First time on Celebrity - any best kept secrets on Silhouette?

janiss815

Hi everyone, we will be cruising Silhouette in August out of Venice. It is our 7th or 8th cruise but first time on Celebrity. We are very excited to try this cruise line since we've heard such great things about it especially the Solstice class!! We are a family of 4 - kids are 7 and 11 and they will be going with us.

My question is are there best kept secrets on the Silhouette - some things you wish you knew about the ship - things to do and places to eat that not too many people know about, secret places to find a lounge chair or quiet time, any advice for a newbie...

Thank you in advance and looking forward to hearing from you all!!!

We were on silhouette last year with our 12 year old son for our first cruise with Celebrity. A few thoughts in no particular order,

Do take the kids to Qsine they will love it and so will you. The only mistake you can make is ordering too many dishes. The lawn club grille is another great alternative family dining venue.

There is usually a brunch on one of the sea days with an amazing spread, photo demanding presentation, ice sculptures etc , check the newsletter carefully as it is not always advertised very well.

Port side of the sunset bar is for smokers, sit on the starboard side if you wish to avoid.

Playing boule on the grass is another great treat as a family activity.

TV has some free on demand movies which are reasonably recent including family ones. Paid ones are also available.

Broadband is really expensive, bringing hand held electronic games that work offline is advisable if your kids cannot do without a fix.

If you have a port balcony cabin it's a great place for the Venice sail away. Equally the starboard side for the sail in if you are returning to Venice.

The Ice cream is amazing at cafe al bacio

Our cruise was very port intensive so our son never actually made it to the kids club but if the staff there are as excellent as everywhere else then the kids will not go far wrong.

If your kids like restaurants the waiters will make a fuss of them and do their best to help you around any food pickiness. The choice of food is pretty broad in the MDR and we certainly never had an evening where our son didn't find something on the menu to his taste. If they don't like restaurants or find the food choices a bit exotic then the choice in the buffet is excellent either as back up or as a primary choice. We always held out the promise that if the dining room choices were a disaster for our son there was always the back up of pizza or a burger on room service. We never needed to use it.

When getting back on board if it is busy head for the lift bank on the opposite side of the ship. Seems simple but we often found that there was virtually no one there whilst there was a huge queue for the near four lifts.

Have a great time, it's a great ship and the one thing we noticed in comparison to other lines we have sailed with was the quality of the staff, the service was excellent. We all enjoyed it so much we are going back on her again this year.

Hi everyone, we will be cruising Silhouette in August out of Venice. It is our 7th or 8th cruise but first time on Celebrity. We are very excited to try this cruise line since we've heard such great things about it especially the Solstice class!! We are a family of 4 - kids are 7 and 11 and they will be going with us.

My question is are there best kept secrets on the Silhouette - some things you wish you knew about the ship - things to do and places to eat that not too many people know about, secret places to find a lounge chair or quiet time, any advice for a newbie...

Thank you in advance and looking forward to hearing from you all!!!

Your kids will enjoy Qsine and the Lawn Grill. Also the "free barbecue" grill is above the pool deck and you can get usual hot dogs, burgers and fries- you kids (and you) will enjoy them. Nice to consider an Alcove for the day-

I am sure that it will be a great experience for you and your family.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Thank you scifimonkey, those are great pointers!!! Love it. I am keeping notes and added what you have suggested. Yes, these are the types of things I would like to know! The kids like restaurants and aren't picky but aren't too adventurous either...I'm sure they will enjoy Qsine since you and Cruiseaholic suggested the same thing. We do have a balcony port side so you have me very excited for the sail away! Is ice cream at Cafe Bacio free or are they the for fee "gelatos" - is there free ice cream on board???

Happy2cruise, we will definitely check out the Porch!

MollyFlyer, boo! :( I love learning from other people's experience...I hope people are more open to sharing "secrets"!! lol

Make the most of the sail away past St Marks Square as you will be one of the last on a solstice sized ship to be able to enjoy it. From November the big ships are going to be banned from Central Venice. Make sure you have the camera ready!

Silhouette is amazing! We were on last month. Here are my suggestions:

Don't miss the homemade ice cream in the oceanview cafe. Available all the time, free.

At breakfast, they have a made to order omelet station. Yum!

If you don't like your pillow, request a nice feathery one (or in my case, a flatter one) and your stateroom attendant will bring you some nice ones to choose from...and no, we weren't in Aqua class or any suite, just a cheapo balcony room.

Don't miss the delicious grilled burgers at the Mast Grill.

Awesome! Thank you! Getting more and more excited about our trip.

Does Celebrity do afternoon tea with pastries and finger sandwiches? Carnival had afternoon tea on sea days in the MDR. It was a nice touch and my daughter and I enjoyed it as our time together

Edited by janiss815

Gelato at Cafe al Bacio is an extra charge item, but there is no-extra-charge ice cream at the buffet

YES, BUT........I don't recall the exact times but from approximately 5-7 PM the gelato is buy one get one free...........AND two scoops is same price as one.......Our friend from Canada said that the Gelato was "close" to the stuff they had in Italy".....With Sushi and Gelato..........THEN you have to go to the Dining Room.........Cruising is really hard work....How's that for a secret??:D

Silhouette is the MOST Beautiful of the S class ships we have been on. Much of the art work was transplanted from the Celebrity Mercury..........also a beautiful old ship now sailing as a Mein Schiff.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers