isolates include:[26]

Norwalk virus;

Hawaii virus;

Snow Mountain virus;

Mexico virus;

Desert Shield virus;

Southampton virus;

Lordsdale virus;

Wilkinson virus.[27]"

Do you see the word germ anywhere in the definition? Killing all the germs in your cabin may help with some illness but it will have no effect on Noro.

DON

Well according to the EPA the wipes I use are effective against noro. I was just using the word germ in a casual conversation to mean all that disease causing stuff like bacteria and viruses. Ok, maybe it's not the exact definition of germ, but I don't see the point of copy/pasting the definition of noro here, we've already established that it's a virus.

I never said I thought wiping down my cabin would mean I'd never get sick, I only see it as something I can do to possibly reduce the chance. If you kill some viruses or bacteria, you are lessening your exposure. Maybe I'll still get exposed somewhere else and of course wiping down the cabin isn't going to kill every virus and bacteria.

At the very least when I do this I almost always pull up some dirt, so at a minimum it keeps my stuff cleaner.

Edited by iHeartGlaciers

Well, I guess many of us have our phobias :). We have a family member who will not go to movie theaters because she obsesses about rats running through the theater in the dark. And there are sure plenty of other folks who suffer from various levels of germophobia and spend part of their day cleaning, washing, etc. Each to their own :)

Hank

Nope, never have, likely never will.

Never had noro or anything like it. Common cold, yes, a couple of times, but incubation period would indicate I probably caught it days before sailing.

If I had a compromised immune system, that'd be a different story.

Edited by srlafleur

I read in another thread about someone cleaning their cabin as soon as they enter. So I purchased some disinfectant wipes to do the same on my next cruise - less than 48 hours! Does anyone else do this and do you have a cleaning ritual?

No I do not clean/disinfect my cabin on arrival. If I was worried about catching something from the world we live in I would never leave my house. Of course, to each his/her own.