Caesar salad?

Joie

I love a good caesar with real anchovies, but I found every night something better on the menu and I cannot order two appetizers as I am trying to not completely blow the diet. My daughter had it every night though and loved it.

Has an anchovy taste in the dressing.

There are definitely anchovies in it. I asked two waiters if the dressing was made with raw egg since real Caesar dressing is and both responded with "there are anchovies in it". Still don't know the raw egg answer. :D

I liked their Caesar salad. I didn't have it last trip due to the egg question.

In my experience, the ones in the MDR don't have anchovies actually on the salad. The room service ones do (or so I have been told - and therefore have never gotten one). I didn't know that you could get one at the pizza place. Good to know - I will check thay out!

I started ordering the caesar on my first fantasy cruise 3 years ago. I enjoyed it and continued to order it several times on each of the following 6 fantasy cruises. I had never eaten a caesar before the fantasy. Recently, on my wife's birthday, we ate at our favorite restaurant. It's a nice restaurant but not extremely high priced. The average entrée is around $30. We ordered the caesar and I was surprised at how much better it was than the fantasy. My wife said, what did you expect? You paid $8 for this salad. It shouldn't be any comparison. I had never noticed before other menu items being so much different than typical restaurant quality.

Traditional Caesar Salad should have real anchovies in it and not just a "taste" in the dressing but I suppose that is not the norm these days.

Sorry but this is 100% incorrect.

The original Caesar salad recipe attributed to restaurateur Caesar Cardini, did not contain pieces of anchovy; the slight anchovy flavor comes from the Worcestershire sauce. Anchovies in an ingredient in Worcestershire sauce....(go to your pantry and check for yourself)

.....and I would bet my cruise that there is no raw egg in the Caesar dressing on the ship......just too much risk for salmonella issues. (On the menu there is no * shown which is the public health advisory about consuming raw and undercooked, meat, poultry, egg, fish etc)

Edited by lostdart1

We have loved the Caesar salad on our cruises so much, we actually got the recipe from the chef on the Miracle. Of course, it was for 500 servings, but we live in Key West, where we know many chefs who were happy to break it down for us. No, they use pasteurized egg instead of raw egg, and anchovy paste instead of anchovies, but other than that it's easy to replicate the recipe. We make it all the time. We still both order it every night of our cruises. Best.Salad.Ever.:)