Have you ever...

beachpeke

I have. Although not for a cruise- I was in Baghdad for a month for work. While they are nice, and reduce the size and didn't wrinkle too much (I just had tshirts and jeans), it allowed me to pack more and go over the weight limit. So- be careful and watch the weight! :)

My oldest daughter used them - same result. We had to do some last minute shuffling at the airport to avoid paying fees for her overweight bag. I have found that with my suitcase expanded I can fit approximately 49lbs of clothes, accessories, and souvenirs - that works for me :)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Space bags are expensive! Look for 2-gallon ziplock bags instead. Don't bother putting jeans or shorts in (they don't compress much) but absolutely t-shirts and shirts/blouses, pajamas, swimsuits.

Fold them neatly, slide in a stack, and zip almost shut. Put a pillow on top and sit on it, and slide the zipper shut. Our stuff stays neat in the bag and looks great when we unpack.

Not Space Bags, but we use the 2 1/2 gallon jumbo ziplock baggies. Underwear packs nicely as does Tee Shirts. About 3 polo shirts slide in perfectly. We pack in these bags and then they go in the suitcases.

I use those too only instead of packing all underwear or t's in one bag, I pack one pair of underwear, one pair of socks, one t-shirt in a bag. It works great because if they search my luggage, everything doesn't get all unfolded and messed up. Then when I get ready to take a shower in the morning, I just grab a bag and I'm ready to go. Plus it makes it easy to unpack. Just pille the bags on a shelf in the closet.

I also take a tux and will have the suspenders, cuff links,tie, vest, buttons all in one bag.

How do you suck them down when you get ready to leave the ship?

I have the kind that you roll to expel the air. I don't use them for anything that I mind getting wrinkled, such as underwear, pj's, swimsuits. When we're not traveling I will use them for storage of seasonal clothing. The quality is great with the Eagle Creek, I have used cheaper brands in the past only to find they leak within a few uses. Zip top bags are good to use as well, they just don't compress like a compression bag does. I use those for damp or smelly clothes for the trip home, as I don't want to have to discard my good compression bags.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-compression-sac-medium/d/1063

There is a video to watch on the above link.

Edit to add, I prefer the medium size bags, the large are just too large and take up lots of suitcase space.

Edited by Happy ks

I use the 2 gallon zip-locks, along with just about every other size for my packing. Found the tip on here YEARS ago and it's the best tip ever. So easy to pack with them and no worries about going over the weight limit or looking to the steward to help with a vacuum cleaner at the end of the cruise and the expense is nothing. I get them at the Dollar Store. Everything for the snack bags for jewelry to the 2-gal for shoes and an outfit like capris and top. When I arrive, I wipe out the drawers, toss the zip-locks in and I'm finished unpacked. On the last day, my dirty clothes are back in the zip-lock (that I took with me when I showered). I put the dirty outfit in the zip lock when I take the clean outfit out of the zip lock. If it will be worn again, it goes on a hanger in the closet. Easy.

I use those too only instead of packing all underwear or t's in one bag, I pack one pair of underwear, one pair of socks, one t-shirt in a bag. It works great because if they search my luggage, everything doesn't get all unfolded and messed up. Then when I get ready to take a shower in the morning, I just grab a bag and I'm ready to go. Plus it makes it easy to unpack. Just pille the bags on a shelf in the closet.

I also take a tux and will have the suspenders, cuff links,tie, vest, buttons all in one bag.

What a great idea. :D I usually have "his" and "hers" bags - either socks or underwear - but I think I'll be changing that. I can put 1 days worth of socks and underwear for DH and I in each bag - perfect.

I have used them, but find that they rip and leak or just leak for no reason, then if you forget to get something, you have to go through the whole process again. I much prefer packing cubes. I use the ones from Ebags in all different sizes. I used to think they were a waste I would never spend money on them, but I caved and tried them and now I love them and have them in all different sizes.

What a great idea. :D I usually have "his" and "hers" bags - either socks or underwear - but I think I'll be changing that. I can put 1 days worth of socks and underwear for DH and I in each bag - perfect.

Do you label the bags Monday, Tuesday...? :D

Space bags work well on puffy, airy clothes like sweaters or down jackets. As noted, you save only space, not weight. Also sweaters and down jackets just spring back up, no wrinkle worries. We have used them successfully for cold weather cruises, such as a recent one to Antarctica.

For the return, we borrow a vacuum hose from the stewardess. The space bags work well, as advertised, but only for specific and limited purposes.

Rather than packing items flat, I roll them before putting them in the bags. They come out almost crease-free.

That is what I do too.I also like the extra protection of putting them in the zip lock bags.A friend of mine had her luggage waiting out in the rain to be loaded and everything inside the luggage was wet when she opened it.

Laura

used Space Bags to save space in your luggage? From the commercials it looks like a good concept, but I think your clothes would be so wrinkled that you couldn't wear them.

We've used them for sweatshirts and sweaters for Alaska and Northern Europe.

I used the kind that you roll the air out of, doesn't need a vacuum.

If you don't overcrowd the clothes in it they don't wrinkle. We lay the items flat in the bag, roll out the air, then lay the bag flat in the suitcase.

We have and don't anymore.

-Create more weight

-Clothes were wrinkled

-Couldn't compress the vacuum sealer types on the way home

-They really only work for super bulky clothes like winter coats and sweaters

-Ugh, and once we accidently packed a dirty shirt in one. OMG big mistake! :p

We now try to pack lightly by bringing things that can be mixed and matched as well as rolling our clothes.

How do you suck them down when you get ready to leave the ship?

Easier done than said---

Remove cap

Move vinyl flap to expose hole

Sit, roll or otherwise manipulate bag to remove air.

Quickly replace vinyl flap

Put cap in place.

Practice a few times at home. Have done this many times.